Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

35,026 posts, read 57,115,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This sums up my sentiments regarding the tone of some in this thread perfectly.

The notion that driving through Wayne County, NY (where I have cousins who I'm almost positive participated in Jan 6 debauchery and who definitely have confederate flag stickers on their pickup trucks despite having northern roots that go back WELL before the civil war) would somehow be "safer" for someone from a marginalized/stigmatized group to make a pit-stop in because Manhattan and Brooklyn are within the same state boundaries is asinine.
Are you saying that a gay couple has to be careful visiting say the Finger Lakes? When I was there I certainly saw gay couples being openly affectionate. Same in Saratoga, Cooperstown, Lake George, etc.? Come on now.

Of course there are extremists in parts of New York, they are everywhere. It is a free country afterall, but the State of New York is not flirting with legislation to outlaw or limit LBGTQ+ rights.

And for the record, I never said what I’m being accused of. Go back and look at what I actually said, not what those posters keep assuming I said. It’s very different.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

35,026 posts, read 57,115,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Generalizing “the Red south” is a mistake. At least in Florida, it’s more of a libertarian state than a socially conservative one.

Overall though, places in the south intolerant of the LBGTQ community would be the exception, not the norm. It’s easy to point to the Miami’s, Atlanta’s, etc that are LBGTQ friendly, but I really can’t point to anywhere that isn’t.
Didn’t Florida’s legislature and Governor enact the “Don’t Say Gay” law?

The Human Rights Campaign has called DeSantis and Florida’s legislators among the most anti-LBGTQ+ politicians in the country. Thats what I’m talking about. You don’t see this happening in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut.

https://www.hrc.org/press-releases/g...sures-into-law

Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

6,395 posts, read 5,520,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Are you saying that a gay couple has to be careful visiting say the Finger Lakes? When I was there I certainly saw gay couples being openly affectionate. Same in Saratoga, Cooperstown, Lake George, etc.? Come on now.

Of course there are extremists in parts of New York, they are everywhere. It is a free country afterall, but the State of New York is not flirting with legislation to outlaw or limit LBGTQ+ rights.

And for the record, I never said what I’m being accused of. Go back and look at what I actually said, not what those posters keep assuming I said. It’s very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Who said “there is no tolerant place in a red state”? Thats not what I or anyone said.

But those states wouldn’t have the politics they have if that isn’t what the majority of voters put in place and support.

If the OP wants to stick to just the major cities and ignore their state’s political agenda, they will be fine. But most northerners are well educated and have care and concerns beyond just themselves. If the OP and his husband care and don’t mind being closeted when they leave urban areas, they will be fine. But if they want to be open about their relationship and love, they should consider other states.

This sure does sound like you're saying "us more educated northerners don't have as much discrimination.... more of an issue in that uneducated south"

Wake, Durham, and Orange counties in NC EACH have a higher % of population with at least a bachelor degree than ANY county in NYS that isn't Manhattan, ANY county in NJ, ANY county in PA, and... ANY county in CT.

Old Today, 08:02 AM

9,395 posts, read 9,377,964 times
Quote:

This sure does sound like you're saying "us more educated northerners don't have as much discrimination.... more of an issue in that uneducated south"

Wake, Durham, and Orange counties in NC EACH have a higher % of population with at least a bachelor degree than ANY county in NYS that isn't Manhattan, ANY county in NJ, ANY county in PA, and... ANY county in CT.
Nitpicking, but that is not entirely true.

A few counties in PA and NJ are similar or higher stats.

Orange County, NC, is the highest, but also has a fraction of the population compared to Montgomery County, PA or Bergen County, NJ.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...ania/HSG010222

I don't mean to derail into a college education convo, nor do I agree with JayCT's comment, just pointing that out.

Last edited by cpomp; Today at 08:13 AM..

Old Today, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Orange County, NC, is the highest, but also has a fraction of the population compared to Montgomery County, PA or Bergen County, NJ.

I don't mean to derail into a college education convo, nor do I agree with JayCT's comment, just pointing that out.
And Wake County is more populous than either Bergen or Montgomery and has a higher educational attainment than both.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5222#EDU685222

Old Today, 09:11 AM

93,781 posts, read 124,493,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

I haven't looked, but Tompkins County NY(Ithaca) has one of the highest educational attainments in the country, even if it is a smaller county. It does show that there are counties outside of the main city/area with high educational attainments. Albany and Monroe Counties are up there as well.

Old Today, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I haven't looked, but Tompkins County NY(Ithaca) has one of the highest educational attainments in the country, even if it is a smaller county. It does show that there are counties outside of the main city/area with high educational attainments. Albany and Monroe Counties are up there as well.
I love me some Upstate NY and have deep family roots there and was born in Monroe County... but let's look at actual quantifiable stats....

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...lina/EDU685222

The smaller "college town" counties

Tompkins County, NY
Population: 103,558
% with bachelors degree or higher: 57.5%

Orange County, NC
Population: 150,626
% with bachelors degree or higher: 61.7%

The larger "population center" counties in question.

Monroe County, NY
Population: 748,482
% with bachelors degree or higher: 40.5%

Albany County, NY
Population: 316,659
% with bachelors degree or higher: 44.4%

Durham County, NC
Population: 336,892
% with bachelors degree or higher: 51.9%

Wake County, NC
Population: 1,190,275
% with bachelors degree or higher: 55.7%

Last edited by TarHeelNick; Today at 09:40 AM..

Old Today, 09:43 AM

9,395 posts, read 9,377,964 times
Quote:
And Wake County is more populous than either Bergen or Montgomery and has a higher educational attainment than both.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5222#EDU685222
I'm aware.

I was simply critiquing your claim that Wake and Durham and Orange Counties have a higher % of residents with at least a bachelors than ALL counties in PA, NJ, NY.

Last edited by cpomp; Today at 10:22 AM..

Old Today, 10:16 AM

93,781 posts, read 124,493,435 times
Quote:
I love me some Upstate NY and have deep family roots there and was born in Monroe County... but let's look at actual quantifiable stats....

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...lina/EDU685222

The smaller "college town" counties

Tompkins County, NY
Population: 103,558
% with bachelors degree or higher: 57.5%

Orange County, NC
Population: 150,626
% with bachelors degree or higher: 61.7%

The larger "population center" counties in question.

Monroe County, NY
Population: 748,482
% with bachelors degree or higher: 40.5%

Albany County, NY
Population: 316,659
% with bachelors degree or higher: 44.4%

Durham County, NC
Population: 336,892
% with bachelors degree or higher: 51.9%

Wake County, NC
Population: 1,190,275
% with bachelors degree or higher: 55.7%
Not surprised at the county level. I think the statement for the Ithaca area is because it is a one county metro area and this information from 2021(2019 1 year information) illustrates where the claim comes from: https://www.unomaha.edu/college-of-p...etro-areas.php

If you'll notice, it has the highest educational attainment for a metro area in the East, according to that data.

More data: https://ssti.org/blog/useful-stats-e...area-2007-2017

It would also be interesting to see how many people in those NC counties come from the Northeast, given migration patterns.

Old Today, 02:59 PM

13,362 posts, read 40,032,886 times
Good grief, this thread has gone all over the place. There's enough info in here for the OP to chew on. Thread closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.