Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2023, 03:21 PM

376 posts, read 209,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah and everyone “heard” of Lexington and Concird for 13 years of grade school

I just don’t understand how people think a town being mentioned in some show from 1986 makes it broadly famous. Like nobody knows what town baywatch was set in

You keep trying to minimize LA's influence with this wordplay yet it just shows how much you really do know about it.
To be real honest, I only remember of Salem because of the "witch trials". Women wrongly accused of such things in barbaric times. Everything else about Mass as a state doesn't ring any bells weather you like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 04:57 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Yeah and everyone “heard” of Lexington and Concird for 13 years of grade school

I just don’t understand how people think a town being mentioned in some show from 1986 makes it broadly famous. Like nobody knows what town baywatch was set in

Well, something being mentioned over and over in movies and TV shows makes it more famous across the world - where all of that is watched - than the stuff that happened in the Revolutionary War which no-one outside America ever really hears much about. And given that a fairly large % of the population even in the U.S. is foreign-born that does make a pretty significant difference even in America.

That being said, I suspect even most native-born Americans pick up way more stuff through pop culture than remembering places they were told about in grade school.

I would also say that most suburbs aren't famous and have no intention of being famous. People move there because they want to live somewhere that's not going to be on the evening news. I'm sure Littleton, Colorado could very much do without the 'fame' it got in 1999.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:15 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Well, something being mentioned over and over in movies and TV shows makes it more famous across the world - where all of that is watched - than the stuff that happened in the Revolutionary War which no-one outside America ever really hears much about. And given that a fairly large % of the population even in the U.S. is foreign-born that does make a pretty significant difference even in America.

That being said, I suspect even most native-born Americans pick up way more stuff through pop culture than remembering places they were told about in grade school.

I would also say that most suburbs aren't famous and have no intention of being famous. People move there because they want to live somewhere that's not going to be on the evening news. I'm sure Littleton, Colorado could very much do without the 'fame' it got in 1999.
Other than Beverly Hills (Hollywood short hand for rich people) and Compton (shorthand for poor people). There aren’t many LA area towns drilled into people heads.

Like I don’t believe where Psych or Melrose place is set is common knowledge beyond generally “Southern California”

Also things don’t have to be famous for good reasons. Newtown CT is probably the most famous town other than Hartford in Connecticut.

Also American history is part of the Citizenship test so you’re average immigrant probably has a better grasp of history than Americans generally.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:34 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
Other than Beverly Hills (Hollywood short hand for rich people) and Compton (shorthand for poor people). There aren’t many LA area towns drilled into people heads.

Like I don’t believe where Psych or Melrose place is set is common knowledge beyond generally “Southern California”

Also things don’t have to be famous for good reasons. Newtown CT is probably the most famous town other than Hartford in Connecticut.

Also American history is part of the Citizenship test so you’re average immigrant probably has a better grasp of history than Americans generally.

Maybe it’s not as popular as it used to be (as in my day), but Encino and the San Fernando Valley were fairly well known.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:06 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Maybe it’s not as popular as it used to be (as in my day), but Encino and the San Fernando Valley were fairly well known.
Isn't Encino a neighborhood within the city of LA?

Old 02-18-2023, 01:11 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Kirkland (Seattle burb), haha Costco Kirkland brand.

Not really.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:55 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Naperville. Seems everyone wants to live there and knows about it. Other places just as nice, but not as well known.

Oak Park. Due to Frank Lloyd Wright.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:24 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Kirkland (Seattle burb), haha Costco Kirkland brand.

Not really.
I just happened to read in a book today about Costco being based in Kirkland (and using that brand name for its 'generic' store-brand products). I've never set foot into Costco, so that was news to me. I do believe however that Kirkland is/was the birthplace of one Layne Staley....

Old 02-18-2023, 07:55 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times
Quote:
Orange County isn’t a suburb?

Venice Beach is a suburb. Greenwich CT is a suburb, Plymouth MA is a suburb

A county is not a suburb it’s a collection of suburbs
Venice Beach, CA is a part of the city of Los Angeles, so it can't be a suburb. OC is definitely a suburb of L.A. though the sprawling nature of the area can make different areas seem to be all part of the same single place.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:59 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Is Hollywood a part of Los Angeles though?
Yes, it's the city of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.