Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 AM

65 posts, read 147,194 times

Advertisements

I have been television-free for almost five years; it does wonders for developing critical thinking skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It just isn't the same. Sorry. When you deal with children 24/7, then we'll talk.

Here's a great idea for your research. Take a group of kids and let them watch television like the kind I describe for a couple of weeks. Observe how they interact with one another. Record the sarcasm and cutting remarks.

Now, take a different group of kids, and don't let them watch television. I will bet the farm that they will interact much more nicely. Because we've seen the effect when we curtailed television viewing in our own household.
Are you there honestly 24/7. So you don't work? I'm the guy you call. I'm with kids about 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week. More than MANY people who post here. The initial post was that TV has gotten worse. I pointed out 1950 ads on the Flinstones for cigarettes. Tom and Jerry dropping anvils on each other, or Felix the Cat sarcasm. Plus, isn't it up to whoever takes care of the child (be it parent, childcare provider, etc.) to teach reality vs. fiction? I have to with my kids...otherwise I'm out of a job. Also studies indicate that parental prompting (teaching fiction vs. reality) is a larger indicator on whether or not they will have less desirable social skills.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Are you there honestly 24/7. So you don't work? I'm the guy you call. I'm with kids about 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week. More than MANY people who post here. The initial post was that TV has gotten worse. I pointed out 1950 ads on the Flinstones for cigarettes. Tom and Jerry dropping anvils on each other, or Felix the Cat sarcasm. Plus, isn't it up to whoever takes care of the child (be it parent, childcare provider, etc.) to teach reality vs. fiction? I have to with my kids...otherwise I'm out of a job. Also studies indicate that parental prompting (teaching fiction vs. reality) is a larger indicator on whether or not they will have less desirable social skills.
Actually, I work out of the house. So when they're there, I'm there. I think the equivalency you draw between a Disney Channel sitcom and a Tom&Jerry cartoon is spurious, for there's an enormous intuitive difference between what happens in a cartoon, where animated, talking creatures routinely defy the laws of physics, and what happens on a sit-com where attractive, living pre-teens have actual conversations on-camera.

A cartoon, by the medium, implies events apart from reality. So while Wile-E-Coyote might fall off a cliff and then dust himself off for yet another go at capturing the RoadRunner, no child in his right mind would ever believe that that would happen in real life. On the other hand, a sit-com shot on film or videotape does not insert that barrier between itself and the viewer. Because these are real living, breathing actors, the viewer believes this is how real living, breathing human beings are supposed to interact. I'm not sure why this is a hard concept to grasp.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Little kids don't know reality from fiction. Hence why kids are actually MORE likely to copy a cartoon. They are stimulated from the bright colors of cartoons, but less so from a Disney Channel sitcom. This has been documented. I had to do a little research before going to my client. Little kids have little to no concepts of physics. This is why peek-a-boo is popular. The concept of consistency. This is also why it is normal for 5-6 year olds to assume a taller container always holds more volume than a fatter container when in reality it depends. Pre-teens yeah, okay, you got a point. Little kids not so much. It depends on the age. Also, still the parental prompting is a factor. Regardless of time period this method always needs to be implemented. This allows TV to be enjoyable and not aversive to you. Way too many child psychology courses, I apologize.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:06 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think it's b/c it's "cool" to be a "bee-yowtch." It's "assertive" and "tough" to behave like that. I don't know when we decided that as a society, but that message is all over tv all the time.
The unfortunate thing about today's society is that you have to be like that, or an a-hole if you're a male. Otherwise, people will walk all over you.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:06 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The unfortunate thing about today's society is that you have to be like that, or an a-hole if you're a male. Otherwise, people will walk all over you.
You sure got that right!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,785 times
I feel that people are getting meaner. You can't even go in a restaurant and get all kinds of nasty mean looks as soon as you walk in. Sure you can say, aww they don't do that but not all places but most... just try casually looking around as soon as you walk in just mean nasty comments or looks. It didn't used to be that way. No one opens doors hardly for women anymore. People hate themselves more and where they are at in this mean society we are in. Makes you want to stay home and watch a movie and not even go out. I used to like shopping or going places, not anymore. I hate it. Course I live in a hillbilly hick town called Knoxville, TN so go figure they were mean to start with and now with the economy they are 100 times meaner. Fake niceness if you are going to spend some money in thier store but mean when you work around them or try to be freinds. Mean, gossipy, fake, rotten, drama, and backstabbing hicks so it is worse here.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,785 times
Amen to that!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:39 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
People are under more stress than ever.
Worrying about how they look is more important than how they act.

I wouldn't say it's the vast majority, but with all the social networks on the internet people are overly exposing themselves to way too many people. A lot of kids with FB's have 500+ friends- I highly doubt they know 450 of them on personal level, but they're ok with people creeping through their albums, comments, personal info, etc. -- Lots of drama.

Another thing that seems to be in style is "Haters"- The more haters you have, the more popular you are- being overly exposed causes this to an extent.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
One trend that I have seen is people becoming less tolerant of people who are different from them. This is especially true for race, ethnicity, religion, or political ideology. I think the only group that is becoming more tolerated at this point might be sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.