Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 06:25 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

To me it's food. Don't get me wrong, I know places like LA, Miami, NYC, Houston, SF, etc have great food and there may be a few things that you can't get anywhere else, but it's pretty rare. I will say I have to live in a top 50 type metro as after that, there may be a drop off.

For example, does Indianapolis have Chicago's depth and diversity in cuisine? No, but instead of having 50 great Mexican restaurants, maybe it'll have ten. And that is probably enough.

People don't eat out every day and some of the places in the elite cuisine cities are expensive and hard to get into.

Top 50 metros will have the staples you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 06:57 PM

1,050 posts, read 571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

People don't eat out every day
I eat out everyday.

I’m that one “housewife” and Asian woman who doesn’t cook. (so much for stereotype!) My husband is the one doing the cooking. I make a mean steak frites , instant noodle and fried rice (meaning dumping everything in the pan and frying.)

You are lucky if you never lived in the cities that were deprived in your favorite food. My one year living in Florida where I was so deprived with great Asian food (where I took for granted in NYC and LA.) we had to drive almost two hours bumper-to-bumper, stuck on one of 4 freeways in FL with everyone and their grandma going to Disney so I could get some decent Taiwanese food in Orlando.-yes, I’m not embarrassed to say I moved to Houston partially for food, especially my comfort food-Asian food.

My husband drove for one hour to get Del Taco when he flew to meetings in Phoenix and Vegas because he missed them. That’s right, Del Taco.

For me the most overrated factor of deciding where to live is the sense of community . Great school district I get (for both kids-if you’re parents, and future resale value.), safety, career, amenities….etc but “the sense of community” usually implies (to me anyway) that someone is going to snoop around and get in to your business. We can be warm, cordial, checking in with each other and exchanging holiday gifts and inviting each other for parties, absolutely, but I prefer to be left alone most of the time. (I’m not very housewife-y.- so much for stereotype!)

Old 01-23-2023, 07:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Size.

Not many people truly need metro areas the size of New York or LA to be satisfied. Most of those types would be fine in Philadelphia or Boston sized metros, while the vast majority would be fine anywhere from New Orleans to Denver sized metros.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:29 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Skyline
Give me 50 ten story buildings over a few large skyscrapers any day.
. I swear I've seen cities lose out on polls because of skyline. I don't understand the obsession, it's not the 1930s anymore.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Things that are like 3 hours away

Old 01-23-2023, 07:43 PM

824 posts, read 713,393 times
Things more than a few hours drive away.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:54 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I eat out everyday.

I’m that one “housewife” and Asian woman who doesn’t cook. (so much for stereotype!) My husband is the one doing the cooking. I make a mean steak frites , instant noodle and fried rice (meaning dumping everything in the pan and frying.)

You are lucky if you never lived in the cities that were deprived in your favorite food. My one year living in Florida where I was so deprived with great Asian food (where I took for granted in NYC and LA.) we had to drive almost two hours bumper-to-bumper, stuck on one of 4 freeways in FL with everyone and their grandma going to Disney so I could get some decent Taiwanese food in Orlando.-yes, I’m not embarrassed to say I moved to Houston partially for food, especially my comfort food-Asian food.

My husband drove for one hour to get Del Taco when he flew to meetings in Phoenix and Vegas because he missed them. That’s right, Del Taco.

For me the most overrated factor of deciding where to live is the sense of community . Great school district I get (for both kids-if you’re parents, and future resale value.), safety, career, amenities….etc but “the sense of community” usually implies (to me anyway) that someone is going to snoop around and get in to your business. We can be warm, cordial, checking in with each other and exchanging holiday gifts and inviting each other for parties, absolutely, but I prefer to be left alone most of the time. (I’m not very housewife-y.- so much for stereotype!)
So is del taco good or just something you guys craved from your past?

Old 01-23-2023, 08:00 PM

1,050 posts, read 571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So is del taco good or just something you guys craved from your past?
According to him it’s very good, he apparently has a very refine culinary palate.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:02 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Economic growth.

The vast majority of metro areas now have record-low unemployment rates. Even if a city is gaining jobs at like 1/10th the rate of Dallas, Atlanta or Miami, you're still pretty likely to find gainful employment, because the labor force is in short supply literally everywhere.

Not to mention, faster-growing cities are also gaining potential workers faster, so it's not necessarily true that you're improving your job prospects in terms of a job-to-applicant ratio.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:14 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Yea day/weekend trips are pretty far down the list of impactful factors. In general by the time something is more than hour away it might as well be 4. By the time it's more than 4 it might as well be 8. By the time it's more than 8 you might as well fly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.