Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 08:37 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Remember, back then there weren’t nearly as many CMSAs as there are CSAs now. So when the census bureau released the list of the largest metro areas, it was the CMSAs and MSAs together on the same list. Since 2003, CSAs and MSAs are on separate lists. This was probably done to make cities like Baltimore and Akron happy. In other words, it’s all politics!!
What a stroll down memory lane.

MSAs were called PMSAs, 'P' standing for Primary

Oakland, Ft Worth, Newark etc were all stand alone, I think St Paul and Minneapolis were together tho, can't remember.

Many current Metro Divisions follow those same boundaries.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:00 AM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Is there a list anywhere of all the MSAs going back to 1950 (not just the top 50, but all of them) along with their county makeups?

The reason I ask is that I seem to remember that the Huntsville MSA used to include Marshall County along with Madison County. I don't think it even included Limestone County decades ago.

Now, Morgan County (Decatur) should be included but is not, unless this latest definition (if it's ever released) finally includes it. Currently, there is a separate Decatur MSA even though everybody who has heard of the place considers "Huntsville Decatur" to be one place. It's already a CSA but not an MSA.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:23 AM

Page 55 of this:
https://www2.census.gov/library/publ...ed/1950-02.pdf

There werent many areas designated with the term 'Metropolitan' back then.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:39 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What a stroll down memory lane.

MSAs were called PMSAs, 'P' standing for Primary

Oakland, Ft Worth, Newark etc were all stand alone, I think St Paul and Minneapolis were together tho, can't remember.

Many current Metro Divisions follow those same boundaries.
Sounds like fun times. I think they should go back.
Having the PMSAs and CMSA all on one list might end some confusion too.

I think the validity questioning is because of how spread out some CSAs are, not because they are confused.

The only confusing part is when people use CSA data and another poster responds to the data using the primary city in the CSA to draw conclusions from the data.

For example : posting a list of CSAs by population.
Nothing confusing yet. Totally acceptable.
Then someone comes and sees that Washington- Baltimore CSA is more populated than Chicago and comments that DC is bigger than Chicago. Very confusing. DC isn't bigger than Chicago, the CSA is.

Maybe having both on the same list clears up some of that. Heck , they could stick with metro division and CSA and get rid of MSA. MSAs are getting just as spread out as CSAs. Only problem is some MSAs don't have metro divisions and we would end up with the situation where Riverside is bigger than DC, SF, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Dallas, Seattle. Phoenix.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:30 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Maybe having both on the same list clears up some of that. Heck , they could stick with metro division and CSA and get rid of MSA. MSAs are getting just as spread out as CSAs. Only problem is some MSAs don't have metro divisions and we would end up with the situation where Riverside is bigger than DC, SF, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Dallas, Seattle. Phoenix.
Agree 100%. Some of these MSAS are massive. Some are more or less the same as the MSA (Houston and Vegas). Some of the CSAs are so physically large in comparison to the core city it doesn't make sense.

I think the best way would be to simply make Metro Divisions the entirety make up of CSAs (give it a new name) and eliminate MSAs altogether. if a place really cant support to Metro Divisions then just stick with the MSA definition under the new name.

When people reference MSA, its no more accurate descriptor for the size of DC than the CSA is IMO.

IMHO "Metro Boston" really is only like 2 million people. After that your getting into "Greater Boston" and more disconnected suburbs. 2 million feels accurate for the number of people living and manuevering in the true Boston area, but the influence in media/sports extends much further into that 5-8 M person range. Bu they are anchored around cities and suburbs 20 miles outside of Boston like Brockton, Lynn, Lowell, Framingham, Taunton, Lawrence and out to Worcester Providence and New Bedford. Those places have their own papers/media/customs (e.g. North Sore Roast beef, South Shore Bar Pizza) They're not really "Boston" oriented in the same way as that core 2 million. Again- why NECTAs exist and probably why New England MSAs were by town until 1975..

Old 07-11-2023, 10:38 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,086,917 times
Pretty wild how all of North Jersey and Long Island were removed from the MSA in 1959 and 1972.

Interestingly enough this entire area was re-designated in 1983 minus Bergen which had a 10 year head start and was re-designated in 1973.

Old 07-11-2023, 11:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Agree 100%. Some of these MSAS are massive. Some are more or less the same as the MSA (Houston and Vegas). Some of the CSAs are so physically large in comparison to the core city it doesn't make sense.

I think the best way would be to simply make Metro Divisions the entirety make up of CSAs (give it a new name) and eliminate MSAs altogether. if a place really cant support to Metro Divisions then just stick with the MSA definition under the new name.

When people reference MSA, its no more accurate descriptor for the size of DC than the CSA is IMO.

IMHO "Metro Boston" really is only like 2 million people. After that your getting into "Greater Boston" and more disconnected suburbs. 2 million feels accurate for the number of people living and manuevering in the true Boston area, but the influence in media/sports extends much further into that 5-8 M person range. Bu they are anchored around cities and suburbs 20 miles outside of Boston like Brockton, Lynn, Lowell, Framingham, Taunton, Lawrence and out to Worcester Providence and New Bedford. Those places have their own papers/media/customs (e.g. North Sore Roast beef, South Shore Bar Pizza) They're not really "Boston" oriented in the same way as that core 2 million. Again- why NECTAs exist and probably why New England MSAs were by town until 1975..
Although I agree with you. And it is something I just proposed, I do see how uneven the application would be. It would heavily favor western metros if people focus too much on the metro division portion and ignore the greater area.

To make it work all lists would have to have both sets of Data. Focusing on just metro division
#1 and 2 would stay the same,
Chicago would drop to #4,
5 would be Atlanta then
6 would be Riverside ,
7 would be Phoenix,
8 would be DC,
9 would be Dallas and
10 would be Minneapolis.

Places like Denver and Tampa would probably be way ahead of Philadelphia, Boston and SF.

I think the whole thing would have to be reworked to give more weight to commerce. But even then, I don't see how they would get around physically large counties like Riverside, San Bernardino, Maricopa, Clark, etc. The OMB would have to get really creative to make a standalone metro division list not shock our senses. But mixing in a slimmed down csa would probably work.

Edit: I just looked it up and I am off. DC and Dallas metro divisions are bigger than Riverside/ SB

4. Chicago-Naperville-Evanston, IL Division- 7,159,394
5. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, Metro- 6,144,970
6. Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX Division- 5,217,380
7. DC -Arlington-Alexandria Division- 5,023,990
8. Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler Metro - 4,946,145
9. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario Metro- 4,653,105
10. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Metro Area- 3,690,512

Last edited by atadytic19; 07-11-2023 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2023, 11:54 AM

1,204 posts, read 794,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Which is why I find Urban Area more accurate in general in terms of how "big" a place is. It's not perfect especially in the NE (i.e. some division just makes no sense...as if DC and Waldorf are really that separated, or Baltimore and Aberdeen/Bel Air, etc.). At a minimum you kept, let say, Worcester and Leominster/Fitchburg apart since those two are definitely two separated area, even though both are in Worcester Co, or how you can add LA and Inland Empire without adding Palm Springs or Victorville.

Old 07-11-2023, 01:44 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Urban areas are quirky as well. I think Downton Clayton NC is in Raleigh’s urbanized area. While Archer’s Lodge-Clayton is a separate urbanized area a mile down the highway.

Old 07-11-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Sounds like fun times. I think they should go back.
Having the PMSAs and CMSA all on one list might end some confusion too.

I think the validity questioning is because of how spread out some CSAs are, not because they are confused.

The only confusing part is when people use CSA data and another poster responds to the data using the primary city in the CSA to draw conclusions from the data.

For example : posting a list of CSAs by population.
Nothing confusing yet. Totally acceptable.
Then someone comes and sees that Washington- Baltimore CSA is more populated than Chicago and comments that DC is bigger than Chicago. Very confusing. DC isn't bigger than Chicago, the CSA is.

I am 99% certain the reason why they overhauled the entire system is because the LA PMSA surpassed NYC in population in 1990.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.