Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2023, 08:12 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times

Advertisements

Never really viewed long island as famous other than The Hamptons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 08:19 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Isn't Encino a neighborhood within the city of LA?
Yes, it is. The SFV was an original suburban area, but most of it is actually city of L.A.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:33 PM

376 posts, read 210,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Yes, it is. The SFV was an original suburban area, but most of it is actually city of L.A.

Yeah LA really is kinda a weird special case. Most of the city is infact pretty suburban in form compared to say the rowhomes in Philadelphia. Yet it is still urban as all is.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:00 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah and everyone “heard” of Lexington and Concird for 13 years of grade school

I just don’t understand how people think a town being mentioned in some show from 1986 makes it broadly famous. Like nobody knows what town baywatch was set in
Again the first place I think of when I hear Lexington is kentucky.

Now we’re getting to the part of the thread where we pretend we’ve never heard of Santa Monica I’m guessing

Old 02-19-2023, 09:01 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Other than Beverly Hills (Hollywood short hand for rich people) and Compton (shorthand for poor people). There aren’t many LA area towns drilled into people heads.

Like I don’t believe where Psych or Melrose place is set is common knowledge beyond generally “Southern California”

Also things don’t have to be famous for good reasons. Newtown CT is probably the most famous town other than Hartford in Connecticut.

Also American history is part of the Citizenship test so you’re average immigrant probably has a better grasp of history than Americans generally.
Actually New Haven would be the second city I think of in Connecticut.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:07 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Never really viewed long island as famous other than The Hamptons.
It’s pretty famous. I would consider it to be very well known. I feel like I can’t escape mentions of Long Island…or should I say “Strong Island” lmaoo

Old 02-19-2023, 01:54 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It’s pretty famous. I would consider it to be very well known. I feel like I can’t escape mentions of Long Island…or should I say “Strong Island” lmaoo
Since you said Strong Island I do wonder if its more famous to white people than black people? I also know from a planning point of view its famous because of having the first suburb.

Old 02-19-2023, 04:31 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,250,471 times
Of course Long Island is famous in the sense that you can expect the public to know it. Just the other day I watched Jerry Seinfeld's first appearance on the Tonight Show on Youtube and he just starts off by saying "I'm originally from Long Island". Everyone knows what that means, he didn't have to say "New York" or "near New York" or 'suburbs of New York". Long Island is its own thing, and it's nationally known as that.

Old 02-19-2023, 04:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Since you said Strong Island I do wonder if its more famous to white people than black people? I also know from a planning point of view its famous because of having the first suburb.
Some prominent Black people from Long Island include John Coltrane, Julius Erving, LL Cool J, Eddie Murphy, and Jim Brown.

On a separate note, got plastered a number of times in my college years drinking a Long Island Iced Tea. How many other suburbs have something named after them….Scarsdale diet comes to mind.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-19-2023 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 09:14 PM

994 posts, read 782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Some prominent Black people from Long Island include John Coltrane, Julius Erving, LL Cool J, Eddie Murphy, and Jim Brown.

On a separate note, got plastered a number of times in my college years drinking a Long Island Iced Tea. How many other suburbs have something named after them….Scarsdale diet comes to mind.
Long Island in the general term is definitely at the top of NYC. I only said "The Hamptons" because I think it's by far the most famous suburban place on Long Island... and the one place(es) where 99 percent of people know it is definitely not just some NYC/Queens neighborhood.

Also, blasphemy that you included LL Cool J as Long Island (this coming from a kid who came up in Cleveland in the 80s/90s, I had to look up to find out 30 years later he actually wasn't born in Queens ... did not know that until 5 minutes ago). At the same time, you left off the most famous rapper in not only Long Island history but up there with any from "NYC," The God MC himself, Rakim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.