Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S lowering the age limit back to 18 for drinking alcohol?
Yes, lower it to 18! 198 60.92%
No, keep it 21 as it is now 112 34.46%
I don't know/care 15 4.62%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I'm just curious as to why (And you answered it in your 3 points) it's such a big deal for those who are under 21? Because you could get into trouble? The crime is minimal, often less harsh than a seatbelt ticket (At least here in MN). before I was 21, we partied (Yeah, big time) But I never whined "Wah, I wish this was LEGAL!"... The only hinderance it was was not being able to go into bars. Which wasn't even that big of a deal.

It's illegal to be drunk in public - IF YOU CAUSE THE SCENE. It's very easy to hide being drunk.
The portion in bold is precisely why even many adults recognize that our entire cultural attitude toward alcohol -- including the asinine drinking age -- needs to change. When teenagers -- anyone really, but especially teenagers -- see alcohol as a party substance rather than a normal part of day-to-day life, that's when it's consumed in dangerous quantities and leads to bad behavior and bad decision-making. This is especially problematic when there is no adult supervision around, which is frequently the case when teenagers consume alcohol since the law strongly encourages them to do it surreptitiously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The portion in bold is precisely why even many adults recognize that our entire cultural attitude toward alcohol -- including the asinine drinking age -- needs to change. When teenagers -- anyone really, but especially teenagers -- see alcohol as a party substance rather than a normal part of day-to-day life, that's when it's consumed in dangerous quantities and leads to bad behavior and bad decision-making. This is especially problematic when there is no adult supervision around, which is frequently the case when teenagers consume alcohol since the law strongly encourages them to do it surreptitiously.

I disagree. Whether it's inside a private place or public place, the immaturity alone will cause individuals to act that way. That's why it's a law not to consume before 21. 18 Yr olds are babies. Especially in the US. The law isn't really designed to prevent kids under age 21 from drinking in private, or for recreation. It's not like there is a 'underage drinking police' that goes around looking for kids drinking (ok, I know they do in College towns, but come on what do you expect). Most of the time it's kids acting asinine in public that gets them into trouble. Last time I checked, bars were more public than the privacy of the home. It's socially accepted by most adults because A) Adults are of age B) Adults have experienced the age 21 change (or 18,19 previous laws) and realized the little difference it had C) Remember being part of that 'taboo' of underage drinking that is frowned upon by so many hypocrites who had some of the best times of their lives living that 'taboo'.

I was a 'partier' in high school, probably 11th and 12th grade. I did the dorms thing, and lived in a 6 bedroom college house, and have experienced the 'bar' scene. Now, drinking has become less about 'getting close to girls, doing dumb stuff, havin' a good time, celebratin', and getting wasted and has become more of a social thing - 'drinks after work, happy hours or with dinners - all usually in public places. Sure I keep a fridge with beer in it, but it lasts forever. Looking back, I never wanted to be 21 that bad because drinking was about house parties, beer pong, this that and the other thing, and not going to a bar and spending money. NOT being 21 played no role in my life OTHER than not being able to GO to bars.

But it's interesting that you say that because I think had been accepted much earlier in life in the USA than now - 12, 13, 14 yrs old, 18, 19, 20 yr old kids would be able to go out in public, drink, and handle themselves appropriately. But right now, if 18 or 19 yr olds were to go out

Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 AM

18-year-olds in the U.S. are babies because we treat them like babies. Such as forbidding them from touching alcohol until they turn 21. When you don't expect people to grow up until they're in their 20s -- surprise, they don't. And then many of them still don't once they get there because we barely start expecting them to assume adult habits, behaviors and responsibilities until they've already reached adulthood. Like I said upthread, it's a circular argument to treat teenagers like children and then use the predictably resultant child-like behavior as an excuse to continue treating them like children.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
18-year-olds in the U.S. are babies because we treat them like babies. Such as forbidding them from touching alcohol until they turn 21. When you don't expect people to grow up until they're in their 20s -- surprise, they don't. And then many of them still don't once they get there because we barely start expecting them to assume adult habits, behaviors and responsibilities until they've already reached adulthood. Like I said upthread, it's a circular argument to treat teenagers like children and then use the predictably resultant child-like behavior as an excuse to continue treating them like children.

Not legally being able to consume alcohol until age 21 has NOTHING to do with the immaturity of our society and the babying of our youth.

It's all the ticky-tacky BS that our culuture puts them through. We give kids a mile when we should be giving them an inch and it has babied them up. Kids are running around at age 12 with cell phones, obsessed with pop culuture.

I agree with much of what you posted, but I wouldn't blame it on not being able to drink til 21.

I think we all need to start making our youth be more accountable. Every little thing has an excuse - They had a rough childhood, they don't live in a diverse neighborhood, they grew up without a dad, they have ADD, they are too sensitive, blah blah blah.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 AM

I didn't blame it on not being able to drink until 21, I said that's part of the bigger picture of babying our youth and then expecting them to magically become adults some day. If you want to start making our youth more accountable, you need to give them more to be accountable for.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I didn't blame it on not being able to drink until 21, I said that's part of the bigger picture of babying our youth and then expecting them to magically become adults some day. If you want to start making our youth more accountable, you need to give them more to be accountable for.

Hmm, interesting. I see your point. You make it more clear in this post. I think it's tough to call. I think changing it from 19 to 21 a few decades ago was a bad call.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
The irresponsible people that drink aren't going to wait until they are 21 anyways. That being said, keep it at 21. If someone is going to drink, the law isn't going to stop them.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:42 PM

118 posts, read 139,200 times
The very fact we're having this argument shows just how ridiculous American's view alcohol. America has the most strict alcohol laws outside the Muslim world, the very fact it feels it can deny legal adults the right to buy, purchase. or consume a beer is sometimes mind boggling when I stop to think about it.

What is more absurd is when you stop to think about the values this country was founded on. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The government infringing on the citizen's right to put whatever they want in their body is nothing more than big, nanny-government and against the original principles of this country. Why so-called conservatives would trip over their dicks to expand the government in this way doesn't make sense-wait it does, they are more puritanical nut jobs than conservatives of the founding principles of this country.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Who cares, booze sucks anyways, light up them jays.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Other than the experiment with lowered drinking ages in the 1970s, drinking ages have been 21 in most places since the lifting of prohibition. Like prohibition the drinking age has been consistently violated since the laws were first put on the books. Most of us could say our grandparents broke the drinking age laws, as did our parents, ourselves and now our children break them. No one has EVER respected these laws. I do not support a drunken society, or children drinking, but obvioulsy these laws have never had the consent of the public. I think its time for them to be rethought. I support a 18 or 19 year old drinking age, as that would keep it out of the high schools, but allow those who are going to drink anyway to do it without all the useless sneaking around. We have thrown out stupid laws before that people refused to obey. I remember having to drive 55 on the interstate, but finaly good sense prevailed and now most states allow 70 on interstates. Laws only have meaning if the public supports them and their enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.