Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 09:49 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Which part? There are rarely traffic north of Hunt Valley...even JFX is not THAT congested for an urban freeway.

You want parking lot? Go south on I-95 from DC towards Fredericksburg VA.
When I worked in Hunt Valley traffic slowed to a crawl at Shawan Rd. I assume it is because the highway 3 lane to 2 lanes. Traffic doesn't go any further north than Sparks tho. It's not nearly as bad as 695 during rush hour.

95 in the DC is a parking lot any time of day except late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 11:26 AM

1,204 posts, read 796,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When I worked in Hunt Valley traffic slowed to a crawl at Shawan Rd. I assume it is because the highway 3 lane to 2 lanes. Traffic doesn't go any further north than Sparks tho. It's not nearly as bad as 695 during rush hour.

95 in the DC is a parking lot any time of day except late at night.
Yep...but either way Shawan Road is considered the line between suburbia and rural Baltimore County along 83 anyway, and north of that is just not that congested.

Any congestion is also mild compare to the 3 lanes to 2 lanes near Clarksburg towards Frederick on I-270. That area is congested even on weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Pretty sure I-35 is at least three lanes continuously between Denton and San Antonio and that's over 300 miles. And it goes without saying why that is the case.
The only other stretch that is probably longer, continuously 6 lanes is probably I-95 from Petersburg VA (I-85/I-95 split) to New Haven CT (I-91/I-95 split). About 435 miles. Definitely not as many rural stretch as I-35 in Texas, though - the longest rural stretch is from Richmond to Fredericksburg VA.

Old 07-05-2023, 04:53 PM

676 posts, read 495,355 times
Another busy rural stretch is Interstate 40 between Hickory and Statesville. AADT's range from 40-55,000 along that stretch, and its 4 lanes. There are plans to add an extra lane between the two cities, but its unfunded at this point.

Quote:
Yep...but either way Shawan Road is considered the line between suburbia and rural Baltimore County along 83 anyway, and north of that is just not that congested.

Any congestion is also mild compare to the 3 lanes to 2 lanes near Clarksburg towards Frederick on I-270. That area is congested even on weekend.

The only other stretch that is probably longer, continuously 6 lanes is probably I-95 from Petersburg VA (I-85/I-95 split) to New Haven CT (I-91/I-95 split). About 435 miles. Definitely not as many rural stretch as I-35 in Texas, though - the longest rural stretch is from Richmond to Fredericksburg VA.
Right now, of the roughly 400 miles of Interstate 85 from Coweta County GA to Durham, 330 miles or so is at least 6 lanes. The gaps at the moment..... From Commerce to Anderson SC, and from the SC/NC State line to Kings Mountain (Mile marker 10) I know NC is going to widen the 10 mile stretch from 4 to 6 lanes at Kings Mountain. I would presume Georgia and SC would widening its remaining gaps as well. I would guess within the next 10-12 years the gaps will be filled.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:54 PM

543 posts, read 559,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Only rural in spots, but Alabama's portion of I-65 is being pushed by lawmakers to get the 6-lane treatment from the Tennessee border to the Gulf coast.
The worst parts are Cullman County (between Hville and Bham), Chilton county (between Bham and Gump) and between south of Montgomery and Greenville. Oddly enough, at least from my most recent experience this week driving from Nashville to Mobile and back, the rural areas were worse than the cities. And I hit Bham during rush hour.

Granted, the absolute worst stop and go I've experienced in rural areas is the previously mentioned I-81 in Virginia. I'm not sure if it's better to get stuck in the stop and go or go in the middle night (mostly fine at night, but the accidents I've driven by at night on 81 have been more horrifying than ones I've seen elsewhere. Dunno why. Probably just anecdotal. Also one was in Maryland smashed up against a wall).

Old 07-06-2023, 02:20 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
I-5 in Oregon between Eugene and Salem is probably the worst stretch I've driven on. Been in several traffic jams out there. I feel like part of it must be that the big college towns (Eugene for UO and Corvallis for OSU) are close enough to Portland that there's a lot of traffic between them, but Bellingham to Seattle never gets like that (at least once you're outside the end of Seattle suburbia). Oregon highway speed limits are lower --- this stretch ranges from 55-65 IIRC --- which is undoubtedly adding to the congestion.

It's probably nothing compared to many Northeastern and Southern highway stretches, though.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:19 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
I-65 (and I-70) for the most part is 2 lanes each direction in Indiana. I have drove the entire route a few times back when I live in Indiana.
Indiana is currently widening both 65 and 70 in different places, with a stated goal of making the entirety of both highways 6 lanes within the state. I think 65 is much further along than 70, and who knows when/if they'll actually finish.

Old 07-06-2023, 03:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
I just thought of another one, in fact very notorious one. I haven't driven on it in the past 8 years, but it seems as if nothing has changed. I-78, eastern Pennsylvania, east of Upper Macungie Township, to Fogelsville is 2 lanes, and is concurrent with US 22. That means you have a 40 mile stretch of road that basically takes commerce right to NYC via the Holland Tunnel. To this day it pre-dates US Interstate Highway standards when it comes to off and on ramps, and can be prone to traffic jams at any time.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:15 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I just thought of another one, in fact very notorious one. I haven't driven on it in the past 8 years, but it seems as if nothing has changed. I-78, eastern Pennsylvania, east of Upper Macungie Township, to Fogelsville is 2 lanes, and is concurrent with US 22. That means you have a 40 mile stretch of road that basically takes commerce right to NYC via the Holland Tunnel. To this day it pre-dates US Interstate Highway standards when it comes to off and on ramps, and can be prone to traffic jams at any time.
Another nasty outdated stretch of road in the far outer reaches of the NYC CSA that you just reminded me of.

Old 07-09-2023, 06:59 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,205,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I20 east of Dallas is incredibly busy for as many miles of inter urban stretches it spans. I30 is also really busy for being largely out in the sticks.

Those are really the only two which stick out to me.
I agree. My hometown (Texarkana) is even expanding I-30 to 6 lanes and it's a small town. Lots of truck traffic and truck stops. I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis in the rural areas is busy as well and is expanding lanes if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:13 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
However, the southwest Ohio portion has no plans yet. Hard to believe they don't want to connect the two actually growing regions of Ohio with better highway infrastructure.
There is a section of I-71 that is 6 lanes and it’s literally in the middle of nowhere, anytime I have been on that section of I-71 there is not much traffic. They just replaced the highest bridge in the state and I don’t know for sure if it was built to accommodate 6 lanes. I got under it from the bike trail while it was still under construction and it was quite impressive to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.