Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2023, 07:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 793,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
I would've mentioned Compton but this forum tends to frown upon places that isn't ily white or "white washed" aka gentrified.
It's still (in)famous, though...although mainly in a negative connotation among the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Henderson is the suburb I’ve heard the most about as well. Especially because it’s big enough to land on most City lists at well over 250,000+ people.

North Las Vegas is interesting because what I’ve heard of it I definitely as negative as much as it is positive.

Katy is well known but because we are largely unincorporated we are kind of missing from a significant amount of online news coverage and lists etcetera. But because we aren’t as defined by city limits, such a large area is known collectively as Katy, and it’s approaching 400,000 people now.
Places like Katy (or Sugar Land) or Round Rock or Plano/Arlington/Frisco/(insert yet another giant DFW suburb) are somewhat known in Texas, but I'm not sure how well they're really known outside. But the same can be said even for many other metro areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
L.A. wins by a million - Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Anaheim.
Cannot really name NYC suburbs - Long Island everyone hears about and the Hamptons
New Jersey is supposed to have some really nice burbs, but you never hear names
Chicago in the 80s/early 90s John Hughes movies North Shore that kids nowdays have no idea about
The most famous Jersey "burbs" for NYC is probably Hoboken, Jersey City, and Newark (if you count them as suburbs). Also places like Princeton NJ (although mainly b/c of the university), again if you count that as a suburb.

Near Philly perhaps Camden and Cherry Hill...the former if you count it as a suburb, the latter is probably the most well known NJ burbs of Philly.

If anything Philly doesn't have ultra famous individual burbs...maybe King of Prussia just b/c of the giant mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Despite having very little name recognition, Paradise, NV and (to a lesser extent) Winchester, NV are two Las Vegas "suburbs" that have more "famous" attractions than the overwhelming majority of places listed so far.
Paradise is probably the most visited burb that people didn't know they visited. Bay Lake FL (along with Lake Buena Vista FL or Celebration FL) falls in the same category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 01:26 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Surprised no one named "Malibu" yet.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:41 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Lol you're still at it with this concept? You're the only that thinks of it in that way, the rest of the country is thinking about turkey, ham, Indians and Pilgrams.
As opposed to believing Americans know where Desperate Housewives set being a reasonable expectation

Old 02-13-2023, 04:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
What was a suburb in the past is not necessarily how Americans see suburbs today. Boston has lovely towns around its core, but they are not necessarily the sort of places that most Americans envision a suburb to be. Omitting Boston's suburbs isn't necessarily an insult in that context.
By any stretch a place like concord or Lexington is a traditional suburb.

I don’t think Boston suburbs are famous because suburbanites in Boston are quick to say they’re from Boston. And there’s not much of note in the suburbs in terms of practical reasons to be there or set a movie/tv show there. They’re too sleepy to be notable unless it’s actually a city like Lowell or Cambridge.

Old 02-13-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
By any stretch a place like concord or Lexington is a traditional suburb.

I don’t think Boston suburbs are famous because suburbanites in Boston are quick to say they’re from Boston. And there’s not much of note in the suburbs in terms of practical reasons to be there or set a movie/tv show there. They’re too sleepy to be notable unless it’s actually a city like Lowell or Cambridge.
Waterloo or Ypres Belgium aren’t exactly an exciting place but are quite famous.

Lexington and Concord are very famous I’d say more so than any suburb outside LA. I also think it’s impossible to ignore Salem is an international tourist desintation

And you could eat Salem is a city, but if it is so are most LA “suburbs”. Most famous ones have like 100,000 people

Old 02-13-2023, 04:58 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
As people if they know ANYTHING about what those places are today.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
As people if they know ANYTHING about what those places are today.
Doesn’t really matter. Still famous

Old 02-13-2023, 05:15 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
For Boston, I think almost everybody heard of Lexington, Concord and Salem and maybe Plymouth. After that you got Marblehead and Quincy. The suburbs in the Boston area are some of the nicest in the country.

But I am not sure if that is what the OP was looking for or not. He seems to be looking for suburban regions or at least counties, not individual towns.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:46 PM

376 posts, read 209,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Doesn’t really matter. Still famous

Lol no it's not

Old 02-13-2023, 07:23 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
For Boston, I think almost everybody heard of Lexington, Concord and Salem and maybe Plymouth. After that you got Marblehead and Quincy. The suburbs in the Boston area are some of the nicest in the country.

But I am not sure if that is what the OP was looking for or not. He seems to be looking for suburban regions or at least counties, not individual towns.
No way. I’ll give you Salem and Plymouth because of what kids learn in school, but I’m sure most don’t know they’re “suburbs” of Boston? Unless you’re from the region, have family there, visited, etc, I don’t think anyone knows of Lexington and Concord? Although this could be said about most listed in this thread that aren’t household names like Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.