Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 09:41 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
We are T-7 days until the new Bulletin comes out based on 2020 Census data (according to the Federal Register notice that says June 2023). This will be the biggest release from 2023-2033 and changes in the interim are very small (like Pearsall County being added to San Antonio MSA a few years back).

So with that said, I wanted to get this community's predictions about the most talked about potentialities over the past decade and where you see them playing out. So here are the questions. You can answer any or all of them, and feel free to defend why:

Q1: Will San Francisco and San Jose merge MSAs?

My Response: I think it's a strong 'no.' If anything, the massive growth of tech in the San Jose area since 2013 means it is even less reliant on commuting into the San Francisco MSA. This is a dream fusion I've never seen as realistic.

Q2: Will Los Angeles and Riverside merge MSAs?

My Response: No. I give this <1% chance of happening. Most growth is in the Temecula/Murrietta area or the fringes of Inland Empire. Those people are less likely to commute into Los Angeles County than the existing population. So if the Inland Empire couldn't make it in prior decades, it won't happen now.
Recognizing that SF and San Jose are two separate and distinct MSA's on this forum will often result in ridicule, though I firmly believe they are (and the census recognizes them as such).

However, as BART continues to make inroads into San Jose, the idea that they are not one metro can more authoritatively be questioned. The nebulous nature of BART though (named for a region, not a metro) muddies the waters significantly.

As far as Los Angeles and Riverside, I believe there is a stronger case.

Many of us already see the Inland Empire as somewhat of a sham MSA, and it makes sense that its western cities would be counted in the LA MSA.

The Los Angeles Metro "A Line" recently became the world's longest light rail line, and Metro's official website shows Montclair (located in San Bernardino County) as a future station for Metro. So since there apparently will be a "Los Angeles Metro" branded transit line moving into the Inland Empire, I think this gives more weight to an LA/IE metro than a SF/SJ.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:48 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Its already been said that Harris County had the largest Hispanic and Black gains in the US. So for Houston, I'm guessing a large uptick in those demographics.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:50 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I've long thought of the following combos as their own metro area:

Baltimore/DC
Boston/Providence
SF/SJ/Oakland
LA/Inland Empire

Old 06-26-2023, 01:08 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
it's not just San Jose to the south of SF, it's also Stockton to the east. I don't think there will be a change but the Bay Area a job center keeps encroaching upon counties farther and farther away from the coast.

I was reading this article recently about how Merced(of all places) is now like this hot destination for bay area workers to buy homes, but it's 130 miles from SF, which is nuts.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:35 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

Baltimore/DC
Boston/Providence
SF/SJ/Oakland
LA/Inland Empire
I like these how they are right now, as CSA does tell the story where MSA doesn't. The one here that would likely receive the least pushback on combining would be SF/SJ, but not sure if it happens yet. If Riverside got pulled into LA it would only be because it's so weak, while LA is so dominant.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:42 PM

540 posts, read 555,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
it's not just San Jose to the south of SF, it's also Stockton to the east. I don't think there will be a change but the Bay Area a job center keeps encroaching upon counties farther and farther away from the coast.

I was reading this article recently about how Merced(of all places) is now like this hot destination for bay area workers to buy homes, but it's 130 miles from SF, which is nuts.
Seriously? That's further than Chattanooga is from Atlanta. Or Biloxi, MS is from Pensacola, FL (Mississippi's not a neighbor to Florida)

Old 06-26-2023, 06:26 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

Baltimore/DC
Boston/Providence
SF/SJ/Oakland
LA/Inland Empire
Imo, Worcester is 1000x more likely to combine its MSA with Boston than Providence is. Ditto for Manchester/Nashua and Barnstable. Though maybe more like 500x for those two.

Would it be possible for the Boston MSA to “steal” Bristol County MA from the PVD MSA? Or is it essentially all-or-nothing?

The wild card for Boston would be adding Portland to the CSA. It’s far from the city but only about as far by land as P-Town, which is already in the CSA. I work in Boston’s northern suburbs, and we have a handful of commuters from southern ME. I imagine hybrid working and MA housing prices might have even more folks considering making the drive.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 06-26-2023 at 07:27 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 06:51 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Los banos is where most people are commuting from, not merced proper.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:32 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
I actually think CSA’s would break up. Super commuters are more likely to be of the PMC that can now work from home. If your some VP who lives in (what was) Fairfield County CT you simply wouldn’t commute to Manhattan anymore. And the further you are from the city you’re both more likely to not want to make the commute and more likely to be able to WFH. I would be pretty surprised if New Haven for example, stays in the NYC CSA and I would be shocked if any MSA’s combine into CSA’s whether it be Worcester, San Jose or Akron

The only possibility is maybe Hartford-New Haven or Hartford-Springfield simply because boundaries chAnged rather than commuting patterns

Old 06-27-2023, 09:17 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Imo, Worcester is 1000x more likely to combine its MSA with Boston than Providence is. Ditto for Manchester/Nashua and Barnstable. Though maybe more like 500x for those two.

Would it be possible for the Boston MSA to “steal” Bristol County MA from the PVD MSA? Or is it essentially all-or-nothing?

The wild card for Boston would be adding Portland to the CSA. It’s far from the city but only about as far by land as P-Town, which is already in the CSA. I work in Boston’s northern suburbs, and we have a handful of commuters from southern ME. I imagine hybrid working and MA housing prices might have even more folks considering making the drive.
You know, I was thinking this too. Some family used to live in Easton and I would always think... 'Thats the Providence area??' lol. I wonder the same. Even my uncle who lives in Seekonk (two towns to PVD) would commute to Boston area (inside 128). With New Bedford and Fall River also getting commuter rails in the future, maybe Bristol County MA goes to Boston by 2030 at least? It should... over Worcester County imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.