Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,349,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
New Bedford, Massachusetts. I'll spare the details, but I think this city is well on the way to becoming a great small city ( about 100,000 people).

As far as major cities, I'd REALLY like to see Buffalo and Detroit get there. I have a lot of love for those two cities and I really hope they leap forward soon. Cleveland is another. These cities have SOOOO much potential.
Couldn't agree with you more on everything you said here. Detroit and Buffalo have so much potential to become so great it brings tears to my eyes. Though I don't know much about New Bedford, Massachusetts, I would like to see that entire state become more of a metropolis to add to the megalopolis. Also, as well as Buffalo, Toronto, and Niagara Falls - this will become (hopefully soon), a mega-region and be part of the nation's second Megalopolis as a major boon to the Northeast and America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times
Does Buffalo have any ghetto areas?ive just never pictured it.

For me, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis, and Philly/Camden bring tears to my eyes almost because there is sooo much potential and sooooo many beautiful little architectural gems that are just screaming for a rehab!

But i feel like Buffalo is pretty well off, just a bit economically depressed. Is my impression wrong? ive never been there before and don't know too much about it

Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM

142 posts, read 358,418 times
Default how about Washington D.C.

I would like to see Washington D.C. reach its potential - and I mean Washington D.C. as in the federal government. Secondly, I'm all for the city and the citizens of the city to do well too.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 AM

717 posts, read 2,809,546 times
Default New orleans--the city that refused to die!

New Orleans is the first city that comes to mind---It is enchantingly beautiful and unique. It has a soul that refused to die--and it will come back.

It's location at the mouth of the mighty Mississippi & the Gulf of Mexico make it invaluable as a shipping port which can carry cargo straight up thru the heart of the USA

Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,349,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Does Buffalo have any ghetto areas?ive just never pictured it.

For me, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis, and Philly/Camden bring tears to my eyes almost because there is sooo much potential and sooooo many beautiful little architectural gems that are just screaming for a rehab!

But i feel like Buffalo is pretty well off, just a bit economically depressed. Is my impression wrong? ive never been there before and don't know too much about it
Well, I can tell you have never been here. Sadly, Buffalo is second only to Detroit for some of the worst ghettos, somewhat high crime, and full of abandoned buildings (second most in US behind only New Orleans, and we weren't even hit with a natural disaster!).

But, things are coming around for this once 6th largest city in America, construction is popping buildings up for the first time in 4 decades, 5,000+ people have moved into the downtown core in the past 9 years or so, and even though we lost well over half of our population in the past 50 years, and lost 2 major league sports teams, we have finally bottomed out. And ever since the new millennium, this city is climbing up the steps of the potential-that-is-becoming reality ladder.

A state-of-the-art Medical Campus is rapidly growing as one of the fastest Medical Corridors in the Nation. We have kept two of our major league sports, and we won't let them go anytime soon! We are a food city, a city of festivals, a sports city, a Lakefront city, and we are a city located just a 15-minute drive to one of the seven wonders of the world, Niagara Falls!

I'm a proud Buffalonian for life, and I am blessed to live at this time of its overwhelming potential. Go Buffalo!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,986 times
Newark, NJ (and surrounding areas that it encompases).

That city as SO much potential. It has the ability to be a second New York (like Philadelphia) on the East Coast (but predominantly black entrupreneur ship like Atlanta), however years of urban neglect, decay and racial injustice have all destroyed this once fastest growing U.S. city right at the peak of it's growth and I would LOVE to see it come back to it's former glory and surpass it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.