Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 09:07 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times

Advertisements

It's a big deal to have world class universities, airports, and hospitals nearby. Not sure why people are downplaying it.

Say, you're of average means and your child has a rare disease, but you live in eastern Idaho. Good luck.

Same situation, but you live in Modesto. Well, at least you have Stanford medical center 2-3 hours away to help with that.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 01-24-2023 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 09:31 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
It's a big deal to have world class universities, airports, and hospitals nearby. Not sure why people are downplaying it.

Say, you're of average means and your child has a rare disease, but you live in eastern Idaho. Good luck.

Same situation, but you live in Modesto. Well, at least you have Stanford medical center 2-3 hours away to help with that.
Depends on personal taste. I live in a small city that's grown quite a bit. Good thing is that if I wanted to move somewhere more rural I wouldn't have to move very far.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:37 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Diversity, skyline and population density.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:58 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
No wonder KD was a bit standoffish when you asked for a photo? It sounds like you have no problem disturbing athletes, even when having dinner with their wife like with Aaron Judge. Sheesh

I’ve seen many athletes at my old bar and out in public and have never once bothered them and asked for a photo. Probably because I’m not 12 anymore? One of my oldest friends is good friends and business partners with Michael Jordan (they met through their wives) and I’ve met (and had drinks) with him twice and didn’t even ask for a photo.
Good for you and bless your soul. A little bitter sounding are we?…lol.

KD was working out at my gym and asked if he could work in on the machine I was using—he disturbed me; took a pic but no handshake, lol….as for Judge I gave him a good Cuban Cigar in appreciation of his accomplishments after going up to him and he was grateful (gave something of value to get something of value). Very engaging individual, asked questions of me and his wife was cool and appreciative of a entertainment venue I recommended that they ended up going to afterwards. Guess it depends how you approach people and how they respond to you. Wilt Chamberlain’s “geography” theory helps. YMMV, and usually have a good read on people. Don’t always ask for a pic or signature—was happy enough and content with a nice chat with Joe DiMaggio in the 1980’s at a drug store, did not get the sense Jeter would take a pic at Starbucks.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-24-2023 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-24-2023, 10:10 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
The bolded comment used to irk me when I lived in SoCal--hearing but there is so much to do as an excuse for fickle sports fans......maybe I'm an exception as I grew up in sports rabid NYC metro, but we had plenty to do in NY as well regardless of weather (outside of being able to sunbathe at the beach in the middle of winter) and had just as many transplants.

Granted, the Long Island Railroad made it easy to get to Madison Square Garden and, back then, Shea Stadium (or a connecting subway ride to Yankee Stadium) vs. my having to drive to such venues.

(Got a pic with KD, though a bit standoffish....Judge actually got up from dinner with his fiance to take a pic with me--cost me a good cigar--whereas Ronnie Lott was arguably the nicest and easiest to talk to, most down to earth sports great I have ever met.)
It may, but it's true. Also, there's a lot of sports teams here. Even mighty USC with Riley aren't drawing as well as say Texas or Ohio St. You are an exception because you're from the northeast. I love the Dodgers, but I can't make that drive to Chavez, park, fight traffic, possibly fight the drunks, pay 32.00 for a hot dog, etc. I'd rather drive ten minutes up to Newport and enjoy the weather or I'll watch at home.

Sports is just another thing out here, and I think Miami? In Columbus or Athens? Maybe not.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:17 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
Murder rate.

It's just such a localized, usually personal phenomenon that rarely affects most people. I get that it sounds scary, but unless you're doing something you shouldn't be doing with people you shouldn't be doing them with, the chances of getting randomly murdered are pretty miniscule. And we report it on a city level, but really it varies greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood within each city.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
No wonder KD was a bit standoffish when you asked for a photo? It sounds like you have no problem disturbing athletes, even when having dinner with their wife like with Aaron Judge. Sheesh

I’ve seen many athletes at my old bar and out in public and have never once bothered them and asked for a photo. Probably because I’m not 12 anymore? One of my oldest friends is good friends and business partners with Michael Jordan (they met through their wives) and I’ve met (and had drinks) with him twice and didn’t even ask for a photo.
I personally will not approach celebs or athletes. Every now and then there's been a head nod, but I just don't care enough.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post

Being in a big city or near a world class university does fall into must have category for me, for now.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:27 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Diversity, skyline and population density.
Agree with skyline, definitely disagree with diversity, and am sort of mixed with population density.

Skyline? Ok it’s nice to have. But it won’t dramatically change your life.

Diversity? While you don’t have to be New York, I’ve lived in one particular town that lacked diversity at one point and it sucked for that reason alone.

Population density, here im mixed because while those choosing suburban living won’t feel much of a difference, it’s still good to have vibrant neighborhoods in your area. And while to be fair, the density doesn’t have to be high for said neighborhood to be vibrant, there’s definitely a correlation to highly populated areas and their pedestrian activity.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:48 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
General crime statistic comparisons: place to place.

Crime is important but not in the way most people view it. The UCR crime reports are often misused when someone is looking at different locations. Comparing cities in crime statistics is easy but flawed because of the many differences that exist behind those numbers. The year-to-year trends are much more helpful for specific locations. Is vehicle theft going up or down? Are there more or less assaults or homicides now compared to previous years? What is the trend in robbery or burglary for two different cities...up or down?

One example of the folly of using straight comparisons is Kansas City. Stateline Road is an urban street that marks the state boundary. Are you really safer on the west side of the street than on the east side? Of course not.

I live in a place with a reputation for high crime, but I have witnessed only one crime since I moved here and that was a domestic quarrel that got very much out of hand. I have not been the victim of a crime. I do know people who have had their cars broken into and two cases of stolen vehicles. We do have a vehicle theft problem, but the trend is downward. Successfully living in a large city requires exercising common sense and making wise decisions no matter where you are.

The most useless consideration is skyline.
Diversity was a consideration when I moved to my current location. More=better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.