Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times

Advertisements

I have to say Maryland probably has it even worse than Virginia.

Southern Maryland is more different from Northern Maryland than Richmond is from NOVA

I know a girl who grew up on a tobacco farm in La Plata Maryland. She is very much a Southern gal. She gets very very upset if anyone calls Maryland a NE state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Whoever said Cincinnati is in a region more South than North, I just disagree strongly. Cincinnati and the immediately surrounding areas of Indiana and Kentucky and Ohio overall identify more as Midwestern. Cincinnati has more in common with St. Louis than with Louisville. Parts of Southern Ohio below Highway 50 and east of Cincinnati, however, I might be willing to reconsider, especially in the Appalachian parts of Ohio.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I have to say Maryland probably has it even worse than Virginia.

Southern Maryland is more different from Northern Maryland than Richmond is from NOVA

I know a girl who grew up on a tobacco farm in La Plata Maryland. She is very much a Southern gal. She gets very very upset if anyone calls Maryland a NE state.
To me, Southern Maryland below D.C. and Annapolis is as different from the rest of Maryland as the Missouri bootheel is from the rest of the state. So yes, I would be willing to agree that southernmost part of Maryland is more southern than mid-atlantic.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM

142 posts, read 406,647 times
Maryland...is it north or south? I think of Maryland as north...part of the Mid Atlantic. I dont really see much southern influence in MD.

Northern WV.... so much like Western PA and Eastern OH. The panhandle goes inbetween PA and OH...cant really consider that south. The economy was heavy on industry, steel, and coal. The weather is cold and snowy. Cant really call the northern part of WV the south.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
Maryland...is it north or south? I think of Maryland as north...part of the Mid Atlantic. I dont really see much southern influence in MD.

Northern WV.... so much like Western PA and Eastern OH. The panhandle goes inbetween PA and OH...cant really consider that south. The economy was heavy on industry, steel, and coal. The weather is cold and snowy. Cant really call the northern part of WV the south.
Once again, the term Mid-Atlantic is misused.

The Mid-Atlantic is not an extension of the NE. It is simply Mid-Atlantic.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:49 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
[quote=Kali's Grandma;7594438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
My guess is that most Floridians consider their state to be a southern state. Its the folks in the other southern states who have trouble placing Florida lol!

QUOTE]

Your guess is only partially correct. From Orlando down, it's a pretty well known joke that you have to go north to get to the south.

Nobody can truly say that the entire state of Florida is Southern. They only have to go to SW Florida to see that it's not even close to being true.

People say Florida has a lack of culture...that's mainly cuz they don't look. Part of the problems there are so many cultures here that it's hard to identify with just one.
Why does everyone always assume that there is a magic line around Orlando that divides Florida into a Southern half and a non-Southern half.... interior Southern Florida is pretty southern even if it is south of that line.

Hendry, Hardee, Glades counties..... which are all south of orlando are a lot more southern than palm coast which is north of orlando.

Yea SW Florida has a lot of tranpslants and retirees...... but this is still LEE county, named after Robert E. Lee ( by the way Lee's birthday is a state holiday in FL). I'll consider this part of FL to be at least partially Southern until the day that the residents follow the footsteps of Miami residents and change the county name to a non-Southern name. That will also be the day I leave.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Florida, for the most part, is not southern, it's actually south of the south. North Florida is southern, but the rest of the state has lost it's southern character. I would put Florida in a different region, the Tropics, with Hawaii, which is the state probably most similar to today's Florida.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:01 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
[quote=th3vault;7596533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post

Why does everyone always assume that there is a magic line around Orlando that divides Florida into a Southern half and a non-Southern half.... interior Southern Florida is pretty southern even if it is south of that line.

Hendry, Hardee, Glades counties..... which are all south of orlando are a lot more southern than palm coast which is north of orlando.

Yea SW Florida has a lot of tranpslants and retirees...... but this is still LEE county, named after Robert E. Lee ( by the way Lee's birthday is a state holiday in FL). I'll consider this part of FL to be at least partially Southern until the day that the residents follow the footsteps of Miami residents and change the county name to a non-Southern name. That will also be the day I leave.

Everyone doesn't. It's called a generalization.
Actually after I wrote that I thought of Okeechobee area. But for the most part, South Florida has lost a lot of it's Southern ways. Sad but true.
We could sit here all day and pick about every single city in the state and the generalization would still be true.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
My guess is that most Floridians consider their state to be a southern state. Its the folks in the other southern states who have trouble placing Florida lol!

It would seem to me from reading posts on CD that Maryland, West Virginia, Texas, WDC and Oklahoma (?) have at least some of their people who are divided of what region their state is in.
>>>>>
Texas, WDC and Oklahoma
<<<<<

For Texas and Oklahoma, the transplants would be the only ones who were regionally confused. All Okies and Texans that I know consider themselves decidedly Southern. (because of speech, food, religion, overall culture, etc.)

Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I say Virginia. We were once a very Southern state. Now people try to put as Mid-Atlantic or even Northeast!
Because the national media is in DC, they think Northern Virginia is the extent of Virginia because that's where they live and that's where all of their friends live. I bet half of them haven't even seen the rest of Virginia. Point is, they are defining your culture to people outside of the state and it's skewed. It's not necessarily the reality of it. It's just like the people in upstate NY. The national media is in NYC and so everyone outside of NYC thinks NYC when they hear NY and go UGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.