Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

steve-o I hardly think you can call Dallas unmotivated. It's too motivated for most. Of course there is a lot of debate about whether Texas is southern or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 01:31 AM

303 posts, read 846,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I consider "Right to work" one of the worst programs there is! When I worked in cargo at the Atlanta airport, many employees from NYC and Chicago who moved down for work complained about how much worse it was for them with no Unions. Up there, they had set work hours, in Atlanta you worked as long as the boss wanted you to, and with very little in terms of rights. Since there was no real Union protection, the management could get away with making the employees do almost anything in order to keep there jobs! I would take a Union state over a "Right to work" state anyday!
Me too!!!!!!!!!! My boyfriend did manage to find a decent job here in Texas, but less than a month later he was fired just because he has Asperger's Syndrome.

Last edited by CalGal953; 12-18-2008 at 01:39 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 AM

303 posts, read 846,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
Fwiw, I would highly recommend to anyone thinking of moving south to already have a job lined up before you get here. There may be more jobs than the north but there is also a lot of competition for many of them. Depending on location and industry, it may be difficult to obtain employment.

I think the idea that the south is doing well economically may be outdated. According to this site, most of the region is either in recession or at risk of being in one.
Quote:
Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX Metropolitan Division - At Risk
Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Division - At Risk
Ah, that explains why my boyfriend and I are having difficulty finding decent work here.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
Ah, that explains why my boyfriend and I are having difficulty finding decent work here.
If DFW is not in a recession, it is news to me. I sell Hondas. Of all the cars on the market today, one of the better bets. Sales are in half since September, not only at my dealership, but all of the DFW dealerships.

If we were doing so well, people would still be buying cars.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:16 AM

54 posts, read 97,214 times
I am looking to move to the South for two reasons: 1. the climate. I'm tired of having to dig my car out of those high snowbanks every single winter and driving through all the slushy snow not to mention the crazy drivers who seem to think they can drive the same speed limit as when the roads are clear & dry. 2. The South seems more laid back and things seem to move at a slower pace, which is a plus to me. I'm not sure how true this theory is but it just seems that way to me. If I'm wrong, let me know...would love to get some feedback from a few Southerners.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:30 PM

30 posts, read 55,332 times
Actually there are 3 months out the year that I hate Michigan and wish to move the rest are tolerable but ask me any time in Dec Jan and Feb and Ill tell ya I want to move south actually not even that far south just south enough Lake Effect Snow isnt heard on the forecast... =)

Old 03-21-2009, 02:55 PM

62 posts, read 173,873 times
I'm from Tx and it has a lower cost of living a 3 bedroom house can be rented for for less than $400, in the south we have good Southern food along with different cultures and the people are not hard to get along with.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimpelss View Post
I'm from Tx and it has a lower cost of living a 3 bedroom house can be rented for for less than $400, in the south we have good Southern food along with different cultures and the people are not hard to get along with.

wow, less than $400?? 3 bedroom rentals in my area are around $2000. But it's worth it for what you get in the area.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:04 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Climate, job and other life opportunities (much less emphasis on how much money you have now, whether your family has money or is upper-class, which private school or Ivy League university you went to). For 200+ years, Americans have been leaving the Eastern seaboard to make or remake their lives, and that's still the case today. For a lot of people, that's more important than culture or interesting architecture.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:55 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Climate, job and other life opportunities (much less emphasis on how much money you have now, whether your family has money or is upper-class, which private school or Ivy League university you went to). For 200+ years, Americans have been leaving the Eastern seaboard to make or remake their lives, and that's still the case today. For a lot of people, that's more important than culture or interesting architecture.
Wow, another sweeping set of stereotypes and generalizations. I bet you have never even been to many areas of the eastern US. Once you leave the immediate coastal areas the population density thins out significantly and you are in the Appalachians. Where I live, people don't care what school you went to that much. We value community, sustainable development, good schools, a diversified economy, and keeping taxes low. We also hold a very high value on active recreation activities as well as passive recreation.
In all honesty, it is rather annoying when the populace in general makes sweeping remarks without supplying personal accounts of such generalities.

The general closed-minded attitude in the lower Midwest as well as a lack of good jobs in my career field made me quickly realize that I would have to move. I never go back to the Plains unless it is to visit family a couple times a year. I like living in the Appalachians in NH just fine and I much prefer the slower pace of life along with a moderate cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.