Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 08:14 PM

3,555 posts, read 2,344,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Minneapolis' radius population at 20 sq mi is 2,761,395
https://mcdc.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/br...ile=on&units=+

Atlanta's radius population at 20 sq mi is 2,858,998

At this point it's close, but Atlanta's sprawl takes over even just by 25 sq miles and opens up an almost 800k advantage over Minneapolis.
Makes sense. MSP simply burns out around the 20-25 miles range, where Atlanta still gorillas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 08:31 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,111,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
You are making the same unfair comparison in reverse towards Minneapolis. You are comparing the most dense part of Atlanta against all of Minn, including the least dense outlying areas. All this really proves is that Atlanta is a bigger metro than Minneapolis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Using MSA (which uses full counties) is not an accurate way to compare population density as the population isn’t evenly distributed geographically. LA county is larger than the state of Rhode Island but 99.5% of its population geographically lives in the lower 1/3rd of it.
That's not what I did, I compared as small area related to the entire metros size, these are small counties in the first ring of there Metros.. Atlanta has a million more people in 1,731 sq mi than Minneapolis does in 1,810 sq mi. This would shock so people when it shouldn't.

Yes Atlanta is bigger than Minneapolis which is part of my point, Normally if a place is bigger you suspect it most be more Urban, but Atlanta is used inaccurately so much as this punch bag for low density people are mislead to think otherwise. Often people point to stats like the total MSA and urbanized area to back this claim. The Metro and Urban probably isn't top 40 in density of MSA or urban area. but substantially Atlanta in 1,700 sq mi is amongst the top 16 most populated places in the country.

Otherwise just cause Atlanta sprawl out to Spalding county ga, doesn't change to fact That people living in Fulton, Cobb, Dekalb, Gwinnett, and Clayton county are living in one most densely populated and develop areas in the country. but people would used the urbanized and etc density as if Dakota County MN, was denser than Cobb county GA or something.

And again I not saying Atlanta obliviously are not the levels of Philly. And some much metros like Seattle and SD punch above there tier and Atlanta. but there people who think places like Minneapolis- St Paul etc core is actually denser than Atlanta core. because what the Urbanize area density says.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Minneapolis' radius population at 20 sq mi is 2,761,395

Atlanta's radius population at 20 sq mi is 2,858,998

At this point it's close, but Atlanta's sprawl takes over even just by 25 sq miles and opens up an almost 800k advantage over Minneapolis.
Quote:
Makes sense. MSP simply burns out around the 20-25 miles range, where Atlanta still gorillas
I'm actually shocked by this outcome because population radius is a weakness for Atlanta because South Fulton isn't that develop. Like 90% of the county population stay in the middle and Northern 2/3 of the County. So otherwise Atlanta in a 25 sq miles radius "with basically less than 100k in a corner" is still slightly more than Minneapolis area. That's how I read resident09 comment. Metros grow different, Atlanta northern Suburbs are a lot denser then the South half.

Last edited by chiatldal; 01-02-2023 at 08:56 PM..

Old 01-02-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I think it proves the core counties of Atlanta’s MSA are much denser than that of Minneapolis but Atlanta’s sprawl is far worse. I mean from what chiatldal says Atlanta fits 3.7 million people into an area of around 1800 sq mi. That’s similar to the total population of the Minneapolis MSA, yet the Minneapolis MSA takes about 8100
sq mi to find that many people. Atlanta’s sprawl (exburban sprawl) though is much worse, thus resulting in one of the lowest UA densities of any city.
To this exactly is my point.

Both of these whole metros are over 7,000 sq mi that's huge, a medium size metro like DC, and Boston are 4,000 sq mi. So I went further. I reduced them down to just the 1,800 sq mi range which is just there inner and start of middle suburban rings.

Joakim3 says Minneapolis burn out but this is less than a quarter the size of either metros, Minneapolis's nor Atlanta's exurbia start there. What happening is Atlanta inner middle suburbia ring is significant denser than Minneapolis. So just by 1,800 sq mi Atlanta is a million more.

So while Minneapolis MSA and urban area is denser on paper, That misleading if you don't know what your reading and what it mean. Reality is by middle suburbia say otherwise is my point.

Last edited by chiatldal; 01-02-2023 at 09:27 PM..

Old 01-02-2023, 09:06 PM

12,939 posts, read 18,794,610 times
About 86% of the Charleston-North Charleston MSA population is in the Charleston urban area.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:08 PM

1,356 posts, read 889,301 times
MSP becomes rural very fast. ATL goes on forever.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:18 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,942,203 times
These are the fastest growing UA (> 1 million pop.) between 2010 and 2020

Population Change
1. Austin, TX: 32.84%
2. Raleigh, NC: 25.06%
3. Orlando, FL: 22.73%
4. Nashville, TN: 19.50%
5. Houston, TX: 18.39%
6. Riverside, CA: 17.80%
7. Jacksonville, FL: 17.10%
8. Las Vegas, NV: 16.47%
9. Seattle, WA: 15.84%
10. Salt Lake City, UT: 15.40%

Land Area Change
1. Austin, TX: 18.47%
2. Riverside, CA: 11.66%
3. Salt Lake City, UT: 8.10%
4. Jacksonville, FL: 8.08%
5. Orlando, FL: 7.85%
6. Raleigh, NC: 7.095
7. Houston, TX: 5.58%
8. Kansas City, MO: 5.36%
9. Las Vegas, NV: 4.44%
10. Richmond, VA: 4.09%

Density Change
1. Charlotte, NC: 24.53%
2. San Francisco, CA: 21.70%
3. Atlanta, GA: 19.52%
4. Seattle, WA: 19.12%
5. Boston, MA: 18.58%
6. Denver, CO: 17.26%
7. Raleigh, NC: 16.78%
8. Washington, DC: 15.19%
9. Nashville, TN: 15.12%
10. Portland, OR: 14.87%

Old 01-02-2023, 11:36 PM

3,555 posts, read 2,344,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
That's not what I did, I compared as small area related to the entire metros size, these are small counties in the first ring of there Metros.. Atlanta has a million more people in 1,731 sq mi than Minneapolis does in 1,810 sq mi. This would shock so people when it shouldn't.

Yes Atlanta is bigger than Minneapolis which is part of my point, Normally if a place is bigger you suspect it most be more Urban, but Atlanta is used inaccurately so much as this punch bag for low density people are mislead to think otherwise. Often people point to stats like the total MSA and urbanized area to back this claim. The Metro and Urban probably isn't top 40 in density of MSA or urban area. but substantially Atlanta in 1,700 sq mi is amongst the top 16 most populated places in the country.

Otherwise just cause Atlanta sprawl out to Spalding county ga, doesn't change to fact That people living in Fulton, Cobb, Dekalb, Gwinnett, and Clayton county are living in one most densely populated and develop areas in the country. but people would used the urbanized and etc density as if Dakota County MN, was denser than Cobb county GA or something.

And again I not saying Atlanta obliviously are not the levels of Philly. And some much metros like Seattle and SD punch above there tier and Atlanta. but there people who think places like Minneapolis- St Paul etc core is actually denser than Atlanta core. because what the Urbanize area density says.
We are talking about an area 50% larger than the state of Rhode Island. Dense should not even be used in the same sentence when in the context of the scale we are operating on.

Theres nothing dense about Atlanta relative to its peer cities. The fact that MSP has more people than Atlanta in any large scale metric is silly to begin with. No one is saying Atlanta is less of a city, it’s simply not dense for a city of its economic influence (which is ultimately what an MSA is)

To put things into context…. Athens, Greece has a metro population the size of Seattle but crushes its 3.1 million UA in 138 sq.mi (3x the density of SF-Oakland which itself is 2x as dense as DC’s urban area).

Our cities are sprawl monsters through and through

Old 01-03-2023, 02:43 AM

Quote:
We are talking about an area 50% larger than the state of Rhode Island. Dense should not even be used in the same sentence when in the context of the scale we are operating on.

Theres nothing dense about Atlanta relative to its peer cities. The fact that MSP has more people than Atlanta in any large scale metric is silly to begin with. No one is saying Atlanta is less of a city, it’s simply not dense for a city of its economic influence (which is ultimately what an MSA is)

To put things into context…. Athens, Greece has a metro population the size of Seattle but crushes its 3.1 million UA in 138 sq.mi (3x the density of SF-Oakland which itself is 2x as dense as DC’s urban area).

Our cities are sprawl monsters through and through
I'm not talking about Europe, I'm talking about relative to the US. And Rhode Island is extremely small with 5 counties. All of the top 30 metro would flow out the state. It's so small Providence MSA nearly cover the the state.

1,800 sq mi is a tiny area there's no metro in the top 50 that is smaller than 2,000 sq mi. Most Metros are in the 3,000 to 5,000 range. 1,800 sq mi is in the range of the middle suburb ring to most US major cities. Atlanta being least dense of it's peers that fine that's a different conversations at least your acknowledging it amongst it's peers, but trying to make it like it's is one of the least dense in general is another, That's over doing it. On paper Atlanta likely isn't top 50 Metro or Urbanized density, but do you really think Atlanta core isn't top 50 in density? Earlier I read in the thread referring to Atlanta " which is among the least dense urban areas, and metros." So I responded. I compared Atlanta to a non peer like Minneapolis one that a has "denser urban area". And Atlanta has a million more in 1,800 sq mi. because just reading that on paper without understanding the flaws it has is misleading.

And this is not just Atlanta but something that happen with other large Sunbelt cities. Just because they sprawl more doesn't change the core regions is actually among the most dense it the country.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:44 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,719,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I'm not talking about Europe, I'm talking about relative to the US. And Rhode Island is extremely small with 5 counties. All of the top 30 metro would flow out the state. It's so small Providence MSA nearly cover the the state.

1,800 sq mi is a tiny area there's no metro in the top 50 that is smaller than 2,000 sq mi. Most Metros are in the 3,000 to 5,000 range. 1,800 sq mi is in the range of the middle suburb ring to most US major cities. Atlanta being least dense of it's peers that fine that's a different conversations at least your acknowledging it amongst it's peers, but trying to make it like it's is one of the least dense in general is another, That's over doing it. On paper Atlanta likely isn't top 50 Metro or Urbanized density, but do you really think Atlanta core isn't top 50 in density? Earlier I read in the thread referring to Atlanta " which is among the least dense urban areas, and metros." So I responded. I compared Atlanta to a non peer like Minneapolis one that a has "denser urban area". And Atlanta has a million more in 1,800 sq mi. because just reading that on paper without understanding the flaws it has is misleading.

And this is not just Atlanta but something that happen with other large Sunbelt cities. Just because they sprawl more doesn't change the core regions is actually among the most dense it the country.
By what metric? The metric to use if you want to find out actual population density in a given urban area is weighted population density stats, not MSA, CSA, UA, or whatever. Weighted population density tells you in what kind of density does an average person residing in a given metro area live. As far as I know, these stats did not come out yet for 2020 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.