Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 01:55 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
I heard Germany is spending $2.5 billion euros to reduce the cost of taking trams, intercity rail, and buses all Summer nationwide by 90% and 9 Euros a month on Deutsche Bahn to help curb driving. You read that right, 9 euros for an entire MONTH of travel by train anywhere in the entire country effective June 1 - August 31.

Would love to see the same kind of initiatives in the US on things like Amtrak and light rail. Virginia did do a $10 ride special for the months of April and May this year to anywhere within the state and to DC which I took advantage of with trips to Charlottesville and DC, but if initiatives as far reaching like what Germany is doing was more common across the US I would definitely take the train much more that I do currently.

What's interesting is I go to Germany often to visit family and complaining about Deutsche Bahn is every bit as popular over there as complaining about Amtrak is here. The difference is they complain about a train being 30 minutes late while we complain about a train sometimes being 3 hour late or delayed lol.

You won't be able to use intercity rail services (i.e. the product comparable to Amtrak) with the 9 Euro ticket, only regional trains. While it will still be possible to travel across the country that way, it will be much slower and less convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 02:35 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
I rode Amtrak only once....

Depew, NY to NYC ...then NYC to Tampa...

Along the Hudson Valley was great...it was October and fall colors were amazing.

NYC to Tampa was felt very long...sitting upright for hours and hours...
mysteriously stopping around midnight for 2 hours at DC...
the train then made a planned stop at Jacksonville, Florida....half of the train going to Miami,
the other half to Tampa.

It was interesting, and I like trains, but I said never again...too long on the train
NY to Florida is brutal especially since Amtrak cris cross through Florida.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:38 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Several times.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:55 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,105,500 times
Years ago I did several trips from SLC, UT to Bakersfield, CA (I think). Then one trip from Ogden, UT to La Grande, OR and La Grande, OR to Portland. Enjoyed most of the trips. The train hit some cows in the middle of the night somewhere an hour or two east of Las Vegas. Disabled the engine. Had to have a Union Pacific engine pull us into Las Vegas, but they couldn't connect power to the the cars, so we went without lights or A/C. Got to Vegas and they decided they'd have to bus us the rest of the way. My bus made it about halfway out of Vegas and blew a front tire and nearly crashed. Had to hang out in a gas station parking lot waiting for a new bus to pick us up. Finally got to Bakersfield about 12 hours late. No refund or future discounts offered though. Still, an adventure :-)

Old 06-02-2022, 04:46 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Well going to Miami is awful, because it goes from Jacksonville, SW into Orlando, then farther West into Tampa, then BACK East near Lakeland before cutting down to Miami, turning what should be a 4 hour ride into 8 or 9 hours.

I enjoy taking it from Tampa or Orlando to DC and NYC, as long as I have a roomette. Extremely comfortable and relaxing, food is good (in the actual Diner car, not the concession car,) and you can have all the drinks you want, if you drink.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:33 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
I was so excited when I saw this thread. I am halfway between Tampa and Orlando, Florida and need to go to a graduation in Charlotte, NC in June. I hate flying. I told everybody I was going to take the train. I began to research my options and it was kind of hard to navigate to be honest. I am almost 80 but, I'm breathing and in my right mind. I dont mind the 18-24 hour trip. I read, I watch You Tube on my Apple phone, I do cross word puzzles, I like looking out the window. Although to get a trip I could really afford, I would be doing a lot of traveling at night, I think, and I couldn't afford a sleeper.

I could actually meet the train at Winter Haven, Fl or Lakeland, Fl but that would add 2-3-4 hours to the trip. Getting on at Orlando, it would be abt 18 hours, with a train change once in, I think, NC. That was a little concerning to me, the train change not the time. Also, I have a daughter in Charlotte and one outside Greensboro but, I never could figure out some problems with that, which one to disembark at. Another story and, I could have called Amtrak for clarification, I guess.

The biggest problem I had was quite a few negative reviews about trains being late, not on time, etc, etc. and something very concerning was, being stuck at a station for a long time and the station help locking up at 5:00 pm. Leaving you locked outside, waiting for a train. I never could find out if bathroom facilities were not available, if that happened. I would be traveling alone. I decided it wasnt a good trial run trip, maybe something shorter to see how I liked it. I am very interested.

If it was not too much trouble, just a long ride, I would feel more free to visit my children more often. They are always after me about it. They do not understand or don't want to, I have an almost phobic fear of flying. I do it but, it is nerve jangling for me.

Quote:
Who has ridden on Amtrak before? Most people I talk to have never ridden on it before. It seems rare for people outside the northeast to have ridden on Amtrak. I've ridden on Amtrak numerous times since 2008 up and down the East Coast from New York to North Carolina to Florida. What about y'all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Lots of times! (I don't fly)

--I just did Raleigh to Orlando 3 weeks ago. I did that trip one other time right before the pandemic.
--DC to South Florida a few times
...snipped.....
/very interested in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Use it quite often from Florida to DC and NYC. Love it. It's not the quickest, but it's comfortable, I can work on it if I want to, etc. The roomettes are neat too. I like them for those longer rides.

I take it whenever I can.
The tracks south of DC need to be updated though. Even the regular Amtrak trains from DC up go 110mph. The 79mph top speed from DC down, with many areas being even lower than that, is quite awful.

I also take it at least once a month between Orlando and Tampa. It's cheaper than gas now ($14) and faster than driving on I-4. And again, comfortable.
I may try getting on at Lakeland or Winter Haven and going to Tampa or Orlando for a trial run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
I rode Amtrak only once....

...then NYC to Tampa...

NYC to Tampa was felt very long...sitting upright for hours and hours...
mysteriously stopping around midnight for 2 hours at DC...
the train then made a planned stop at Jacksonville, Florida....half of the train going to Miami,
the other half to Tampa.

It was interesting, and I like trains, but I said never again...too long on the train
Interesting and I will seeing how it goes.

Quote:
That may be a problem. Hopefully, since half the country is moving to Fl and Floridians are trying to get out before the wells go dry, the train travel will get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Well going to Miami is awful, because it goes from Jacksonville, SW into Orlando, then farther West into Tampa, then BACK East near Lakeland before cutting down to Miami, turning what should be a 4 hour ride into 8 or 9 hours.

I enjoy taking it from Tampa or Orlando to DC and NYC, as long as I have a roomette. Extremely comfortable and relaxing, food is good (in the actual Diner car, not the concession car,) and you can have all the drinks you want, if you drink.
I liked your posts and found them informative and helpful. I did find that zig and zagging back and forth a determent when already facing a long ride. Any further comments or tips would be helpful.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:46 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I was so excited when I saw this thread. I am halfway between Tampa and Orlando, Florida and need to go to a graduation in Charlotte, NC in June. I hate flying. I told everybody I was going to take the train. I began to research my options and it was kind of hard to navigate to be honest. I am almost 80 but, I'm breathing and in my right mind. I dont mind the 18-24 hour trip. I read, I watch You Tube on my Apple phone, I do cross word puzzles, I like looking out the window. Although to get a trip I could really afford, I would be doing a lot of traveling at night, I think, and I couldn't afford a sleeper.

I could actually meet the train at Winter Haven, Fl or Lakeland, Fl but that would add 2-3-4 hours to the trip. Getting on at Orlando, it would be abt 18 hours, with a train change once in, I think, NC. That was a little concerning to me, the train change not the time. Also, I have a daughter in Charlotte and one outside Greensboro but, I never could figure out some problems with that, which one to disembark at. Another story and, I could have called Amtrak for clarification, I guess.
I am a little confused...you are halfway between Tampa and Orlando but going to Winter Haven or Lakeland would add 2-3-4 hours to your trip? That seems strange...

Overall 18 hours is a little concerning to me for an older traveler who doesn't have a lot of experience with Amtrak. Yes I would suggest a short run to see how you like it...but even then that doesn't really prepare you for long distance train rides.

If you do end up giving it a go, one perhaps useful nugget is that you can do an overnight layover <24 hours for free. So if you wanted to stop in Greensboro on the way to/from Charlotte you could see your daughter there for a quick visit. The only caveat is that you'd have to be on a route that either has multiple trains per day or has multiple train lines serving it for you to meet the SUB-24 hour requirement. But Greensboro-Charlotte indeed has multiple service per day.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 06-04-2022, 12:53 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
22 hour trip. It was not fun to be seatbound for 22 hours. I got up and walked/stretched frequently but it was still quite uncomfortable to sit so long. I could not fall asleep. The "regulars" piled into the observation car almost immediately and I could never find a seat there no matter how many times I got up and checked for an empty seat. Crummy experience. I would only take the train if I had to and on this occassion, I had to. It is not something I would ever look forward to doing again. At least the seats and leg room were ample.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:48 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
I used to do New England to Philly weekly. The track infrastructure in Connecticut and Westchester County is pathetic. Once you’re west of the Hudson, it’s outstanding from New Jersey to DC.

Unless you book a saver fare a month out, Amtrak pricing is awful. On short notice, it’s cheaper to fly.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:07 AM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
For solos or couple, 250 miles or less, Amtrak is hard to beat on pricing and convenience.
Seattle to Glacier NP or points in Montana. It's a long drive, stressful because of the need to stay alert. Amtrak is a good logical alternative.

Seattle - PDX. Lots of fun on Game days with a group. Light Rail is convenient at both ends.
Seattle - Willamette Valley OR points. A bit longer but train hits max allowable speed.
Trak is well maintained by UP & BNSF.
Cost is reasonable, No fuel surcharges yet, Food acceptable. Alcohol served. Bistrol car on Cascades-Amtrak is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.