Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 12:55 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But they are actually moving away. Since the 1990s native-born MA residents (mostly white) have been leaving MA at a much greater rate than Americans move in. That's well documented maybe not in whatever town you're referring to but in nearly every sizable or moderately diverse community in MA, NJ, CT etc... It's an entirely different phenomenon than NoVa which does not have a declining white population whatsoever.

In towns where diversity isn't the issue its the declining birth rate and having a home that's appreciated massively in value that you can cash out on.

The fact of the matter is NoVa is not experiencing white flight. Nothing more needs to be said.
Yes, they are moving away. But white flight is (IMHO) a kinda loaded term which really can only be used in certain scenarios (white folks leaving areas because there are too many people of color for them to feel comfortable any longer).

It's worth noting if you look at the South, the rural black belt has the same sort of declines as small town white America. Pretty much everyone young is moving away. People in the Mississippi delta region move to Jackson. People in the black belt of Alabama move to Birmingham or Huntsville. Black people in rural Georgia move to Atlanta. Black people in South Carolina move to Charleston or Columbia. Black people in North Carolina move to Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham. These areas are emptying out for much the same reason a lot of white areas are emptying out - young people have more opportunity elsewhere. Race is not really a factor.

The other areas which see white declines it's more just due to the demographic factors I outlined - more white deaths, less white births, etc. In a lot of desirable suburbs in the Northeast, the main dynamic is that people age in place and do not sell their homes to new families, meaning the population slowly declines as less kids are in the community, but there is no general abandonment. Sometimes rich people buy second homes as well, again leading to population decline. The families move somewhere that real estate is cheaper. All of this is gonna come crashing down in 20 years or so once the boomers have died off, but for now there's just a tremendous amount of family-sized homes off market and underutilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 01:05 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yes, they are moving away. But white flight is (IMHO) a kinda loaded term which really can only be used in certain scenarios (white folks leaving areas because there are too many people of color for them to feel comfortable any longer).

It's worth noting if you look at the South, the rural black belt has the same sort of declines as small town white America. Pretty much everyone young is moving away. People in the Mississippi delta region move to Jackson. People in the black belt of Alabama move to Birmingham or Huntsville. Black people in rural Georgia move to Atlanta. Black people in South Carolina move to Charleston or Columbia. Black people in North Carolina move to Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham. These areas are emptying out for much the same reason a lot of white areas are emptying out - young people have more opportunity elsewhere. Race is not really a factor.

The other areas which see white declines it's more just due to the demographic factors I outlined - more white deaths, less white births, etc. In a lot of desirable suburbs in the Northeast, the main dynamic is that people age in place and do not sell their homes to new families, meaning the population slowly declines as less kids are in the community, but there is no general abandonment. Sometimes rich people buy second homes as well, again leading to population decline. The families move somewhere that real estate is cheaper. All of this is gonna come crashing down in 20 years or so once the boomers have died off, but for now there's just a tremendous amount of family-sized homes off market and underutilized.
All that to say is there actually a white fight in any NoVa community? I can name several I could think of quite a few in the northeast. And probably California.

In NoVa there are several things that would prevent white flight. One would be what appears to me the relative lack of community of subdivision and newer developments compared to older, tighter, poorer, formerly industrial cities and suburbs. Those cities are more incestuous and insular than anywhere Ive been to in NoVa. I never lived in Nova but have had friends in Arlington, Woodbridge, Stafford, Falls Church. It's a lifestyle where you are attending broad county schools, magnet schools, driving on highways and shopping oin modern malls. It's not nearly as "on the ground" as the northern cities- you living in Pittsburgh should know what I mean. Or maybe not as Pittsburgh is very white as a city and lacks substantial immigration.

But the cultural/civic competition, and even just vying for physical space is a bit different in Linden NJ, Lowell MA, or Meriden CT than it is in Vienna VA.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:09 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
White flight doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing it meant 30-40 years ago. The white population is declining. You are also seeing an influx of some very successful immigrant groups (Asian/Indian/Persian etc.) that are bringing prosperity to certain places.

In many cases those immigrants are the heir of the “successful nuclear family” that once existed among a large portion of Anglo-Saxons in America.

Old 11-01-2022, 04:10 PM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
All that to say is there actually a white fight in any NoVa community? I can name several I could think of quite a few in the northeast. And probably California.
Part of PWC (i.e. Dale City/Woodbridge) had seen an influx of Hispanics. It's not too different from areas like Gaithersburg or Germantown in MoCo MD, though - i.e. 1960s/1970s suburbs that starts to age with younger white people moving to inner cities (aka central DC but also part of Arlington) instead of living in outer suburb.

https://patch.com/virginia/dalecity/...hics-dale-city

Old 11-01-2022, 06:56 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
White flight doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing it meant 30-40 years ago. The white population is declining. You are also seeing an influx of some very successful immigrant groups (Asian/Indian/Persian etc.) that are bringing prosperity to certain places.
Yup, in my area, the older white population is declining as they cash out on this incredible real estate market in CA and move out of state, a more diverse population is moving in as household income is increasing. Less whites, at least in California, doesn't mean blight or what "white flight" used to mean.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:06 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Part of PWC (i.e. Dale City/Woodbridge) had seen an influx of Hispanics. It's not too different from areas like Gaithersburg or Germantown in MoCo MD, though - i.e. 1960s/1970s suburbs that starts to age with younger white people moving to inner cities (aka central DC but also part of Arlington) instead of living in outer suburb.

https://patch.com/virginia/dalecity/...hics-dale-city
There are some younger white families who move to places like Gainesville, Stafford or Ashburn.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:24 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Yup, in my area, the older white population is declining as they cash out on this incredible real estate market in CA and move out of state, a more diverse population is moving in as household income is increasing. Less whites, at least in California, doesn't mean blight or what "white flight" used to mean.
It's a very niche issue, but in some school districts when upper-middle class Asians become a plurality a lot of white parents become uncomfortable with how the focus of public schools shifts (more focus on test prep/STEM, less emphasis on music, art, and sports) which causes a form of white flight.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:49 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
There are some younger white families who move to places like Gainesville, Stafford or Ashburn.
True...I stand corrected.

I guess basically the white population either move further out (i.e. Dale City / Woodbridge to Stafford County or areas like Germantown / Gaithersburg to Frederick County) or move back into western DC / western inner suburbs (i.e. Arlington / Bethesda) along with gentrifying part of eastern DC (at least SE/NE that's WOTR).

Quote:
It's a very niche issue, but in some school districts when upper-middle class Asians become a plurality a lot of white parents become uncomfortable with how the focus of public schools shifts (more focus on test prep/STEM, less emphasis on music, art, and sports) which causes a form of white flight.
I've definitely see reviews of school saying that the "academic is too intense / high pressure". The difference in culture definitely comes into play here.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:45 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Because they can't compete with Asian students. That's why Harvard and Ivy League schools have an "Asian quota."

Old 11-02-2022, 03:36 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Quote:
Asians are moving into the most expensive zip codes. White families are clamoring to get into those good schools as well. Pretty much a non issue as most people would rather have their kids in high ranking school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.