Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 11:57 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Interesting graphic:

https://metrocosm.com/us-highway-map.html

https://metrocosm.com/traffic-flow-maps/

In personal experience driving, I find I-44, from Oklahoma City to St. Louis, much of the drive in rural areas, to be one of the most draining. Many trucks on this route, with terrain on it. It's one of the few interstates I can think of that doesn't run directly north-south or east-west, but rather, northeast to southwest and between two out of the four major cross country interstates (I-40 to I-70). Many stretches of 44 in rural Missouri are two lanes. The road should be 3 lanes throughout, minimum.
I've been on I-44 many times. It is the favorite diagonal shortcut for truck traffic between southern California (port of Los Angeles) and Chicago / mid-west destinations. The rolling terrain through the Ozarks is enough to slow down trucks on the climbs, and sometimes one truck tries to pass another on the climb which causes a left lane backup in many cases. I-44 is rural from OKC to St Louis with the exception of a few dozen miles around Tulsa and Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 04:35 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Rural interstates that need an upgrade from four to six lanes -

I-40 from Albuquerque, NM to Flagstaff, AZ
I-81 through most of Virginia
Several parts of I-80 between CA and NJ

These are some of the busiest shipping corridors in the US and the truck volume even in some of the remotest parts is very thick. The left lane is often blocked by a truck doing 55/60 mph, even late at night. As a result, car wrecks often happen from frustrated drivers trying to get around them. All these corridors need an upgrade.

Old 07-02-2023, 10:18 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
I-44 is worse than I-70 in Missouri in my opinion.
Oh well.
Kentucky has extensive 6 lanes out in the boonies on 65 and 75.
It’s getting pretty common.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:31 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
I do believe that Interstate 75 is at least 6 lanes (total) for the entire length of Georgia. Same for I-95 in Florida.
Ditto Georgia for I-95. Its pretty busy due to truck traffic and a lot of vacationers heading to/from Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I-95 in Florida is two lanes in each direction for a significant distance, from Stuart north to somewhere near Daytona.
Not since 2016, when I-95 became three lanes throughout all of its non-urban stretches.

I'd imagine I-15 between Vegas and SoCal is pretty bust as well during weekend and holiday periods, too. It's three lanes each way, too.

Old 07-02-2023, 02:15 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've been on I-44 many times. It is the favorite diagonal shortcut for truck traffic between southern California (port of Los Angeles) and Chicago / mid-west destinations. The rolling terrain through the Ozarks is enough to slow down trucks on the climbs, and sometimes one truck tries to pass another on the climb which causes a left lane backup in many cases. I-44 is rural from OKC to St Louis with the exception of a few dozen miles around Tulsa and Springfield.
I-44 is being widened to six lanes in Oklahoma. The first section west of Tulsa is finished. The rest of the Tulsa to Oklahoma City stretch and a section running for about 20 miles east of Tulsa are due to be completed in the next several years. Those projects are currently held up in court.

Old 07-02-2023, 02:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I-90 in Washington is 3 lanes through a long stretch of the Cascades. There are a lot of accidents and sudden blizzards out there in the winter, which I assume is the reason.

https://goo.gl/maps/4nTkZP5bvAWQsFQn8
No....it was to convert Kittitas County to subdivisions and second homes.

The decision was endorsed by the Sierra Club!!! I never thought I would see the day where environmentalists endorsed destroying natural landscapes for a interstate highway.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:10 PM

1,204 posts, read 793,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Same with I-70 in Colorado. I-70
https://maps.app.goo.gl/iVuWXC5AZFFLz7Av5
It's fairly common in many mountain passes stretch of interstates anyway. Many uphill sections of interstate has 3 lanes each direction with one being the "slow truck lane". You see that on I-5 in CA near Tejon Pass also (It's actually 4 lanes each direction...but back to 2 once you're in Central Valley).

Old 07-03-2023, 01:41 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Rural interstates that need an upgrade from four to six lanes -

I-40 from Albuquerque, NM to Flagstaff, AZ
I-81 through most of Virginia
Several parts of I-80 between CA and NJ

These are some of the busiest shipping corridors in the US and the truck volume even in some of the remotest parts is very thick. The left lane is often blocked by a truck doing 55/60 mph, even late at night. As a result, car wrecks often happen from frustrated drivers trying to get around them. All these corridors need an upgrade.
I've experienced how awful I-81 in Virginia is, for myself. That one for sure, could be helped by it being widened from 4 to 6 lanes.

I'll also nominate I-24 in Tennessee, as being worthy to be widened. Not just the part between Nashville to Murfreesboro should be 6 laned, as to me the rest of 24 could benefit from going up to 6 lanes.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:50 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,231,492 times
Only rural in spots, but Alabama's portion of I-65 is being pushed by lawmakers to get the 6-lane treatment from the Tennessee border to the Gulf coast.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:13 PM

409 posts, read 333,658 times
I-70 from Hagerstown down to Frederick gets a bunch of commuters on weekday mornings. It's a beautiful stretch of road though, however, I do think many of the communities between these two cities are quickly shedding their rural roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.