Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2023, 04:12 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

I keeping coming back to this thread to get updates...

Old 07-03-2023, 04:29 PM

409 posts, read 334,024 times
I could see one or two of the VA counties near the I-81 corridor or even on the I-95 side below Stafford moving to the DC MSA otherwise I see no change on the MD side.

I actually don't see Calvert moving to the DC MSA anytime soon. I see Washington County switching earlier to the DC MSA before I see Calvert doing so.

I remember seeing an article a few years back where residents of Calvert County expressed their displeasure in being associated with the DC MSA. Wish I could link it but I actually can't actually find the article.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
I could see one or two of the VA counties near the I-81 corridor or even on the I-95 side below Stafford moving to the DC MSA otherwise I see no change on the MD side.

I actually don't see Calvert moving to the DC MSA anytime soon. I see Washington County switching earlier to the DC MSA before I see Calvert honestly.

I remember seeing an article a few years back where residents of Calvert County expressed their displeasure in being associated with the DC MSA. Wish I could link it but I actually can't actually find the article.
Calvert IS already DC MSA...as is Fredericksburg VA (the city) plus Spotsylvania Co, both below Stafford Co.

The big question is Orange County VA with the growth in Lake of the Woods becoming DC MSA or not.

For WashCo - the question to me is why it is still grouped with Martinsburg WV when the commute between the two are nothing to write home about. WashCo peeps commute more to Frederick Co MD than Martinsburg anyway, while Berkeley County WV (Martinsburg) commute as much to Hagerstown as they do to Winchester / Frederick Co VA. Hagerstown is definitely still its own MSA with people overwhelmingly commute within the county.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:56 PM

409 posts, read 334,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Calvert IS already DC MSA...as is Fredericksburg VA (the city) plus Spotsylvania Co, both below Stafford Co.

The big question is Orange County VA with the growth in Lake of the Woods becoming DC MSA or not.

For WashCo - the question to me is why it is still grouped with Martinsburg WV when the commute between the two are nothing to write home about. WashCo peeps commute more to Frederick Co MD than Martinsburg anyway, while Berkeley County WV (Martinsburg) commute as much to Hagerstown as they do to Winchester / Frederick Co VA. Hagerstown is definitely still its own MSA with people overwhelmingly commute within the county.
My VA geography sucks tbh. I was probably thinking of King George VA which I think could be a legit candidate for DC MSA addition.

But I don't really see why WashCo isn't either. Some of the growth from the more developed and urbanized parts of Frederick County is starting to already creep up to parts of Washington County just like it has from MoCo to Frederick Co for decades.

One thing for sure I do think will happen is WashCo does get added to the DC MSA within this decade. There are already early morning commuter buses that go from Hagerstown down to Shady Grove Metro station and Rock Spring (in Bethesda).

Old 07-03-2023, 06:56 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I keeping coming back to this thread to get updates...
Which is going to make our disappointment so much more epic

Old 07-03-2023, 07:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post

Orange County won’t become MSA. It’s incredibly rare for a county to go from not even in the CSA going straight to MSA. It’s extremely likely to join the CSA, but the MSA is a bridge too far.

Calvert probably leaves the MSA and joins Saint Marys. Development patterns and commuting between the two is becoming quickly intertwined. It still stays CSA though.

That Lusby-Solomons-California-Lexington Park corridor is booming and pulling the two close together.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:06 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Which is going to make our disappointment so much more epic
The CD curse

Old 07-03-2023, 10:24 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Orange County won’t become MSA. It’s incredibly rare for a county to go from not even in the CSA going straight to MSA. It’s extremely likely to join the CSA, but the MSA is a bridge too far.

Calvert probably leaves the MSA and joins Saint Marys. Development patterns and commuting between the two is becoming quickly intertwined. It still stays CSA though.

That Lusby-Solomons-California-Lexington Park corridor is booming and pulling the two close together.
For Calvert - it will probably stay DC MSA. South County leans California/Lexington Park but that is offset by whatever "growth" in North County which is DC exurbs. The like of Dunkirk/Owings down to Prince Frederick is definitely more DC.

Quote:
My VA geography sucks tbh. I was probably thinking of King George VA which I think could be a legit candidate for DC MSA addition.

But I don't really see why WashCo isn't either. Some of the growth from the more developed and urbanized parts of Frederick County is starting to already creep up to parts of Washington County just like it has from MoCo to Frederick Co for decades.

One thing for sure I do think will happen is WashCo does get added to the DC MSA within this decade. There are already early morning commuter buses that go from Hagerstown down to Shady Grove Metro station and Rock Spring (in Bethesda).
Hagerstown itself is still big enough of a job center to stay its own MSA. Yes, WashCo peeps do commute to FredCo and MoCo, whoch is why WashCo is in the CSA (and should stay that way).

Old 07-04-2023, 12:24 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:

Not happening anytime soon tbh. Hagerstown is large enough that its own job center, but it's already part of the DC-Baltimore CSA so that point is moot.

York-Hanover, PA would have been the next logical choice for an addition to the CSA but that was put into the grave when they combined with Harrisburg to create a new CSA.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:57 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
ever since trump the whole Census Bureau is a mess. Dont rely on them for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.