Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 08:40 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,060,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Here are two things I hear people talk about on this forum that I couldn't possibly care less about:

- Luxury shopping: I buy most of my clothes online, and I don't buy particular fancy brands to impress people. I've never felt the need to go higher-end than say Nordstrom. If there is any shopping I wish we had here it is some of the affordable international stores like Uniqlo or Muji.
- Performance arts. I honestly can't think of anything more boring to do on a night out than go to an opera or symphony performance. Theater is only marginally better and I'm fine with doing this once a year while in NYC or Vegas. No thanks, this is not for me.
There is a reason you prefer Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 10:21 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,211,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
100% Yes, NYC is the pinnacle, but I don't have to see every play first. I can wait. I'm definitely not a luxury brand guy, but most major cities have LV or whatever floats your boat.
For Broadway I think it's worth seeing the show in New York with the original cast. I don't really feel like spending almost the same amount on tickets to watch much less well known performers. For stage plays many of them don't even travel so your options are more limited if you just want to wait. Like you I'm fine traveling to indulge in shows occasionally, but if you're a theater or comedy geek I can see how a move to NYC or LA might make sense.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:53 AM

552 posts, read 572,880 times
Price really matters when it comes to some things. I saw an ad in Nashville for the orchestra that would play some famous cinematic pieces. I was going to go, but then I saw that not only did it cost money, but $65 at that. For that, it'd need to be a decently complex concerto with hopefully a notable guest performer, not for what would likely be a bunch of John Williams pieces that all start nearly the same. Coming from Birmingham, I'd expect the cinematic songs to be part of a summer event at Railroad Park for free, with more interesting stuff starting around $30. Growing up, the art museum and botanical gardens were free, so we went a lot. So, I'm more wanting to go to those kinds of places when I go elsewhere. In retrospect, I kinda get why my friends in college didn't want to go to all the art museums as much (And as much I liked going to the MCA in Chicago, if I had lived there, I probably wouldn't have visited as much as I did the BMA in Birmingham. I guess I shouldn't have expected others to instantly recognize Christina's World at the MoMA either...). So I'd argue accessibility is way more important than having the crème of the crop with that type of thing.

Also, in a similar sense, while a highly rated food scene isn't as necessary, good specialty food stores and markets are definitely worth it. I think I've mentioned it elsewhere, by a trip to Knoxville is always better if we can find time to go to Tree and Vine. A fine dining experience makes its mark for only a meal (or two). A specialty spice can leave a longer personal impression.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,853,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
True. The DC nightlife is pretty lame compared to Miami, LA, etc. but I feel like my early 20s were still great. You make your own fun, as long as you're in a city that's vibrant, international and offers decent amenities and decent bars you can make your own fun.
Alcohol is alcohol no matter where you are at. Most midsized cities have a decent selection. I can definitely see not wanting to live somewhere too small with limited options, especially if your interests are niche like wanting LGBTQ nightlife, but at the end of the day a city doesn't have to be a top 10 nightlife city to be fun. It can also be more of a hassle in larger cities, with things like lines, crowds, high cover charges, and overly pretentious atmosphere compared to midsized cities.

Old 02-15-2023, 08:40 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,694,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Alcohol is alcohol no matter where you are at. Most midsized cities have a decent selection. I can definitely see not wanting to live somewhere too small with limited options, especially if your interests are niche like wanting LGBTQ nightlife, but at the end of the day a city doesn't have to be a top 10 nightlife city to be fun. It can also be more of a hassle in larger cities, with things like lines, crowds, high cover charges, and overly pretentious atmosphere compared to midsized cities.
I'm curious about those that have to have top tier lounges like in Miami, Vegas and I guess LA? Like how bad could it be in Boston or SF?

Old 02-18-2023, 12:02 PM

35,128 posts, read 57,276,559 times
I have to say that lower cost of living is the most overrated factor. Lower cost areas are lower cost for a reason and that’s usually access to well paying jobs. The cost of basics like food, utilities, transportation, etc. is rarely much less so it pretty much comes down to real estate and taxes.

Real estate prices are a function of the affluence and prosperity of the local economy and lower taxes usually means less services.

I know a number of people that moved to lower cost areas and NONE of them are better off financially than they were in high priced areas. In fact several had to move back to the higher priced area because they couldn’t find work that paid a living wage. The ones that stayed are living like poor church mice with little to no disposable income available from their meager salaries.

Also, the lower taxes means things like poor quality schools and little to no social services. These services are particularly important as you age. One example is access to senior transportation services. In our high tax area, communities offer seniors low cost rides to things like food shopping, entertainment and medical appointments. In the low tax areas, this does not exist so the elderly have to pay high prices for private transportation or rely on family or friends for rides. More often than not that means them taking time off from work to do that. How is that cheaper?

I could go on with more but this gives you an idea of what people don’t really consider but should. Jay

Old 02-18-2023, 01:17 PM

94,153 posts, read 125,007,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to say that lower cost of living is the most overrated factor. Lower cost areas are lower cost for a reason and that’s usually access to well paying jobs. The cost of basics like food, utilities, transportation, etc. is rarely much less so it pretty much comes down to real estate and taxes.

Real estate prices are a function of the affluence and prosperity of the local economy and lower taxes usually means less services.

I know a number of people that moved to lower cost areas and NONE of them are better off financially than they were in high priced areas. In fact several had to move back to the higher priced area because they couldn’t find work that paid a living wage. The ones that stayed are living like poor church mice with little to no disposable income available from their meager salaries.

Also, the lower taxes means things like poor quality schools and little to no social services. These services are particularly important as you age. One example is access to senior transportation services. In our high tax area, communities offer seniors low cost rides to things like food shopping, entertainment and medical appointments. In the low tax areas, this does not exist so the elderly have to pay high prices for private transportation or rely on family or friends for rides. More often than not that means them taking time off from work to do that. How is that cheaper?

I could go on with more but this gives you an idea of what people don’t really consider but should. Jay
Interestingly enough, some areas in the Interior Northeast and probably some select areas in other regions can offer both, at least to some degree.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:19 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,424,828 times
I have a few.

1.) Car usage - Not sure what the benefits are here?
a.) car note, car insurance, repair cost
b.) Risk of car accidents, and dealing with drunks and being stuck in traffic.
c.) Driving 1 mile or more to do grocery shopping is not a flex that people make it out to be.

2.) LAND
a.) Americans love bragging about living on acres of land that they never actually use for NOTHING.
** I actually love that the Jewish community in NYC understands this clownish mentality and actually build homes
that are large with dope amenities instead of bragging about how much grass they have. I also notice this is the
norm for most cultures and that Americans and maybe Canadians and Aussies have this awkward flex.

3.) Weather - Sorry this is not as much of a determining factor as people think it is. Most of the powerful healthy cities in the world are in cold climates and people immigrate to these cold cities from warm places. In America it just so happens that the cities growing are located in the southern region so people just lump weather in there even though housing cost and taxes are the main reason they moved there. People will always move to a place for opportunity and adjust to the weather. Also, most of the south gets cold in my opinion, so what if the winters are shorter. If i decided to leave NYC for weather reasons best assure I would make my new home is Southern Florida, or somewhere along the gulf coast. Not Atlanta or Charlotte where it still snows........

4.) Lower Cost of Living - Sorry places that have low cost of living have it for a reason. You will never ever convince me that you can do the same things in NYC in Charleston, West Virginia. If you are someone that eats at Applebees every day and goes to the movies only as a hobby then maybe but NO not buying it.

These are really my overrated factors. I tend to like cities where I can get from point A to point B efficiently. I like to be able to buy a carton of milk buy crossing the street. I live walkability, like having neighbors, and like real amenities in my house or apartment.....NOT GRASS. Also, I like fashion so moving to a place like Minneapolis with a solid career would not bother me since I would most likely be wearing my moose knuckles jacket.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Lack of an income tax. The government is gonna get their pound of flesh from you. Moving somewhere just because there's no income tax without considering total tax burden is stupid.
What even more funny is that they will get charged for regressive taxes which is ironic since many people want fair tax systems.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:32 PM

some interesting points I seen on this thread I agree with. Murder rates which are mostly in particular areas and also rich people.

Dont understand the mentality of people who are middle class or poor boasting about the amount of rich people in their town who would most likely not even walk next to them lol.

I care more about people who are employed with careers and living a good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.