Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 02:43 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Poughkepsie area for sure. You want all that and young people? Stay East of the Hudson

Im 25 and would not live west of the Hudson in New York above West Point

Another city that meets this criteria to a T is Stamford CT. I find when people transition into maturing and leave Manhattan and Brooklyn, Stamford is a big first step in adulting when its time to leave NYC and get going. Great place to meet people, have a car and access amenities, etc
Why would you not live in NY west of the Hudson? If anything, the types of places he is looking for would be in that part of the state within the map coverage area.

Stamford would be too big and outside of the coverage area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Second this. Unless too large for OP’s liking, Ithaca might be the best choice. It checks all boxes and the downtown area is incredibly vibrant largely due to the university presence. Beautiful surrounding areas too.
I’m wondering what would be too big as well. Ithaca within the city has about 30,000 people and about 105,000 in the metro area/Tompkins County.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:55 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why would you not live in NY west of the Hudson? If anything, the types of places he is looking for would be in that part of the state within the map coverage area.

Stamford would be too big and outside of the coverage area.
I didnt even see the map lol. Whoops.

West of the Hudson is just the catskills and smaller seasonal vacation/college towns like Cooperstown and Oneonta. If you want young year-round, I would say stick more towards Poughkepsie area.

Maybe New Paltz is an exception. Absolutely gorgeous

Old 08-13-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I didnt even see the map lol. Whoops.

West of the Hudson is just the catskills and smaller seasonal vacation/college towns like Cooperstown and Oneonta. If you want young year-round, I would say stick more towards Poughkepsie area.

Maybe New Paltz is an exception. Absolutely gorgeous
If you look further west, you do have places like Binghamton, Ithaca, Kingston and even Cortland and select suburbs of Utica as well within the green areas of the map. All would be solid area places due to having some/all of the amenities the OP wants. Perhaps some PA small cities/towns as well.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:33 PM

35 posts, read 39,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
New Paltz immediately comes to mind for me, great little college town in a nice area in the foothills of the Catskills.

I know you mentioned New Hope / Lambertville is outside of the area you're looking in, but if you have flexibility they are great towns. Would add Princeton as well in that general area of NJ (though $$$).

Interesting, New Paltz is one I haven't considered but could fit the bill. I do go back and forth on the other ones, the circle was already pushing my max area so I'm really not sure I'm willing to go beyond it but that'll take some consideration. Trying to stay within 2 hours of family.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think I'm getting the general idea of what type of town the OP wants. How about Bristol CT?

Probably would be a fit but definitely way outside of the area I'm looking at.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post
Alright.

It's just weird, because as a New Yorker, the tri-state area is only NY, NJ and CT, but ok.

Growing up in PA I always heard PA, NY, NJ as tri-state lol. Guess it depends where you're from!

Old 08-13-2022, 04:39 PM

Great suggestions everyone thanks! I agree Ithaca looked great but not within that darker area. I thought Oneonta was maybe like a smaller Ithaca but didn't realize its a vacation town, same with Cooperstown.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Near New Paltz in the same area/county are places like Kingston, a small city of about 23,000 and Saugerties, an artsy town to the north are within the green area. https://visitulstercountyny.com/

https://www.kingston-ny.gov/Tourism
Saugerties Tourism Home

Same for towns south of Utica such as Clinton and New Hartford, with the latter having plenty of shopping and access to adjacent Utica(just outside of the green area). https://www.villageofclinton.com/

https://www.townofnewhartfordny.gov/
https://www.sangertown.com/
https://www.facebook.com/100061924996949/

Thanks, I'll give those a look!

Old 08-13-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I’m wondering what would be too big as well. Ithaca within the city has about 30,000 people and about 105,000 in the metro area/Tompkins County.

I'm not really sure myself lol. I think my ideal would be between 10K-30K people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.