Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2023, 11:12 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTracerJeff View Post
I agree. I would much rather have high-quality, historic architecture than a bunch of generic, tall, glass and steel boxes.

For example, Milwaukee is not known for its tall buildings or impressive skyline (even though it has improved greatly in recent years), but the preponderance of preserved historic buildings in the central business district is always a pleasant surprise to visitors.

East Michigan Street at Water Street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0373...7i16384!8i8192

East Mason Street at Water Street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0399...7i16384!8i8192

East Wisconsin Avenue at Milwaukee Street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0388...7i16384!8i8192
Never been to Milwaukee. Looks like my kind of city. Probably affordable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 01:32 PM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTracerJeff View Post
I agree. I would much rather have high-quality, historic architecture than a bunch of generic, tall, glass and steel boxes.
"Skyline" is definitely overrated. A city skyline has a pretty negligible impact on just about any aspect of daily life beyond potentially nice views from certain angles. That said, "skyline" is more CD fodder than it is actual criteria for people looking at places to live. I've never met anyone in the real world who has either moved somewhere because of a skyline or has mentioned the skyline as a key factor in their quality of life. At most, it's a nice little perk if you have a view of it and something a landlord/seller can use to jack up the price of a listing.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
"Skyline" is definitely overrated. A city skyline has a pretty negligible impact on just about any aspect of daily life beyond potentially nice views from certain angles. That said, "skyline" is more CD fodder than it is actual criteria for people looking at places to live. I've never met anyone in the real world who has either moved somewhere because of a skyline or has mentioned the skyline as a key factor in their quality of life. At most, it's a nice little perk if you have a view of it and something a landlord/seller can use to jack up the price of a listing.
TBH most "normal" people don't even live in the most urban part of the city anyway. Even if they live "in the city" (as in within city limit instead of suburbia) you're talking about denser older areas with either SFHs with small lot (typical of older area) or rowhouses/townhouses/brownstone or some cookie-cutter 5+1 apartments. I've never heard of anybody caring about "skyline".
===========================
Now...things like crime are definitely NOT overrated. Let say if you're moving to Chicago, you're not going to pick to live in, let say, West Englewood unless you have family or know people there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
“Close to Wholefoodsâ€.

“Close to artisanal cafésâ€.

“Close to luxury shoppingâ€.

Exactly how often does one shop at Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Chanel?!
The last one while crazy it's hard to call it "overrated" when it's not really a factor for most people. And no, the uber rich don't care how close they are to LV/Gucci/Chanel either as they just send their assistants to shop there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
This is a big one. Someone did the math and Massachusetts collects like 0.65% more in taxes than Texas. I don’t think someone making $153,500 is all to concerned with the $1000/taxes

From top (New Jersey) to bottom (Arizona) the gap is like 3.5% or something. Your particular job impacts your income way more than taxes could. (Although some exceptions based on how these taxes are distributed)
Ahh...good old Texas, where they brag all about the lack of state income tax only to really bite you with insane property tax (It's like 2.4%...I'm paying ~1% in a "high tax" state in MD...or something like 1.2% in MA).

Old 01-27-2023, 02:32 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Skyline is fine if you have something to look at or from—there’s a reason why certain buildings in certain cities command premium prices….Real Estate 101: location, location, location. This does not extend to all cities if you have nothing to look at or if your view consists of staring into another building 20 feet away…..but if you have a nice water, mountain, bridge, or something worthy view that is a different matter altogether.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
TBH most "normal" people don't even live in the most urban part of the city anyway. Even if they live "in the city" (as in within city limit instead of suburbia) you're talking about denser older areas with either SFHs with small lot (typical of older area) or rowhouses/townhouses/brownstone or some cookie-cutter 5+1 apartments. I've never heard of anybody caring about "skyline".
===========================
Now...things like crime are definitely NOT overrated. Let say if you're moving to Chicago, you're not going to pick to live in, let say, West Englewood unless you have family or know people there.

The last one while crazy it's hard to call it "overrated" when it's not really a factor for most people. And no, the uber rich don't care how close they are to LV/Gucci/Chanel either as they just send their assistants to shop there anyway.

Ahh...good old Texas, where they brag all about the lack of state income tax only to really bite you with insane property tax (It's like 2.4%...I'm paying ~1% in a "high tax" state in MD...or something like 1.2% in MA).
Yeah, most "normal" people I know prefer the burbs. Hate to say it but it is be that way.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:37 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, most "normal" people I know prefer the burbs. Hate to say it but it is be that way.
Where I am prices are much higher in the city center (admittedly, a city that is mostly suburban in form) than in the suburbs. So that makes me question this statement, unless you mean "prefers, given prices". But that feels more like a compromise than a preference.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Where I am prices are much higher in the city center (admittedly, a city that is mostly suburban in form) than in the suburbs. So that makes me question this statement, unless you mean "prefers, given prices". But that feels more like a compromise than a preference.
Price is certainly a factor. I guess it's easier to raise kids in the burbs and wanting space is sort of normal as you get older and your family grows? I'm not an advocate for it. If schools were ok, I'd consider raising my daughter in an urban environment.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:29 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Price is certainly a factor. I guess it's easier to raise kids in the burbs and wanting space is sort of normal as you get older and your family grows? I'm not an advocate for it. If schools were ok, I'd consider raising my daughter in an urban environment.
If I have a tons of money then I'd live in a quiet part of the urban enter and send the kids to private schools. However I think you and I are in the minority on this one. Most 'normal' people move to the suburbs to get away from the riffraff that they think are everywhere inside city limits.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:31 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
The supply-demand-price relationship isn't QUITE that simplistic though...

Manhattan commands the highest RE prices in the US....understandably. There is enough demand on the very limited supply of RE there to justify very high prices. That doesn't mean everyone else in the US "would rather" live in Manhattan....it means that the demand there commands a high premium for the limited supply.

If your city has a population of 500k overall; with a housing supply capable of sustaining 10k people in the city-center; but 50k people have a stronger desire to live in the city-center over suburban areas of the city.....the demand supply/demand curve will push the prices in the core to a premium. So yes...your logic applies to the 40k people who would prefer to live downtown but can't afford it and thus "compromise" by living further out....but not necessarily to the other 450k residents of your city.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 01-27-2023 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2023, 06:03 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
If I have a tons of money then I'd live in a quiet part of the urban enter and send the kids to private schools. However I think you and I are in the minority on this one. Most 'normal' people move to the suburbs to get away from the riffraff that they think are everywhere inside city limits.
If you have the money, that is. Private schools ain't cheap.

Quote:
And city centers aren't cheap in many places. It's almost a different demographic anyway, you're talking about yuppies, DINKs, or if they have kids, they make enough to send kids to (fairly prestigious) private schools. Meanwhile most city schools are not great even when the surrounding neighborhood can be uber rich.

Then there is closer-by enclaves that are truly pricy - get the best of both world in short commute with good schools. Think the Park Cities in DFW.

Quote:
And it doesn't have to be "true" suburbia (as in outside city limit) but just more outer edge of the city, especially in Sunbelt where city limits can stretch for miles. Areas like NW Austin (which is still within city limit) comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.