Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 01:22 AM

221 posts, read 114,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
LOL you just describe Maryland.

Maryland isn't exactly that well known and TBH nobody really cares about Maryland outside of NoVA and DC. But the locals? They would go on and on about the state flag, snot a bunch of Old Bay, then go on and on about which crab shack is better . Ok...and of course complain about the high tax.
That made me laugh. Is Natty still a thing?

....its always Texas, btw. And not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 05:52 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Which state has the strongest state-level identity?

I'd say it's Texas. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Texan. It took me moving out of Texas to realize how Texas-centric the state really is. Like I remember living Georgia and coming back to visit Family in Texas and as soon as I entered the state line you could see the big ass Texas state flag on the side of the highway. Then it hit me, I never saw Georgia's state flag on the side of highway like that before and this was the case with other states as well.

There's a joke that Texas is the Kanye West of states. And honestly it's a little annoying how prideful Texans are about their state. I don't think Sandy from SpongeBob would work as well if she were from Hawaii but her being from Texas and letting everybody know works because that's how Texans generally feel about their state.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:15 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Which state has the strongest state-level identity?

I'd say it's Texas. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Texan. It took me moving out of Texas to realize how Texas-centric the state really is. Like I remember living Georgia and coming back to visit Family in Texas and as soon as I entered the state line you could see the big ass Texas state flag on the side of the highway. Then it hit me, I never saw Georgia's state flag on the side of highway like that before and this was the case with other states as well.

There's a joke that Texas is the Kanye West of states. And honestly it's a little annoying how prideful Texans are about their state. I don't think Sandy from SpongeBob would work as well if she were from Hawaii but her being from Texas and letting everybody know works because that's how Texans generally feel about their state.
yea it's been pointed out that the wording I used in the topic is somewhat misleading. I meant which one has the strongest reputation or brand to outsiders, rather than which states the local residents identify most with. I think Texas probably comes out near the top in both categories though

Old 05-09-2023, 02:28 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
That made me laugh. Is Natty still a thing?

....its always Texas, btw. And not even close.
Forgot about Natty Boh. Although that's definitely more of a Baltimore thing than the entire state.

But yes, I grew up in Texas and it is not even close. California has that NorCal vs SoCal difference. Texas? Houston and Dallas may have a rivalry but at the end, it is still Texas first.

Old 05-10-2023, 04:10 PM

160 posts, read 103,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
The show Yellowstone is wildly popular and has inspired spin off series that are set there. That Big Sky Country setting with vast expanses and mountain ranges is unforgettable. An idyllic setting for a ranch and a romanticized part of the West. It's not for everyone, but it's not unknown either.
Admittedly I don't watch much television, but I have heard people raving about Yellowstone, I just figured that since 98% of Yellowstone is in Wyoming, I never really made me think of Montana.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:57 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStoNYtoILtoTX View Post
Louisiana is definitely too low. I also agree that New Mexico has should also be higher. I’m not why Kansas is listed. To me, states with a unique identity are New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and maybe Florida.
Kansas has a unique identity. Windmills, sunflowers, tornadoes, farmland, wheat, corn, Wizard of Oz, a popular rock band, and Superman.

For better or worse, Kansas is seen as the stand-in for unassuming, safe, if boring, middle America.

Old 05-16-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I definitely would not put Minnesota in t1. Many people in outside of US/CA could not even tell you one thing about Minnesota. Probably some Americans coud not even find it on the map.
Idk about tier 1 but MN has a well known accent that stands out, just like the NY/NJ, Boston, Texas and California accent. We are known for being very cold, snowy, Prince, lakes, hockey.

There's this Irish Youtuber I was watching and he was playing my favourite video game and there's a character who is supposed to be Canadian and has a thick accent and his reaction was "Is she from Minnesota?" So Minnesota is at least known well enough that some guy in Ireland can tell what the accent sounds like.

The north central tier of the US has what is sometimes referred to as "You betcha!" culture. Minnesota is at the heart of that. Wisconsin is with us too but they're also known for the Packers, beer, cheese and serial killers lol. But similar reputation.

Old 05-16-2023, 03:07 PM

8,483 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Texas is in a league of their own. They have their own pantheon of iconology: the lone star, the state flag, even the outline of the state, any number of which are prominently displayed on businesses and homes way, WAY more commonly than any other state, period. Add in its geographical size, economic prowess, and its unique identity of having been its own nation and thus able to fly its flag at equal height to that of the U.S. flag, and I have seen nothing at all which even remotely compares to Texas in this regard. I would go so far as to say that by comparison (and to be fair, by comparison only), no other state really has a cohesive identity.

Old 05-16-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Who knows about Minnesota?

It's not exactly prominent in American history or pop culture. I don't know the settlement pattern or when it was settled, really. Or how Minneapolis and St Paul became big cities. It seems like middle of the road just cold. All I know about Minnesota identity is Hockey. There's Prince too, like id be willing to move it up a tier but its more identified by the Twin Cities than by the state.
To be fair, even a lot of people outside Texas don't know much about Texas' settlement patterns either and Texas has the strongest state identity of them all. US history focuses a lot on the English colonies and then the California gold rush era but really skips much of the rest of the country when it comes to how its taught in schools.

Most people that are ignorant about MN are the same people that are ignorant about anywhere that's not where they live, or NY and CA. They are just as likely to be ignorant on Kentucky or Michigan.

And I lived in Texas. To a lot of people down there, Massachusetts might as well be on Pluto. My husband always struggled to name the Northeastern states on a map but was good with everything west of PA. Doesn't diminish MA's prominence and identity though.

Old 05-16-2023, 03:14 PM

12,818 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Texas is in a league of their own. They have their own pantheon of iconology: the lone star, the state flag, even the outline of the state, any number of which are prominently displayed on businesses and homes way, WAY more commonly than any other state, period. Add in its geographical size, economic prowess, and its unique identity of having been its own nation and thus able to fly its flag at equal height to that of the U.S. flag, and I have seen nothing at all which even remotely compares to Texas in this regard. I would go so far as to say that by comparison (and to be fair, by comparison only), no other state really has a cohesive identity.
Yep. And companies hone in on that. Example:

Ford is the best in Texas (do you think they have national ad campaigns in Delaware).
Texas edition vehicles. I'm not sure even California has that.
"I wasn't born in Texas but got here as soon as I could!" Do other states have bumper stickers or tshirts like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.