Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 9 days ago)

8,397 posts, read 5,553,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Your “lots of gays live here” comment reminds me of the well meaninged comment about Asian grocery stores existing in Mississippi. Ok?? Does that mean Mississippi is ideal for Asians?
People are happy where they are happy. The OP is extremely aware of the political climates in the states where he is saying he is interested in. You know that. He isn't blind to any of this. So why cast concerns you don't have but think he should onto him? Its one thing if he doesn't know about the politics of Texas, Florida, and North Carolina, but he damn sure does.

How about we let the OP come back and share his thoughts before you cast what you think his thoughts should be? He listed his requirements are. He gave places he likes that hes interested in. If you think hes wrong for feeling the way he does, that isnt his problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

12,889 posts, read 9,628,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
People are happy where they are happy. The OP is extremely aware of the political climates in the states where he is saying he is interested in. You know that. He isn't blind to any of this. So why caste concerns you don't have but think he should onto him? Its one thing if he doesn't know about it, but he damn sure does.
He asked for thoughts and opinions? Yes there are gay people in Vidor, Texas and Bristol, Tennessee. Does that mean it’s best for them?

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
He asked for thoughts and opinions? Yes there are gay people in Vidor, Texas and Bristol, Tennessee. Does that mean it’s best for them?
Of all the cities he listed, literally all of them are in Red States. Every single one. So I'm pretty sure he isn't looking at New York, California or Connecticut despite the fact that their HRC scores are higher.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,190,895 times
Quote:
I have gone back and forth with masssachoicetts many, many years on this forum. He used to live in Orlando. He is a very intelligent poster. I can assure you he is not blind to any of this. He is well aware of the political differences between NJ and Florida/Texas/North Carolina.

Lots of gay people live in Texas and Florida happily. That's not something you have to understand. I am a liberal as hell Satanist Arab. I am extremely happy in Houston. Moreso than Ive actually been in any other city and I grew up in the LA area. Life is complicated, its best not to cast our own concerns onto others that don't have them.

You have to also remember that they are black. He didn't pick Houston out of a hat for consideration. It is one of the most racially harmonious cities in the US bar none.
While OP might come across as intelligent and thoughtful, and I have no reason to doubt that, he's also very young and came of age after Marriage Equality became the law of the land. Pointing out things that might've slipped his attention because of his age isn't a waste of time. Since he didn't mention his race at all but lightly touched on his sexuality I'd say racial harmony is likely not a top consideration.

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

12,889 posts, read 9,628,061 times
Quote:
Of all the cities he listed, literally all of them are in Red States. Every single one. So I'm pretty sure he isn't looking at New York, California or Connecticut despite the fact that their HRC scores are higher.
He jotted down cities and asked for suggestions

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

35,019 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Quote:
I have gone back and forth with masssachoicetts many, many years on this forum. He used to live in Orlando. He is a very intelligent poster. I can assure you he is not blind to any of this. He is well aware of the political differences between NJ and Florida/Texas/North Carolina.

Lots of gay people live in Texas and Florida happily. That's not something you have to understand. I am a liberal as hell Satanist Arab. I am extremely happy in Houston. Moreso than Ive actually been in any other city and I grew up in the LA area. Life is complicated, its best not to cast our own concerns onto others that don't have them.

You have to also remember that they are black. He didn't pick Houston out of a hat for consideration. It is one of the most racially harmonious cities in the US bar none.
I never said Massachoicetts wasn’t “intelligent”, nor did I imply it.

It’s true many people will be happy in the cities he’s considering but his comment on wanting to make day trips means they will not be staying in that city ALL the time. Thats where the lack of tolerance of same sex couples must be considered.

You or I don’t know what they have or have not considered. Because he posted on the General US forum means he’s looking for other thoughts and that’s what I’ve given him. The fact that same sex marriages aren’t well received in Red Southern states should be a very serious consideration if they want to be living an open happy marriage when they move.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

35,019 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Quote:
So you know what he thinks? Are you his husband or are you clairvoyant?

The OP liked a lot about New Jersey and was looking for that in a less costly, less congested place. That is why I suggested Connecticut outside of Fairfield County. It’s very affordable and has many of the same things he and his husband are looking for. It could be a viable alternative to consider. You don’t know.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The fact that same sex marriages aren’t well received in Red Southern states should be a very serious consideration if they want to be living an open happy marriage when they move.
I mean, in the cities in Red Southern states, they are extremely well received. Yes there is some hostility in the rural areas and the state government but I doubt they would be interested in living somewhere where they wouldnt be welcomed.

Its the old argument of "there is no tolerant place in a red state because of the government of the state". For example, can we say Austin or Orlando are bad places for LGBTQ+ people simply because of the state's government? I dont think so.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

548 posts, read 269,053 times
Quote:
I mean, in the cities in Red Southern states, they are extremely well received. Yes there is some hostility in the rural areas and the state government but I doubt they would be interested in living somewhere where they wouldnt be welcomed.

Its the old argument of "there is no tolerant place in a red state because of the government of the state". So I guess we can say Austin and Orlando are bigoted towards gay people simply because of the states they happen to be in. I reject that.
https://www.kxan.com/state-of-texas/...k-for-an-exit/

Maybe not an exodus, but some Austinites are leaving.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,518,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I never said Massachoicetts wasn’t “intelligent”, nor did I imply it.

It’s true many people will be happy in the cities he’s considering but his comment on wanting to make day trips means they will not be staying in that city ALL the time. Thats where the lack of tolerance of same sex couples must be considered.

You or I don’t know what they have or have not considered. Because he posted on the General US forum means he’s looking for other thoughts and that’s what I’ve given him. The fact that same sex marriages aren’t well received in Red Southern states should be a very serious consideration if they want to be living an open happy marriage when they move.
Do you think bigotry doesn't exist in rural areas of states in the Northeast (or urban areas in any region for that matter)? Do you really think that a day trip from Raleigh or Charlotte to the Blue Ridge Mountains or NC coast puts one driving through significantly more rural/conservative areas and perceived "threats" from those areas than a day trip from the NYC metro to the Adirondacks or Finger Lakes?

Very silly.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; Yesterday at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.