Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:43 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times

Advertisements

Ideal: Boston or New York
Bad: Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:16 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
ideal: san diego

not good: anywhere that is too humid, anywhere that gets too cold, anywhere it rains too much and anywhere it is too dry.

sooo.... everywhere that is not san diego or the southern west coast.
San Diego only gets 2 more inches of rain a year than Phoenix. It also does not rain in San Diego from April-November.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:17 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,752 times
Ideal: Phoenix, Las Vegas, Palm Springs

Worst: Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Cleveland

Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Hmmm. It is December 7, and Duluth is 3 degrees right now while Miami is a nice comfortable 70 degrees.

I still love Duluth, but wish I was in Miami today!
Everyone has different tastes . I love cold/snowy weather and those 3 degrees sounds good to me!! Plus you have the best summers in the U.S . The weather here in miami bores the crap out of me.......

You realize in 5 months in Duluth it'll be a nice, 60 degrees and here it'll be like 92 degrees with 50-60% humidity right??? Like Steve-o said, there's weather in summer as well.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:24 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
I really think the Midwest is the ideal climate for me. All four seasons, the weather is always interesting around here. For me, a bad climate would have to be anywhere in the South or Southwest or along the Pacific Coast....very mild winters, brutally hot summers, and in some cases, for cities like Seattle and San Francisco, a mild climate in every single season...for me, a place that hardly ever sees snow is just not a place I would call interesting.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Everyone has different tastes . I love cold/snowy weather and those 3 degrees sounds good to me!! Plus you have the best summers in the U.S . The weather here in miami bores the crap out of me.......

You realize in 5 months in Duluth it'll be a nice, 60 degrees and here it'll be like 92 degrees with 50-60% humidity right??? Like Steve-o said, there's weather in summer as well.
Yes, five months of winter, but you are right; our summers are great and I have been in the deep south with your 50% humidity-no thanks, which is why I still live here! Come on back if you can!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
For me the worst is certainly hot climates. I can deal much better warming my body up than trying to cool it off when I'm outside.

I think Chicago is good, it rarely gets above 90 in the summer, and is between 50 and 85 for 7-8 months a year. Not ideal though.

The only obvious thing I don't like about Chicago weather is the 3-4 weeks or so a year where the temp drops below 15 degrees. Most of winter is fine by me when it's between 25 and 45. I'd get so bored with LA or the west coast. I need my snow and seasons.

Ideal would probably be something like Denver or New York City. Their winters are better, but they don't see weeks and weeks on end of really high temps. I was surprised how HOT Washington DC gets during the summer. I like their winters though.

Phoenix was a killer for me, and the humidity in Florida or the deep south would not sit well either.

Of course most people are opposite and hate the winters in Chicago. I'm right along there with them, but at least March through November are totally do-able.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
ideal: san diego

not good: anywhere that is too humid, anywhere that gets too cold, anywhere it rains too much and anywhere it is too dry.

sooo.... everywhere that is not san diego or the southern west coast.
SoCal is VERY dry, dont kid yourself. Im surprised the ridiculous forest fires there every year dont remind you of that? And San Diego would be considered humid to people from Vegas and Phoenix.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:34 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,455 times
Wow another subjective weather thread.
Well you know what they say opinions are like a-holes
every one has one..so IMHO I'd like to comment on
places I have actually lived, not just visited.
I really believe folk can have a knee jerk reaction
to weather or worse a preconceived opinion.

Southern California - San Diego and Riverside Co.
On average Riverside Co is hotter and more polluted.
Winters are great and summers are hot and dry -
unless within the marine influence.
Santa Ana's are nice in the winter but suck ass in the summer.
All in all I rate the weather as favorable.

Western Washington - Vancouver & Seattle area
Highly underrated due to rain haters. The funny thing
is, half the time when they forecast rain it doesn't.
Personally I love the environment that's due to the moderate
and moist air. The summers are simply the best in the country,
sunny, long, warm and dry. Fall in Seattle has cooler weather
and warm colors ( lots of trees ) the foliage is surprisingly beautiful.
Winter is wet and gloomy with an occasional snow and sun break.
Fortunately the temperatures are moderate with enough dry days
to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Folk bike and golf year round.
Spring is colorful and welcome although it is green here year round.
I rate the NW as favorable.

Now for Chicago and Northern IL.
Overall favorable.
In my thirty-something years of living here I would estimate
that more than 1/2 of them are pleasant enough.
Even in the winter the weather can be rarely nice.
Unfortunately when the weather is bad - like numbingly cold
or unbearably hot & humid - it's really bad. Fortunately this
makes up less than 10% of the overall weather.

So I guess they all three get a favorable rating in this order.

1. Coastal SoCal
2. Seattle
3. Inland SoCal
4. Chicago

Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Good - Denver - 4 seasons, dry, relatively mild (rarely overly hot or overly cold - at least for very long).
Bad - Miami/Houston anywhere it's hot and humid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.