Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2023, 02:13 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times

Advertisements

LOL that sounds like an interesting night Matt.

That was Caldwell Woods, near O'Hare. The airport is part of the city, barely. Not a suburb. Though it's kind of an island and there are suburbs in all directions surrounding the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 02:36 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,923,585 times
It was definitely an interesting/fun time...the park didn't seem particularly well-maintained, with overgrown grass and whatnot, but it kind of contributed to the surreal feel of the night/morning...the park was in the city yet it felt further removed from civilization because of the state it was in. Plus it seemed like a place where fewer people than might've otherwise been expected would turn up, which was pretty much confirmed once daylight arrived...although there were a couple cyclists/runners on the trail. The immediate area reminded me uncannily of a neighborhood on the fringe of the Buffalo city limits, so that part was weird, too. I was a fan of the prairie-style building on the grounds, which google is telling me is a 'warming shelter' that may be refashioned into a 'wellness and welcome center' (whatever that ultimately means). I probably should have sought refuge in the warming center, hah...but no one appeared to be around.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:45 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You have me retreating to Wikipedia, but my understanding is that it occurred just before Lexington/Concord. It was a warning of impending war, so I mean...not to mention that it was in Boston itself. Actually, Wiki says: 'Riding through present-day Somerville, Medford, and Arlington, Revere warned patriots along his route, many of whom set out on horseback to deliver warnings of their own'
Right before as I’d, the night before to wake the Militia’s up.

He was going to Lexington/Concord but got caught in Arlington

Old 02-14-2023, 04:45 PM

57 posts, read 91,439 times
Scarsdale, NY and Greenwich, CT in the NY tri-state area.

Old 02-14-2023, 06:35 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
^ In addition to Scarsdale, I would say that Westchester County has two other suburban communities that are probably even more famous - the village of Sleepy Hollow and the city of Yonkers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepy_Hollow,_New_York

And in addition to Greenwich in Fairfield County, I would add Stamford, CT.

Old 02-14-2023, 06:40 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
^ In addition to Scarsdale, I would say that Westchester County has two other suburban communities that are probably even more famous - the village of Sleepy Hollow and the city of Yonkers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepy_Hollow,_New_York

And in addition to Greenwich in Fairfield County, I would add Stamford, CT.
I like Valhalla, NY. People are dying to get in there.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:36 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, I'd have to say one of those two...and I am not sure if I can name any beyond those two and Hammond, Indiana offhand. I'm going to give myself the five minutes or so it'll take to type up the rest of this post to think about it. Lake Forest? I think that's one. I was in Chicago in June for the second time in my life, first since 2003 (when my family and I went to a Cubs game after touring Notre Dame, which was one of the colleges I was considering attending)...but it was for a couple relatively brief stops at O'Hare, and I'm not even sure what town I was in when at O'Hare. The second stop was much longer than the first, though (I spent the weekend in Vegas between those two stops), and when I returned to O'Hare at around 9 PM on a Sunday night to find that my flight back to Buffalo was pushed back a day, I...went and talked the bartender into letting me buy not one but two Dogfishhead 60 Minute IPAs at near-closing time, then took a cab to Lincoln Park and drank till the bars closed...I ended up getting about two hours of sleep in a picturesque little park in some other part of the city (cabbie dropped me off there at around 5 AM after protesting multiple times that it was not the best idea)...the nearest intersection was Milwaukee and Nagle, I learned once I woke up and tried to orient myself...after a stop at the nearby Dunkin', I got a cab back to the airport, tried and failed to read a couple books purchased at the O'Hare bookstore despite being sleep deprived and hungover...good times. The people of Chicago struck me as affable; I'll definitely want to reenact that night out (park and all! hah) when I go back to the World Series of Poker this June....

Yeah, drawing a blank on other suburbs of Chicago. I think there's one that sounds kinda like the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak, but I'd have to google. Maybe I'm biased because I live closer to Detroit, but I think Detroit's suburbs are better-known overall than Chicago's, despite Chicago's status as a more major city. Detroit's pretty suburb-centric these days....
I think of Cicero due to the Capone connection, and Gary Indiana, even if it might technically not be a suburb I always associate it with Chicago.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:36 PM

994 posts, read 781,167 times
I'll take a stab at some what I think are true suburban places that I think have widespread name recognition (at least enough where the average person knows what metro they are in):

NYC: quite a few but definitely Greenwich and then "The Hamptons." Though I doubt many people (including myself) know what suburbs make up The Hamptons.

LA: More than NYC overall with Beverly Hills and Compton (for opposite reasons) being the top 2.

Chicago: This is kind of tough. I can probably rattle off a dozen Chicago suburbs though I'm not actually sure how known they are. Though maybe Naperville, Oak Park or Arlington Heights would have the most recognition?? Obviously Evanston, but that to me is more an extension of Chicago... kind of what Yonkers would be for NYC.

Philadelphia: "Main Line" is probably the most well known, though it's a collection of suburbs. I can name a few (Ardmore, Merion, Haverford) but I'd have to look up to see exactly what constitutes "Main Line"

Boston: another one where I could rattle off a dozen names if I thought about it (and chances are they will be near Boston). But I'm guessing they are mostly small urban cities that happen to be in Boston's realm ...like Brockton, Lynn, Quincy, Lawrence. Cambridge would be obvious but that also seems more of an extension of the city of Boston.

D.C.: maybe Silver Spring as a standalone "suburb". Seems though it seems like the local vernacular is more county based ... PG, Montgomery, Fairfax.

Cleveland: Shaker Heights. Maybe Cleveland Heights because it has "Cleveland" in it. Lakewood maybe as well but there are probably a dozen of cities named Lakewood (pretty common name) and Lakewood is also more an extension of Cleveland anyway.

Detroit: Grosse Point and Dearborn. I would add Hamtramck but that again is more a city neighborhood than a suburb.

SF: not sure here. Berkeley and Palo Alto come to mind because of UC-Berkeley and Stanford, but I'm not sure if either would be considered true suburbs, but that's because I've never been to the Bay Area.

Dallas: Irving, Plano and maybe Arlington. Texas is tough for me. I know those three are in Dallas-Fort Worth. But there are probably a hundred "suburbs" in Texas that if you said the name I've heard of, but wouldn't be sure if it was Dallas or Houston (but chances are I'd have a 50-50 shot at being right, lol).

Atlanta: East Point for sure and probably Sandy Springs or Marietta next. I'd say Decatur but there are a bunch of them across the country. College Park is a general name as well. Roswell, most people think of New Mexico (UFOs).

I can go on but will stop here for now.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:10 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
People never heard of Lexington and Concord? Really? The American Revolution ring a bell at all? I am kind of surprised.

As for not knowing whether they are suburbs or not - how many people know that Beverly Hills or Bel Air are actually suburbs either? They are famous and well known though.
In terms of Lexington, I think of Kentucky, and I thought Concord was more of a region than a specific area. Ido agree about the other two, though.

What surprises me is people mentioning Plano but not Arlington. By every definition, Arlington is a suburbs and owes it popularity to its core cities, Fort Worth ans Dallas, which I don't believe is the case for Plymouth or Salem.

I'd also argue Miami Beach is very famous, but perhaps the issue is not everyone is aware that it is its own municipality.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:32 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I like Valhalla, NY. People are dying to get in there.
And Westchester is also home to the Sing Sing prison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.