Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 06:27 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Red state/Blue state.
There are Blue parts of Mississippi and Red parts of California. People who proclaim they would never move to XX state because it's the wrong color could really be missing the boat.

Food. I don't eat out much so I eat ingredients, not prepared food - a steak is a steak, a bean is a bean.
First of all not all steaks are equal - haven't you had Wagyu or one of the fancier ones? I guess for the home cook the city's food scene matter less, but some areas will have higher quality produce of certain types.
The difference in tropical fruits and sea food are pretty noticeable.

If you live in a blue city in a red state chances are you will often feel that you're living in a bubble that is constantly under threat. For example, during Covid if you're in Texas the local government will often try to implement some kind of shutdown or mask measure only to be shut down by Austin. All over the US, state governments are concentrating power at the expense of city and local governments, and this is happening in both blue and red states. Unless you're the kind of person who doesn't pay attention to the news I don't think politics is underrated as a factor in deciding where to live, and it will only become more important over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 06:48 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Parts of DC do feel sketchy though.
Not to me. Nowhere in DC feels sketchy compared to really any major city I’ve been to save for Raleigh. Probably the most lush and orderly truly urban city I’ve been to. What the crimes are about- I have no idea. Supremely wealthy and well educated city- more so than Boston and it was immediately evident to me…

Next to no blight, no corner boys, deep set backs on all the houses. I’ve been all through Ward 7/8. Honestly feels sketchier just over the border in PG area like Oxon Hill or Suitland than Anacostia.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:42 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Scenery. Good God have I seen many people go broke living somewhere because it has pretty mountains.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:48 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Weather.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:59 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Certain governors (e.g. DeSantis in Florida, Abbott in Texas, Newsom in California, Whitmer in Michigan) elicit very strong reactions from people, who think they are the greatest leader ever in office or alternatively a destructive threat to their state's future.

But the reality is that none of these politicians are going to be governor forever (and in some cases, term limits guarantee they will be gone in a few years at most), and their power is not absolute even when their state tends to favor their respective parties. People who move to a state for ostensibly political reasons may be disappointed later when the dynamics change and a different regime gets elected, and acts like they have a mandate to change all the mistakes of the last administration.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:44 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Taxes.

I'm from northeast TN. Taxes here are very low, but I'm nearly two hours from anything more upper middle class than Target for retail. Groceries are terrible. The local airport, while convenient, is basically a ferry to Dallas, Atlanta, or Charlotte, where you'll connect to your real destination. Incomes are low, so shopping is bad. Most counties are 80%+ Republican, so cultural offerings reflect fundamentalist Christian beliefs, and little else.

I took a job in Asheville, NC a few weeks ago. I pay income taxes to a state I don't live in. I contribute to a pension as a government employee. Taxes and COL is higher across the board, but it's a far, far superior place to live in virtually every way. Better gyms. Better dining. Better concerts. Fantastic restaurants. Better beer.

I'm at a point where income taxes aren't going to be a deciding factor in where I live. Yes, NC costs more, but it's a far superior state to live in by TN. The lack of a state income tax isn't buying my allegiance when most everything else (aside from weather and outdoor recreation, neither of which have a thing to do with politics) is complete trash.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:11 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Taxes.

I'm from northeast TN. Taxes here are very low, but I'm nearly two hours from anything more upper middle class than Target for retail. Groceries are terrible. The local airport, while convenient, is basically a ferry to Dallas, Atlanta, or Charlotte, where you'll connect to your real destination. Incomes are low, so shopping is bad. Most counties are 80%+ Republican, so cultural offerings reflect fundamentalist Christian beliefs, and little else.

I took a job in Asheville, NC a few weeks ago. I pay income taxes to a state I don't live in. I contribute to a pension as a government employee. Taxes and COL is higher across the board, but it's a far, far superior place to live in virtually every way. Better gyms. Better dining. Better concerts. Fantastic restaurants. Better beer.

I'm at a point where income taxes aren't going to be a deciding factor in where I live. Yes, NC costs more, but it's a far superior state to live in by TN. The lack of a state income tax isn't buying my allegiance when most everything else (aside from weather and outdoor recreation, neither of which have a thing to do with politics) is complete trash.
So do you live in Asheville now? If so, congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Certain governors (e.g. DeSantis in Florida, Abbott in Texas, Newsom in California, Whitmer in Michigan) elicit very strong reactions from people, who think they are the greatest leader ever in office or alternatively a destructive threat to their state's future.

But the reality is that none of these politicians are going to be governor forever (and in some cases, term limits guarantee they will be gone in a few years at most), and their power is not absolute even when their state tends to favor their respective parties. People who move to a state for ostensibly political reasons may be disappointed later when the dynamics change and a different regime gets elected, and acts like they have a mandate to change all the mistakes of the last administration.
i know they're classified as purple but to me both states are the bookends of conservatism. The largest conservative states and it's been that way for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Scenery. Good God have I seen many people go broke living somewhere because it has pretty mountains.
I enjoyed my time in Denver. Some drop dead views but if you removed the mountains, I thought it was on par with KC. And the mountains were hard to get to and KC was far less expensive.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:12 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Good for you and bless your soul. A little bitter sounding are we?…lol.

KD was working out at my gym and asked if he could work in on the machine I was using—he disturbed me; took a pic but no handshake, lol….as for Judge I gave him a good Cuban Cigar in appreciation of his accomplishments after going up to him and he was grateful (gave something of value to get something of value). Very engaging individual, asked questions of me and his wife was cool and appreciative of an entertainment venue I recommended that they ended up going to afterwards. Guess it depends how you approach people and how they respond to you. Wilt Chamberlain’s “geography” theory helps. YMMV, and usually have a good read on people. Don’t always ask for a pic or signature—was happy enough and content with a nice chat with Joe DiMaggio in the 1980’s at a drug store, did not get the sense Jeter would take a pic at Starbucks.
Nice edit after the fact adding a jab at me? Not sure why that was warranted unless you took offense to me saying I don’t feel the need to bug athletes for photos because I’m not 12 anymore? Out of curiosity what in my post remotely sounded like I was bitter?

Old 01-25-2023, 03:26 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Nice edit after the fact adding a jab at me? Not sure why that was warranted unless you took offense to me saying I don’t feel the need to bug athletes for photos because I’m not 12 anymore? Out of curiosity what in my post remotely sounded like I was bitter?
Provided additional insight on my interactions with KD and Judge in response to your initial judgmental (no pun intended) reply. Many adults, not just 12 year olds or kids, seek pics or autographs with and from top athletes, celebrities, etc. in various public settings and situations. I don’t have an issue with your refraining from doing so whereas it came across as you had an issue with my behavior. Celebrities are used to being approached and will let you know when they don’t wish to be bothered by saying no and/or refusing a pic, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-25-2023 at 04:56 AM..

Old 01-25-2023, 05:07 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Taxes.

This is a big one. Someone did the math and Massachusetts collects like 0.65% more in taxes than Texas. I don’t think someone making $153,500 is all to concerned with the $1000/taxes

From top (New Jersey) to bottom (Arizona) the gap is like 3.5% or something. Your particular job impacts your income way more than taxes could. (Although some exceptions based on how these taxes are distributed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.