Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 11:04 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times

Advertisements

Most famous? Places that aren't urban (sub-urban)?

Fame doesn't necessarily reflect government districts. It can mean a big swath of suburbia, or an actual municipality, or a collection of municipalities.

The Hamptons. Long Island. Beverly Hills. Orange County. Silicon Valley.

I'm not thinking of anywhere else on their level, outside places that are more urban (satellites more than suburbs) such as South Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 11:07 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
I’d add to the already mentioned lists:

La Jolla, Palo Alto, Berkeley, Ann Arbor (??), Scottsdale, Skokie, Cambridge.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-08-2023 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-08-2023, 11:13 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
I think LA runs away with this pretty easily.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:37 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Greenwich (CT) is probably the most famous suburban town/city in the US.

Then you have Beverly Hills and La Jolla, but those are different in the sense that they are basically upscale towns/neighborhoods within a major city.

If you're talking suburban in the true sense of the word I would say Greenwich. That name just elicits wealth and elite bedroom community of NYC for generations.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:45 AM

You and I know about Greenwich because we live or lived in the NY metro/Northeast; less certain people from the Midwest, South (outside of transplants) and West Coast are very familiar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Greenwich (CT) is probably the most famous suburban town/city in the US.

Then you have Beverly Hills and La Jolla, but those are different in the sense that they are basically upscale towns/neighborhoods within a major city.

If you're talking suburban in the true sense of the word I would say Greenwich. That name just elicits wealth and elite bedroom community of NYC for generations.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:49 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I’d add to the already mentioned lists:

La Jolla, Palo Alto, Berkeley, Ann Arbor (??), Scottsdale, Skokie, Cambridge.
all of them are big. Except Skokie .

I hear about Shaker Heights, Carmel, Evanston, Gross Pointe, and Southfield more than I hear of Skokie.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:51 AM

Yeah, I’m familiar with Skokie because of the would be neo Nazi marches in the past that made the national news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
all of them are big. Except Skokie .

I hear about Shaker Heights, Carmel, Evanston, Gross Pointe, and Southfield more than I hear of Skokie.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:57 AM

376 posts, read 209,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
You and I know about Greenwich because we live or lived in the NY metro/Northeast; less certain people from the Midwest, South (outside of transplants) and West Coast are very familiar with it.

Oh you know NYC people have to think everything revolves around NYC. It's only fitting to continue the role

Old 02-08-2023, 12:01 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Oh you know NYC people have to think everything revolves around NYC. It's only fitting to continue the role
NYC is 'that guy' though A LOT does revolve around NYC.

Tbh many people on the east coast don't think of LA as a serious/important city. One of my coaches in school audibly scoffed at the idea that it was more important than Boston when some of us said it was on some bus ride ....(lmao) i remember it clearly.

You never heard of Greenwich?

Old 02-08-2023, 12:04 PM

376 posts, read 209,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NYC is 'that guy' though A LOT does revolve around NYC.

Tbh many people on the east coast don't think of LA as a serious/important city. One of my coaches in school audibly scoffed at the idea that it was more important than Boston when some of us said it was on some bus ride ....(lmao) i remember it clearly.

You never heard of Greenwich?

I probably have heard of it somewhere but it didn't pop in my head and only been reminded of it by that post.

I wouldn't expect LA to be a factor on the eastcoast but NYC isn't one over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.