Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2023, 09:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
No way. I’ll give you Salem and Plymouth because of what kids learn in school, but I’m sure most don’t know they’re “suburbs” of Boston? Unless you’re from the region, have family there, visited, etc, I don’t think anyone knows of Lexington and Concord? Although this could be said about most listed in this thread that aren’t household names like Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc.
People never heard of Lexington and Concord? Really? The American Revolution ring a bell at all? I am kind of surprised.

As for not knowing whether they are suburbs or not - how many people know that Beverly Hills or Bel Air are actually suburbs either? They are famous and well known though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 08:17 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
For Boston, I think almost everybody heard of Lexington, Concord and Salem and maybe Plymouth. After that you got Marblehead and Quincy. The suburbs in the Boston area are some of the nicest in the country.

But I am not sure if that is what the OP was looking for or not. He seems to be looking for suburban regions or at least counties, not individual towns.
+Wellesley too. Maybe over Quincy, I am actually unsure whether people know of Quincy outside New England.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:32 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
There's a lot of famous "suburbs" if you want to talk about their relevance in American history. Valley Forge, Trenton, Princeton, Manassas, Gettysburg and more.

However most of these towns/cities wouldn't be famous suburbs in the modern definition of the word.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:48 AM

1,204 posts, read 793,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
There's a lot of famous "suburbs" if you want to talk about their relevance in American history. Valley Forge, Trenton, Princeton, Manassas, Gettysburg and more.

However most of these towns/cities wouldn't be famous suburbs in the modern definition of the word.
Gettysburg is not a suburb at all lol...it's literally a small town (with its own MSA no less).

Princeton is probably more famous for the university anyway (I mean, it's usually Harvard, Yale, then Princeton in that order when you ask people about Ivy League school list).

Trenton is more famous for being state capital of NJ anyway...and is again not really a suburb (at max it's a satellite city).

Old 02-14-2023, 08:50 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post

Those are perfectly fair answers (except Manassas is know as Bull Run in the North so may be a tier down)

Also Princeton is pretty famous for a University that is there as well.

Also what city is Gettysburg a suburb of? Isn’t it kind it’s own thing. But super famous regardless.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:03 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Gotta remember, title says famous, not prominent.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:47 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Lol you're still at it with this concept? You're the only that thinks of it in that way, the rest of the country is thinking about turkey, ham, Indians and Pilgrams.
Bostonians are a different breed. I think it's a mix of the little brother complex to NYC, but also the pride of its history and prominence, especially in the 1700s-1800s. That said, I appreciate the pride they have. It's commendable.

NOBODY outside of that area thinks about Plymouth being anything other than where pilgrims happened to land.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:51 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
People never heard of Lexington and Concord? Really? The American Revolution ring a bell at all? I am kind of surprised.
Most American can probably only name a handful of specifics details about the American Revolution, and Lexington and Concord aren’t making the cut? On the outside chance they do are they really gonna know they’re suburbs of Boston?

Old 02-14-2023, 10:53 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Most American can probably only name a handful of specifics details about the American Revolution, and Lexington and Concord aren’t making the cut? On the outside chance they do are they really gonna know they’re suburbs of Boston?
I'm sort of a geek but I'm not sure those two would be in the top 5 suburbs that I would associate with boston.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:29 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Bostonians are a different breed. I think it's a mix of the little brother complex to NYC, but also the pride of its history and prominence, especially in the 1700s-1800s. That said, I appreciate the pride they have. It's commendable.

NOBODY outside of that area thinks about Plymouth being anything other than where pilgrims happened to land.
Yeah that’s the thing that makes it a household name. Nobody is claiming people know the best diner in Plymouth or whatever. It’s just that people have heard of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.