Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2023, 06:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times

Advertisements

Nightlife. Irrelevant once you are passed a certain age or if a catastrophe like a pandemic or significant economic crash happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 06:58 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Agreed.
For me, mountains can be nice to look at but otherwise I'm not sure what to do with them. Nice backdrop, but not worth the extra coin if and when it is indeed extra.
Mountains can also add a huge hassle in winter if you have to go over a pass to get somewhere.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:24 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Mountains can also add a huge hassle in winter if you have to go over a pass to get somewhere.
You can also get stuck in the snow storm. And you can be an absurdly good driver but it takes one guy with the wrong car, tires, or skill set to wreck your car. Or worse

Old 01-28-2023, 07:34 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,168,427 times
At the end of the day the only factors that are overrated are things that people say solely for the purpose of signaling. Amenities like nightlife, mountains/beaches, sports etc are important to people who care about them and no one can say it's overrated for them.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:10 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nightlife. Irrelevant once you are passed a certain age or if a catastrophe like a pandemic or significant economic crash happens.
True. The DC nightlife is pretty lame compared to Miami, LA, etc. but I feel like my early 20s were still great. You make your own fun, as long as you're in a city that's vibrant, international and offers decent amenities and decent bars you can make your own fun.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:23 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
True. The DC nightlife is pretty lame compared to Miami, LA, etc. but I feel like my early 20s were still great. You make your own fun, as long as you're in a city that's vibrant, international and offers decent amenities and decent bars you can make your own fun.
I think nightlife is subjective enough that it can be either overrated or underrated depending on how you're defining it. I'm in my late 30s now and I still want nightlife. I've been over the club scene for a long time, and I don't need loud, crowded places that are serving drinks until 4am. But I still go to a wide variety of shows and concerts, games, and other events that are an element of nightlife. And after those are over, I still like to go grab something to eat and have a drink somewhere. Maybe I'm done by 12 or 12:30 now instead of 2-3am, but it's still very much "nightlife" by definition and I don't think I'd want to live somewhere that rolls up the sidewalk at 8, 9, or even 10pm. So for me, a 4am last call is "overrated" because I don't think I can survive until 4am (and certainly not the next day) at this point. But some element of nightlife is still pretty important to me. Even now that I'm "old."

Old 02-02-2023, 07:38 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
^ ^ ^

Agree with most of above. Why is nightlife irrelevant as one gets “older”, unless one’s definition is limited to full fledged bottle service nightclubs and craft beer bars.

Just because one turns 30 or 40 does not mean they are packing it in, staying home at night and brushing up on retirement home brochures. Understandable if one is raising little kids but they don’t remain little forever.

I include cigar lounges, music venues, happy hours, sports bars, dining establishments with live entertainment and more as part of nightlife. The biggest issue I have with some cities is they have poor or fewer options for those over 30-35 and/or turn into ghost towns by 9PM. I, too, no longer stay out much later than midnight any more, with vacations a possible exception, but certainly go out to various establishments that provide me with more than ample and a variety of nightlife opportunities.

I even consider Sunday Fundays in which I enjoy myself at a nice bar from 4-7 or 8PM as nightlife (often my favorite day of the week to go out and I’m able to wake up the next morning not a zombie….and I’m 63—to quote Neil Young, “better to burn out than to fade away.”)

Last edited by elchevere; 02-02-2023 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-02-2023, 08:18 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think nightlife is subjective enough that it can be either overrated or underrated depending on how you're defining it. I'm in my late 30s now and I still want nightlife. I've been over the club scene for a long time, and I don't need loud, crowded places that are serving drinks until 4am. But I still go to a wide variety of shows and concerts, games, and other events that are an element of nightlife. And after those are over, I still like to go grab something to eat and have a drink somewhere. Maybe I'm done by 12 or 12:30 now instead of 2-3am, but it's still very much "nightlife" by definition and I don't think I'd want to live somewhere that rolls up the sidewalk at 8, 9, or even 10pm. So for me, a 4am last call is "overrated" because I don't think I can survive until 4am (and certainly not the next day) at this point. But some element of nightlife is still pretty important to me. Even now that I'm "old."
And nightlife is a broad category. Means different things to different people. It doesn't necessarily mean Vegas or South Beach partying till 8 am.

Old 02-03-2023, 07:13 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,951,123 times
I'm at a similar age to lrfox, and I was never big into the club scene, with the "high school dances" probably the closest I ever came, although I do love sitting down and occasionally standing inside a performing venue to see someone in concert. Give me the Howard Theatre in DC, not the 9:30 Club for example. Even "retro night" already means music from my high school/college years and likely populated by Gen Zers. Besides, just have a nice sound system at your own home and have something on demand. I increasingly find stuff that I enjoy in the suburbs, as well. I honestly prefer culture from the early '00s back to my parents' generation (60s-70s) the most. Give me happy hour, not last call.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:42 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,867 times
Museums. I may visit once or twice, after that they are for the visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.