Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 11:50 AM

88,883 posts, read 85,381,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Place names in any country are pronounced the way the local people say them, in the same way that people's own names are pronounced the way they personally say them. If I'm speaking Spanish, the word "nevada" is pronounced one way; if I'm speaking English the place-name Nevada is pronounced another way.

It's very obnoxious when someone comes along and tells locals that they ought to be pronouncing their own place names in the way they are said in another language.
Or their own names. I attended a church for a time in which there were three women named "Marcia".

One said it like "Marsha", one said it Mar-CI-a, and the third, who kept getting called by the same name as the second, finally pointed out that she is Latino and her name is MAR-ci-a.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:16 PM

14,419 posts, read 11,863,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or their own names. I attended a church for a time in which there were three women named "Marcia".

One said it like "Marsha", one said it Mar-CI-a, and the third, who kept getting called by the same name as the second, finally pointed out that she is Latino and her name is MAR-ci-a.
In high school, I had a friend named Lucia "loo-SEE-a," and another friend whose last name was Lucia, pronounced "LOO-sha." And now my friend has a baby Lucia "loo-CHEE-a." Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 05:04 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,964,120 times
Anna is an interesting one.

I knew multiple Ah-nna’s in Massachusetts. In the Midwest, I knew only An-ahs.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:02 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,062,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Place names in any country are pronounced the way the local people say them, in the same way that people's own names are pronounced the way they personally say them. If I'm speaking Spanish, the word "nevada" is pronounced one way; if I'm speaking English the place-name Nevada is pronounced another way.

It's very obnoxious when someone comes along and tells locals that they ought to be pronouncing their own place names in the way they are said in another language.
I'm just saying it's understandable how someone might say Ne-vah-da because it is a Spanish word.

Yes, it's also obnoxious when Americans criticize foreigners for not speaking English perfectly, especially in the pronunciation of certain words.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:36 PM

14,419 posts, read 11,863,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Yes, it's also obnoxious when Americans criticize foreigners for not speaking English perfectly, especially in the pronunciation of certain words.
Where did that come from? I said nothing about "Americans" vs "foreigners." Fellow Americans pronounce place-names in my state (California) incorrectly all the time. And I would do the same in another state; have, in fact.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:12 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,108,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Anna is an interesting one.

I knew multiple Ah-nna’s in Massachusetts. In the Midwest, I knew only An-ahs.
Those are two different names: Anna and Ana.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:02 AM

12,241 posts, read 8,167,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Those are two different names: Anna and Ana.
Not always in New England

Old 02-03-2023, 01:44 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,153,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Some people also say "far-est." This should be illegal.

Say "stop." People from different parts of the country will pronounce it differently and that's fine but however you pronounce the o in stop is how you pronounce a short o.

I don't know why people have to go and make orange into iron ore-ange.

If forest was meant to be pronounced fourist we might've gotten around to spelling it that way.

It's like florist. A florist is someone who makes floral arrangements. A floorist is someone who installs flooring.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:28 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,524,360 times
Arr-enge.

I have friends that tease me about it lol

Old 02-03-2023, 04:29 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,524,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Some people also say "far-est." This should be illegal.
I guess I am a criminal then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.