Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 06:07 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Until now there were no mentions of Moore, and Norman Oklahoma to the most (in)famous suburbs in America, all has to do to the fact that Moore OK was hit by 2 tornadoes in 1999, and 2013 that gained both national and international attention, and Norman OK is not just home to the University of Oklahoma, but also the National Weather Center one of the first names when it comes to mind of predicting severe weather especially tornadoes and severe thunderstorms
I didn't know Norman was a 'burb...my brother applied to OU, as he intended to major in meteorology/atmospheric science, but I didn't take the opportunity to go visit with him. That said, I don't think Norman and especially not Moore deserve consideration here. How many people remember that Northridge was the LA suburb that served as the epicenter of the deadly 1994 earthquake? Littleton, Colorado is more famous than any 'suburb' that's had a natural disaster, and Littleton's particular brand of disaster was manmade/adolescent-made....

Edit: Northridge is actually an LA neighborhood in the suburban-in-feel San Fernando Valley...my bad on that part.

Edit II: From Wikipedia:

'Littleton became widely known in 1999 when the Columbine High School massacre occurred, where two of the school's students, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, murdered 12 students and one teacher, injured 23 others and then killed themselves.[13] News media wrongly reported that the incident happened in the city, because the school's ZIP code is primarily associated with Littleton.[14] The school is actually located in adjacent Columbine, an unincorporated community, which is not a place name accepted by the U.S. Postal Service;[14] by default, locations in ZIP code 80123 use “Littleton” in their mailing addresses.[15] Columbine High School is in the Jefferson County school system and is not one of the Littleton Public Schools.[16][17]'

I'm full of inaccuracies today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 09:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Orange County isn’t a suburb?

Venice Beach is a suburb. Greenwich CT is a suburb, Plymouth MA is a suburb

A county is not a suburb it’s a collection of suburbs
What about Westchester? A quintessential NYC suburb that is a county.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:43 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most famous? Probably Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Laguna Beach, Greenwich, Westport, Boca Raton, Miami Beach, Arlington, Bethesda.

Famous for negativity? Littleton, Newtown, Parkland.
I lived in Miami while growing up and honestly never heard of Parkland until the shooting. had to look it up on a map and found it in Broward.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:17 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
What about Westchester? A quintessential NYC suburb that is a county.
My wife is from Westchester Co. You’d be surprised how many people have no clue what/where it is?

Old 02-23-2023, 07:42 AM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
So, so many listed here that people think are famous, that I've barely heard of. And trust me, I've had a keen awareness for decades of cities, states, etc. People seem to have a tendency here, to give their areas much more importance than the rest of the country does. We know about major cities, and a lot of minor cities. Unless you live in a surrounding area or even state, your suburbs aren't something we hear of, or think about.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:48 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
My wife is from Westchester Co. You’d be surprised how many people have no clue what/where it is?
Yea, I know of Westchester, but I wouldn't know exactly where it was in proximity of NYC.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:53 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yea, I know of Westchester, but I wouldn't know exactly where it was in proximity of NYC.
Quite simply, due North.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:33 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
So, so many listed here that people think are famous, that I've barely heard of. And trust me, I've had a keen awareness for decades of cities, states, etc. People seem to have a tendency here, to give their areas much more importance than the rest of the country does. We know about major cities, and a lot of minor cities. Unless you live in a surrounding area or even state, your suburbs aren't something we hear of, or think about.
Agreed!

Littleton?! Doral?! And countless others.

I'd assume that relatively few outside CD types knows the suburbs in my city.

A literal handful rise to true fame in my opinion, where most people at least in the US know them, as do a large percentage of the rest of the English-speaking world.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:09 AM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Agreed!

A literal handful rise to true fame in my opinion, where most people at least in the US know them, as do a large percentage of the rest of the English-speaking world.
Yes, a literal handful. I'm very surprised at some of these "well-known" suburbs that people have mentioned in this thread that I've never heard of...and I don't live in a bubble.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Agreed!

Yeah, Doral is a good one—made famous not only by the Trump National resort and golf course but it is quite popular and known outside the US, particularly with Venezuelans.

Getting back to Westchester, isn’t Yonkers well known?….I mentioned Scarsdale earlier (and the “Scarsdale diet”), whereas the Clinton’s put Chappaqua (never heard of it until them) on the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.