Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2023, 08:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Wait, which of the three cultures dominates as you go west?

I'll buy that NC is the cusp between South and Mid-Atlantic, but also between Mid-Atlantic and North?

P.S. Am planning a trip to southern Delaware next month, and noticed that right near my cottage is a Harris-Teeter. There's a sign that Delaware will be juuuuust a little southern.
NC is unquestionably southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 08:50 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
NC is South. Kubota-cut rural yards wih lawn jockeys. Junctions with PickaPack stores and Nazarine Tabernacles. Deathly quiet pine monocultures on cotton-inert dirt.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:26 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,781 times
As someone who lives in Charlotte, it is the south. Nobody questions that in real life except on this board. Y’all are getting extreme now because it is the year 2023 and certain places don’t fit your stereotypes.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:27 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
I don't understand people who say that the "Mid-Atlantic is both Northern AND Southern." To me, it's always been the part of the NORTHeast that isn't New England. So... NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, WV. It has never been this "hybrid" of north and south. That would just be "East coast" which encompasses Maine down to Florida.

Anyway... NC does not fit that divide. It's fully in the South.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:34 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Again the South is not monolithic I feel I'm debate a two sides. One side is using stereotypes of how 1940 Mississippi is true Southern there for NC is not Southern enough. The other side is also using old Southern stereotypes to argue how Southern NC is.

Basically NC is southern but not the same southern as Arkansas etc. There a clear pattern of South Atlantic from The interior or central Southern states "also with TX/OK but that different story"

But when think of "The Sunbelt boom" It's South Atlantic states FL, GA, SC and NC at one end, and TX/OK at the other. The only noticeable exception is Nashville, Some of East TN, Huntsville AL maybe. Otherwise it's pretty much South Atlantic vs TX/Ok. The central Southern states isn't growing that fast. It's mainly the ends.

Population by State map

Population growth 2010 - 2020 Map

US Night Satellite Map

So what has happens is some North Carolinans reject these southern stereotypes and reject that it's a part of the South but this creates another problem, because it is similar to other states in it's sub region of South. Like wise a poster brought up earlier how transplanted, how growing international growing Hispanic and etc the population is in NC makes NC different from other southern states ............. Well Clearly not there Georgia. ands obliviously Florida right there.

I brought this up but

SC 5,282,634 in 30,109 sq mi

AL 5,039,877 in 50,744 sq mi

SC has more people in than AL in only 3/5 area.

I think some people don't think to associated NC and GA, because they view SC as a gap. but Upstate SC or Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA is 1.5 mil. Otherwise between Atlanta and Charlotte is a CSA that similar size of New Orleans, or Louisville CSA. That why if you look on those map Raleigh to Atlanta looks very connected. Greenville MSA is 958,958 will probably hit a million some time this decade.

Greenville SC

So the NC's cities of Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro/winston salem is connected with Up State SC and Greater Atlanta. Making a chain of cities in this little piedmont. There no connecting of NC piedmont cities to the Mid Atlantic. You see this in those map above.

I also think people over look Wilmington NC to it's peers of Savanah and Charleston.

wilmington NC

wilmington

Charleston SC

Charleston

Savanah GA

Savanah

NC, SC, GA

- Colonial historic coast
- Fault line cities
- Large Sunbelt Cosmopolitan cities in the Piedmont.
- Southern Blue Ridge MTS

Old 06-21-2023, 08:41 AM

185 posts, read 127,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again the South is not monolithic I feel I'm debate a two sides. One side is using stereotypes of how 1940 Mississippi is true Southern there for NC is not Southern enough. The other side is also using old Southern stereotypes to argue how Southern NC is.

Basically NC is southern but not the same southern as Arkansas etc. There a clear pattern of South Atlantic from The interior or central Southern states "also with TX/OK but that different story"

But when think of "The Sunbelt boom" It's South Atlantic states FL, GA, SC and NC at one end, and TX/OK at the other. The only noticeable exception is Nashville, Some of East TN, Huntsville AL maybe. Otherwise it's pretty much South Atlantic vs TX/Ok. The central Southern states isn't growing that fast. It's mainly the ends.

Population by State map

Population growth 2010 - 2020 Map

US Night Satellite Map

So what has happens is some North Carolinans reject these southern stereotypes and reject that it's a part of the South but this creates another problem, because it is similar to other states in it's sub region of South. Like wise a poster brought up earlier how transplanted, how growing international growing Hispanic and etc the population is in NC makes NC different from other southern states ............. Well Clearly not there Georgia. ands obliviously Florida right there.

I brought this up but

SC 5,282,634 in 30,109 sq mi

AL 5,039,877 in 50,744 sq mi

SC has more people in than AL in only 3/5 area.

I think some people don't think to associated NC and GA, because they view SC as a gap. but Upstate SC or Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA is 1.5 mil. Otherwise between Atlanta and Charlotte is a CSA that similar size of New Orleans, or Louisville CSA. That why if you look on those map Raleigh to Atlanta looks very connected. Greenville MSA is 958,958 will probably hit a million some time this decade.

Greenville SC

So the NC's cities of Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro/winston salem is connected with Up State SC and Greater Atlanta. Making a chain of cities in this little piedmont. There no connecting of NC piedmont cities to the Mid Atlantic. You see this in those map above.

I also think people over look Wilmington NC to it's peers of Savanah and Charleston.

wilmington NC

wilmington

Charleston SC

Charleston

Savanah GA

Savanah

NC, SC, GA

- Colonial historic coast
- Fault line cities
- Large Sunbelt Cosmopolitan cities in the Piedmont.
- Southern Blue Ridge MTS
I live in the Raleigh-Durham area and have made many trips to Atlanta during my lifetime and I've never felt the two areas are connected via a "little piedmont" area. The distance between the two areas is too great to feel any connection. The distance from the Triangle to Atlanta is the same distance as from the Triangle to Philadelphia. And there is definitely no connection between these two areas. In the Triangle we do feel a connection with the Triad and Charlotte via I-85. But, that's the extent of connection to any other metro areas. But, I do think Atanta has some connection to Greenville SC via I-85 and Birmingham via I-20.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:40 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
I think it’s more like Raleigh is connected to Charlotte which is connected to Greenville which is connected to Atlanta. It’s fairly continuous growth along the whole corridor. It’s just dead air between Raleigh and Richmond.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:46 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I think it’s more like Raleigh is connected to Charlotte which is connected to Greenville which is connected to Atlanta. It’s fairly continuous growth along the whole corridor. It’s just dead air between Raleigh and Richmond.
The "Piedmont Crescent" as it is often referred.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:04 AM

543 posts, read 560,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
I live in the Raleigh-Durham area and have made many trips to Atlanta during my lifetime and I've never felt the two areas are connected via a "little piedmont" area. The distance between the two areas is too great to feel any connection. The distance from the Triangle to Atlanta is the same distance as from the Triangle to Philadelphia. And there is definitely no connection between these two areas. In the Triangle we do feel a connection with the Triad and Charlotte via I-85. But, that's the extent of connection to any other metro areas. But, I do think Atlanta has some connection to Greenville SC via I-85 and Birmingham via I-20.
Atlanta's got a connection to Birmingham, but it's not only via I-20. If it were, Talladega NF would limit the connection. Auburn's kinda the secret lock that overtly binds them now. The Shoals, Huntsville, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Auburn, and Anniston/Talladega are all loosely tied in a way that bleeding influence into one gives relatively easy access to bleed into any of the rest (but loose enough that if you don't want to, you can put effort in to not). The northern half of Alabama isn't Carolina Crescent dense, but its rural areas are as close to as dense as possible while still considered rural. (Southern Alabama not so much)

It's also a bit of what keeps Nashville in the discussion, as Nashville to Chattanooga is still a bit separated (Though Chattanooga's definitely within Atlanta influence). However, Nashville's also got a bit of a connection to both Huntsville and the Shoals, and that gives a secondary connection to Atlanta via the Alabama conglomerate. It's still somewhat isolated, though.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM

467 posts, read 428,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
I live in the Raleigh-Durham area and have made many trips to Atlanta during my lifetime and I've never felt the two areas are connected via a "little piedmont" area. The distance between the two areas is too great to feel any connection. The distance from the Triangle to Atlanta is the same distance as from the Triangle to Philadelphia. And there is definitely no connection between these two areas.
To claim there is "definitely no connection" between the Triangle and Atlanta is simply untrue, or representative of merely your own personal experience that you're trying to extrapolate for everyone else.

UNC, for one, sends a ton of grads to Atlanta each year (and vice versa). And for better or worse, Raleigh definitely takes some note of what goes down in the "capital" of the South. The Triangle in general is an educational powerhouse for the South (and country), and Atlanta being the region's preeminent city, there is bound to be some connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.