Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 04:49 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teotwawki View Post
If these people truly had "close gay friends", then they wouldn't be against gay marriage. That's a rationalization and everybody knows it. Ask those "close gay friends" how THEY feel about being denied marriage; I'd guess a lot of them will rethink their friendships.

That's like bragging how much you LOVE your slaves, and your slaves LOVE you!

TOTAL B.S., and we need to start calling these people on it. Like the old saying- "with friends like you, who needs enemies".
Well if some ppl view it as a sin then that's their view. Im not gonna judge them for that. It's like how some ppl are against alcohol, but they still have friends that drink alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM

8,617 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
how can anyone not be fond of the Gays? We cut your hair, clean up your neighborhoods, teach you how to cook, how to dress, interior design your homes and most importantly a built in best friend for your wives when she nags too much! Lots of good qualitys in the Mo's.... lol

Lets face it, life would be boring w/o the Gays.
Wrong.

The Lesbians go in and clean up the neighborhoods. THEN the Gays move in and rebuild.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Wrong.

The Lesbians go in and clean up the neighborhoods. THEN the Gays move in and rebuild.
WRONG! prime example South End Boston.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:41 PM

8,617 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
WRONG! prime example South End Boston.
That may be one of few exceptions, as South End attracted gay men all the way back during the '40's, but keep in mind that even then, lesbians also moved into the area (although not to the same degree).

Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,231 times
The Us should recognize same sex marriage just like it recognizes Man and wife marriage!! It should be a federal mandate for every state. I have my own religous beliefs about this but fair is fair and I would never push my religous beliefs onto the world. President needs to get on the ball...

Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teotwawki View Post
If these people truly had "close gay friends", then they wouldn't be against gay marriage. That's a rationalization and everybody knows it. Ask those "close gay friends" how THEY feel about being denied marriage; I'd guess a lot of them will rethink their friendships.

That's like bragging how much you LOVE your slaves, and your slaves LOVE you!

TOTAL B.S., and we need to start calling these people on it. Like the old saying- "with friends like you, who needs enemies".
Thats not a fair example IMO. But I respect people as people. I have had gay friends and they just wanna live the american dream just like straight folk. And I'm so disgusted and disappointed in us as americans for dropping the ball again with another minority group. I in NO way compare what us as black people went through to what gays are going through because that would be imprecise on my part. I just don't see how giving gays rights will hurt. All it hurts is human rights!!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
The Us should recognize same sex marriage just like it recognizes Man and wife marriage!! It should be a federal mandate for every state. I have my own religous beliefs about this but fair is fair and I would never push my religous beliefs onto the world. President needs to get on the ball...

But marriage is rooted in religion. So why would a religious institution recognize gay marriage?

I suppose civil unions would be appropriate.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Generally speaking, people start to ignore one social issue once something the conservative folks think is worse comes up.

Example: At one time, it wasn't even considered that you would marry outside your religion. I mean, a Catholic marry a Jew? NOOOOO way. A Christian marry a Hindu? It would literally tear up families and create rifts between parent and child. Then, slowly, integration happened - and (gasp), black people started interacting with whites. Then (gasp again), they started DATING. Suddenly, it was ok for (white) Jews and (white) Catholics to date. Something worse was on the horizon...

Next, it was almost inconceivable in many areas of the U.S. that a black man would dare marry a white woman (or vice-versa). Those of us old enough remember the reactions, even in many larger cities, when a mixed couple would walk down the street, or place an ad in the papers for marriage. Scandal! But if you also remember, gays were in the closet for the most part, and never really discussed in the general populace except for perhaps San Francisco and literally JUST that city.

Then, slowly, people started openly talking about gays. Gays dating each other. Gays moving in with each other. Then TV sitcoms actually had gay characters in them. Then, they talked about ... (suspenseful duhduhduhhhhhh... getting married). Well, the more conservative and even not-so conservative crowds at this point, decided that the gays were more of a scandal than mixed couples. The black/white couples got off the hook, and now, gays get the rap.

So, it's all relative. Until something conservative folks see as "worse" comes along, gays are gonna get the rap. You need to pray, that green Martian woman with three breasts land in ships, and start to mate with American males. Then, and only the, will people lay off the gays for the "greater threat to the American way of life". Hey, really - that's the way it works.
I think you pretty much ignore the fact that pretty much every culture in the world is anti gay.

I am not saying this to be funny or prejudicial. But most ethnic groups and religions across the globe have a fundamental disagreement with the gay lifestyle.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
But marriage is rooted in religion. So why would a religious institution recognize gay marriage?

The United Church of Christ:

Quote:
The United Church of Christ became the first mainline Christian denomination to support same-sex marriage officially when its general synod passed a resolution on Monday affirming "equal marriage rights for couples regardless of gender."
Unitarian Universalists also support same-sex marriage.

Marriage is already like a civil union. No church has to marry a couple if they don't want to, this applies to same-sex and opposite sex couples.
No priest, rabbi,pastor, minister, or other religious leader has to sign a marriage contract in order for the marriage to be legal nor does a couple have to be married in a church for their marriage to be legal.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post

then your marriage should be recognized as strictly a civil union as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.