Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
I have to disagree with you on that one. I bet more southerners know who their ancestors were than northerners. Personally, I have traced back to the 1600s-1700s on most braches of my family. I think it may be easier for us to do that since our families have lived here for so long.
Perhaps but for example I know my Grandparents came from Italy/Germany respectively. When I ask most Southerners their nationality they respond by saying white...lol I think its because there blood is so mixed over the generations....thats not a bad thing. Anyone could figure out their roots though with a bit of research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM

114 posts, read 207,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Perhaps but for example I know my Grandparents came from Italy/Germany respectively. When I ask most Southerners their nationality they respond by saying white...lol I think its because there blood is so mixed over the generations....thats not a bad thing. Anyone could figure out their roots though with a bit of research.

Most southerners, if asked what nationality they are, will respond American. We have no need to say Italian-American, German-American, etc… I have never heard of one of us responding white if asked about nationality. Most southerners also know what countries our ancestors originally came from.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 PM

193 posts, read 482,026 times
Well I am a northerner moving south and my reasons are most peoples reasons. The cost of living is a bit lower (and in my profession, this will not affect my personal income- it will be consistent as it was in the north), the economy is doing well in the south, the weather is more my cup of tea, and I like the lifestyle that is a bit more laid back. I find in some ways the south to be more family friendly and while I don't have a family now, I will in the future.

Also, I think some people just want a change of pace. I know of many southerners wanting to try out California or some of the northern cities- NYC and Chicago- just as I know of many northerners wanting to try out the south. I know for me, I would like to experience living in a new part of the country. I don't think there's anything wrong with that reason either.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Personally I'd go just to escape the stress and rat race of the north.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:37 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
^There are areas of the north that arn't a "rat race" you know. People in Philly never realize that there are many, many other places in the N.E. besides Philly.

Alot of the north is also nice and calm.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
^There are areas of the north that arn't a "rat race" you know. People in Philly never realize that there are many, many other places in the N.E. besides Philly.

Alot of the north is also nice and calm.
I'm not your typical oblivious person from Philly...I've lived most of my life in the northeast and overall...it's a rat race

Old 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM

114 posts, read 207,560 times
Fwiw, I would highly recommend to anyone thinking of moving south to already have a job lined up before you get here. There may be more jobs than the north but there is also a lot of competition for many of them. Depending on location and industry, it may be difficult to obtain employment.

I think the idea that the south is doing well economically may be outdated. According to this site, most of the region is either in recession or at risk of being in one.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Quote:
Most southerners, if asked what nationality they are, will respond American. We have no need to say Italian-American, German-American, etc… I have never heard of one of us responding white if asked about nationality. Most southerners also know what countries our ancestors originally came from.

Understood, my exeperience has been different though from the time I spent down south.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:39 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
People go where the jobs are

Second that, I was relocated to Atlanta due to this. My whole company moved out of New Jersey, which was a sad day for my family. With 20 years I could not just drop and go, but go with the flow.

Until the Northern States bring "Right to Work" into law and loses the Union mentality, the Rust Belt will continue to get larger. Heck, even with the slow economy KIA is building a new plant in Georgia, offering full benefits, good pay, etc. Even many American companies are closing northern offices and moving to Alabama of all places. They build new, bring the jobs down, or hire direct, yet offer the same packages as up north. The benefit, No UAW.

I for one miss Jersey and I'm a WV native. I wish things would head back too, but the overall mentality needs to change for that to happen. Fingers crossed
I agree that a lot of manufacturing companies relocate there do to right to work, but the south mostly gives out the most generous tax abatements too.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
True.

You have to visit to see that our outer suburbs may be without culture, history, pwerful schools, interesting architecture, etc. -- but if you visit central Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans, etc you will find quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.