Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 08:09 AM

35 posts, read 39,150 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am hoping for some help on finding an ideal town for me. I am 34 years old, single, and looking for somewhere with some job opportunities (or at least within an hour commute) and opportunities to meet some people my age (clubs, sports teams, gyms). A big important factor is a walkable downtown area that is safe with at least a handful of bars and restaurants and things to do.

Affordable is best but lets disregard that for now. I find college towns or similar are what I like but does not need to be and I definitely don't want one that is overrun (like any big ten area). I don't want too small but not as big as say Scranton even.

I used this neat tool I found (https://www.smappen.com/) that gives me the driving distance from one or more areas and I want to be anywhere in that darker circle (attached). I'm not very familiar with NY...Oneonta looked interesting. I'm wondering if there are some sleeper towns I haven't looked into yet. I appreciate any feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Great mid size town in the tri-state-map.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 08:37 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
Bethlehem, PA and Poughkeepsie, NY are what immediately come to mind.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:11 AM

Thanks! I've definitely been looking at Bethlehem, Poughkeepsie seems a bit crime ridden and rundown from what I'm seeing. They are probably both a little larger than what I'm looking for as well.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:29 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Wait...Are you looking in the Tri-state area(NYC) or are you looking for a town/city that fits your criteria in parts of the Northeast? If it is the latter, then Oneonta would fit, as a small city of about 14,000 with 2 colleges. It is about an hour from Binghamton and Schenectady on I-88.

Poughkeepsie varies and has a couple of colleges in the immediate area.

Easton PA has Lafayette College and isn't too far from Bethlehem.

Binghamton also comes to mind when looking at your map, as it fits your population criteria and has a state university in Vestal and a community college just north of the city.

If you are open to the places in the light green, Cortland is a city of about 18,000 with a state college and is about 30-35 minutes from Syracuse, 25 minutes from Ithaca(which would also fit) and 35-40 minutes or so from Binghamton. Bloomsburg PA is similar in relation to its proximity to the Scranton- Wilkes Barre area and in terms of having a state university.

So, those locations could be worth looking into.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:52 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Check out Stroudsburg-East Stroudsburg PA, home of East Stroudsburg State University.

https://www.visitdowntownstroudsburg.com/

Old 08-11-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wait...Are you looking in the Tri-state area(NYC) or are you looking for a town/city that fits your criteria in parts of the Northeast? If it is the latter, then Oneonta would fit, as a small city of about 14,000 with 2 colleges. It is about an hour from Binghamton and Schenectady on I-88.

Poughkeepsie varies and has a couple of colleges in the immediate area.

Easton PA has Lafayette College and isn't too far from Bethlehem.

Binghamton also comes to mind when looking at your map, as it fits your population criteria and has a state university in Vestal and a community college just north of the city.

If you are open to the places in the light green, Cortland is a city of about 18,000 with a state college and is about 30-35 minutes from Syracuse, 25 minutes from Ithaca(which would also fit) and 35-40 minutes or so from Binghamton. Bloomsburg PA is similar in relation to its proximity to the Scranton- Wilkes Barre area and in terms of having a state university.

So, those locations could be worth looking into.

Yeah not necessarily Tri-State, was just trying to give a general gist of what area I was referring to. I'll look into those, but Binghamton I've heard is pretty rough, am I mistaken on that?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Stroudsburg-East Stroudsburg PA, home of East Stroudsburg State University.

https://www.visitdowntownstroudsburg.com/

Thanks, I did go down and look at them the other week. The downtown in Stroudsburg was definitely what I'm looking for in terms of size and whatnot, but looked like it was rather rundown. Heard there is a lot of gang crime and stuff spilling from NYC...

Old 08-11-2022, 10:05 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
New Hope PA
Lambertville NJ

I'd also look at the towns of the Hudson valley (Westchester County) and Rockland County, NY, many of which have train access to NYC.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:30 AM

106 posts, read 60,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy202 View Post
Thanks! I've definitely been looking at Bethlehem, Poughkeepsie seems a bit crime ridden and rundown from what I'm seeing. They are probably both a little larger than what I'm looking for as well.
Those are not "mid-size" cities in the "tri-state" area. You are looking for towns in New York State and Pennsylvania (that's not even tri-state).

Check for small college and tourist towns. Those are your best options.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:47 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy202 View Post
Yeah not necessarily Tri-State, was just trying to give a general gist of what area I was referring to. I'll look into those, but Binghamton I've heard is pretty rough, am I mistaken on that?

Thanks!
Binghamton varies as well. It is a city and in turn will have some crime, but I don't know if I would go around saying the city is completely off limits or anything like that. If anything, it may be a sleeper in terms of having quite a bit for its size. It has an orchestra, an opera company, museums, a zoo, festivals, minor league Baseball and Hockey, Division 1 sports at Binghamton University, bars/nightlife that goes until 3 am some nights, some jobs(BAE Systems, L3 Harris, the University and CC, health care, Security Mutual Life Insurance, a Dick's Sporting goods Warehouse, Lockheed Martin in nearby Owego, Columbian Financial, etc.) and quick access to mountains(the Poconos and Catskills), among other things. Not bad for a metro of about 250,000. https://visitbinghamton.org/

It also has suburbs. So, given that the city is only like 10 square miles(with about 46,000 people), you can live in a suburb, but still be within quick access to amenities. Vestal, which is where Binghamton University is located, has some relatively upscale areas, with parts of villages such as Johnson City and Endicott offering walkability and places like Endwell, Port Dickinson and parts of the town of Chenango being good options outside of the city.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-11-2022 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.