Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
that's funny.....considering Quebec and Montreal and Toronto all reached their potential, and they are all colder than Buffalo, same can be said about Minnepolis....
touche! well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:53 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The thing I am wondering about some of these rustbelt or Northeast cities is that, didn't they kind of reach their potential back in the 1950's and 1960's then decline from there on? Some of those places seemed like they were great back before they started losing people and jobs. I don't really know b/c I wasn't around back then. It just seems some of these cities had their moment and reached their potential but then declined.
I think that is obvious to everyone. I just don't see a point in abandoning our own cities. I don't know that reaching their potential before, and then losing it afterwards is some kind of prohibiting factor or insult. Its not like people can just rebuild overnight, or retool what is lost sometimes. That doesn't mean they less deserving in my opinion. There wouldn't be any of the hot new cities without the backbone cities that built them up. They were polluted and abused to no end to build other cities, and they gave rise to middle class families that could build newer better cities. Now they're just nothing to no one. Now ask their inhabitants why they should care about the San Diego's of the United States if they aren't concerned with them? Place check on isle San Diego.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:54 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Yea I just noticed this recently. The Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse areas are all in a horizontal line from one another. They look fairly close on a map. From my standpoint that looks prime for new opportunity. Is the area mountainous too? Ive really never understood why New Yorkers think so little of upstate. Its a gorgeous pace with four season and mountains. Great soft natural grass, and nice lakes and camping. They need to take some money from the monopoly center NYC and hook upstate up nicely. There is a lot of quality in their smaller cities and people up there too. Then they need to help their wildlife thrive in upstate. Ive considered moving there a few times. And a lot of people don't actually mind the cold enough to be everlastingly bitter about winter. Seasons change.
I agree completely w/ your post, Upstate NY is absolutely beautiful during every season . And yes the area is mountainous, you have Aridondacks to the NE, the Finger Lakes region is mountainous, the area that kinda forms a "triangle" between Syracuse, Binghamton, and Albany, in between I-81, I-88, and I-90 is also very mountainous, it's a very beautiful area

Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
I'd like to see Detroit bounce back and become better than it was before the 50s.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
touche! well said
lol thanks.....do I win anything?? haha j/k

Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I think that is obvious to everyone. I just don't see a point in abandoning our own cities. I don't know that reaching their potential before, and then losing it afterwards is some kind of prohibiting factor or insult. Its not like people can just rebuild overnight, or retool what is lost sometimes. That doesn't mean they less deserving in my opinion. There wouldn't be any of the hot new cities without the backbone cities that built them up.

I am not saying you should abandon them at all or that they don't deserve to be reborn, they all seem like great cities that would be even better if they could get back to their glory days. I don't like how America seems to abandon it's older cities and just start new ones elsewhere w/o trying really hard to improve the existing ones. But this thread was about cities "FINALLY" reaching their potential, which to me means cities that have YET to reach it. To me sunbelt cities that are still growing up b/c they have yet to reach their full potential are ones that I think would qualify more so than older cities that have already had great times.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
you guys are right that sting of cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Maybe Niagara falls) would be amazing if they came back

Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
Yea upstate New York is awesome. It has to be. Ive never been happy about it suffering in the shadow of NYC. I used to think that was a blemish on the character of New Yorkers, and their state. Little Buffalo pumped its heart out for NYC, and a lot of other cities. There's blueberries, foxes, bear, hiking, boating, colleges, and beautiful landscapes. Tropical jungles don't even look as good as areas like upstate New York in the summer when they're fully bloomed. There is quality in small details. Its the places that have the most, and receive the most that lack the most. They're spoiled and rotten a lot of times. I'd move to upstate New York if it stayed affordable, was cleaned up, and got some love from people. As long as people were not aggressive minded. Wits are fine, gang mentality and overbearing ego's are not. I eat and serve humble pie a lot. Its part of a balanced diet.

Upstate is poetic.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Yea upstate New York is awesome. It has to be. Ive never been happy about it suffering in the shadow of NYC. I used to think that was a blemish on the character of New Yorkers, and their state. Little Buffalo pumped its heart out for NYC, and a lot of other cities. There's blueberries, foxes, bear, hiking, boating, colleges, and beautiful landscapes. Tropical jungles don't even look as good as areas like upstate New York in the summer when they're fully bloomed. There is quality in small details. Its the places that have the most, and receive the most that lack the most. They're spoiled and rotten a lot of times. I'd move to upstate New York if it stayed affordable, was cleaned up, and got some love from people. As long as people were not aggressive minded. Wits are fine, gang mentality and overbearing ego's are not. I eat and serve humble pie a lot. Its part of a balanced diet.

Upstate is poetic.
LOL, that sh*t was poetic, holmes

no but in all seriousness, yea the Upstate is very beautiful....probably my fav region in the country

Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
BALTIMORE!

It is in the middle of the corridor and has a beautiful location on the bay. Unfortunately, it is a ****hole....or so I've heard. Obviously I've never BEEN there. But I do have a friend who goes to art school and lives in a warehouse there. :\

EDIT: How do you do the skeptical smiley face with the sideways mouth?
EDIT2: start defending, Billiam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.