Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2023, 08:51 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
In the planning world, Tysons Corner is very well known on how to not plan a city.
Definitely not my favorite. It reminds me of... like a large suburban Seaport..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfordmba2012 View Post
Scarsdale, NY and Greenwich, CT in the NY tri-state area.
Bronxville NY and Darien CT close runners up

Old 02-17-2023, 08:59 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You think the average person could tell you where Laugh In was filmed but they wouldn’t immediately associate Witches with Salem? Or the Pilgrims with Plymouth

Like I highly doubt a single person could tell you what town Modern Family was Set in. Often they leave these shows pretty vague to max out relatability even if it’s pretty obvious it’s broadly LA
For example Salem, Concord and Lexington in my honest opinion have all been eclipsed by the cities named after them that are state capitals. To add to that Concord, CA and Concord, NC are both semi-prominent suburbs in their metro areas…

Old 02-17-2023, 09:04 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
It sorta does from an outsider perspective Lexington, Concord and Plymouth are all towns in Massachusetts.

Cambridge, Somerville are well known inner suburbs. Lowell and Brockton are well known edge cities. For smaller truly suburban areas the most well known to me are Wellesley and Foxborough.
These to me are not famous. The first Lexington I think of is in Kentucky. Concord, I'm thinking of a jam and then Plymouth I think of the rock. I know of Springfield before I think of those 3.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
For example Salem, Concord and Lexington in my honest opinion have all been eclipsed by the cities named after them that are state capitals. To add to that Concord, CA and Concord, NC are both semi-prominent suburbs in their metro areas…
Maybe Concord CA. Never heard of Concord NC.

I honestly never thought about is Lexington and Concord are famous nationwide. I wouldnt have assumed so though..

Old 02-17-2023, 09:07 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Definitely not my favorite. It reminds me of... like a large suburban Seaport..
No, It reminds me of a 80s-90s Sunbelt Sprawl disaster. Metro DC has some of my least favorite cities.

The Seaport is an ultra dense, super modern walkable functioning extension of a downtown core. Tysons is a car centric disaster of office parks and arterials. Its like a MetroPark in city form.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maybe Concord CA. Never heard of Concord NC.

I honestly never thought about is Lexington and Concord are famous nationwide. I wouldnt have assumed so though..
Yeah I don’t know what some of the other Boston posters are on… one even started arguing that their more famous than the LA suburbs which next to Miami/SF and maybe Phoenix/Dallas/NYC far down the list has the most famous suburbs in the country.

Also most famous suburb of NYC to me is Staten Island… but seriously it’s absolutely has to be Hoboken if you don’t count Jersey City. That place is extremely well known in pop culture, Yonkers as well.

For a smaller metro area Chapel Hill and Chesapeake have to be up there.

Arlington and Alexandria are also up there as well but Arlington is technically a County… both of the Arlingtons*

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 02-17-2023 at 09:27 AM..

Old 02-17-2023, 09:21 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Yeah I don’t know what some of the other Boston posters are on… one even started arguing that their more famous than the LA suburbs which next to Miami/SF and maybe Phoenix/Dallas/NYC far down the list has the most famous suburbs in the country.

Also most famous suburb of NYC to me is Staten Island… but seriously it’s absolutely has to be Hoboken if you don’t count Jersey Village. That place is extremely well known in pop culture, Yonkers as well.

For a smaller metro area Chapel Hill and Chesapeake have to be up there.

Arlington and Alexandria are also up there as well but Arlington is technically a County… both of the Arlingtons*
The most famous LA suburbs (Beverly Hills, Compton, Anaheim) are the most famous in the country.

My issues is people pretending Burbank, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach or some random OC town like Costa Mesa are also famous.

Lexington, Concord, Salem, Plymouth and maybe Cambridge and Gloucester are above that 2nd tier of LA suburbs.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
The most famous LA suburbs (Beverly Hills, Compton, Anaheim) are the most famous in the country.

My issues is people pretending Burbank, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach or some random OC town like Costa Mesa are also famous.

Lexington, Concord, Salem, Plymouth and maybe Cambridge and Gloucester are above that 2nd tier of LA suburbs.
Santa Monica is almost if not just as famous as Beverly Hills. Especially to someone who is Gen Z like myself. I would argue Santa Monica has the most recognizable built form of any suburb in America. Youtubers all go there and interview people shoot videos etcetera along that beach. Extremely famous location.

To add to this the internet/famous culture has made many parts of LA famous. Chino Hills became more famous suburb just because of its prominence in basketball due to the Ball family playing at the high school. Manhattan Beach has that famous case about it and reparations. I never once watched Santa Clarita diet but know all about the town because of the shows existence.

Inglewood due to SoFi and artists/rappers is very famous. Pasadena, CA has the Rose Bowl, Glendale has a very famous clip about the Kardashians calling it Armenia. East LoS Angeles has had many famous stories about its culture and gentrification come out of it.

The fact that Hollywood and Now New Media like YouTube is LA based shines so much light on the area. Moreso than any Boston suburb except Cambridge and Somerville.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:59 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:

No they're not. You're overrating the name recognition of those towns as suburbs. If anything, people in America are less knowledgeable today about America revolutionary history than at any previous time in our country's history. And that is by far the main area where these Mass towns would have name recognition. They are not known in popular culture at all.

Honestly I can't think of almost any town/suburb in Mass that has more recognition than many of the suburbs in the other markets I mention.

LA, NYC area, Florida all have many more name brand suburbs than Mass. It's about popular culture and suburb in the true sense of the word.

This isn't most famous towns from American Revolutionary times. Different topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.