Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,449 times

Advertisements

How about Kentucky? Southern, but North of Mason-Dixon Line? What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Maybe a little bias, but NJ does have an identity problem.. It's one big metro.
What people automatically think is, you're either from the NYC area or the Philly area... And the only major NJ cities are for the most part some of the most dangerous cities in the country... and they're already overshadowed by NYC and Philly as it is.

The pretty much big up for NJ is Atlantic City and its shores, that's because you can call it Jersey's own, it's not NYC's metro (to an extent) nor Philly's.

So to make it more clear, When people think NJ they think it's NYC's little brother and Philly's little cousin, while people ignore the fact that it's the state of New Jersey.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I say Virginia. We were once a very Southern state. Now people try to put as Mid-Atlantic or even Northeast!
The Mid-Atlantic states are part of the Northeast. The Northeast is divided into two sub-regions, New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:29 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i lived in deland, florida in the 80's for about three years. it was very southern, boring and racist.
Would you care to expand on that?

Quote:
florida is better when it's not southern, though turning it into a mexico is another unfavorable extreme too.
Why is it "better" when it's not southern?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The Mid-Atlantic states are part of the Northeast. The Northeast is divided into two sub-regions, New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.
That's in the old classification system that referred to the Mid-Atlantic as the states of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

Today, the term more or less relates to a more middle location on the Atlantic. Hence, the term always encompasses Maryland and Delaware, usually Virginia, and sometimes North Carolina.

Both Virginia and North Carolina are southern in culture.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:19 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanWithClass View Post
Probably California

is it US or Mexico? nobody knows!

rofl...that really made me rofl

Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Texas, WDC and Oklahoma
<<<<<

For Texas and Oklahoma, the transplants would be the only ones who were regionally confused. All Okies and Texans that I know consider themselves decidedly Southern. (because of speech, food, religion, overall culture, etc.)
DH (from Nebraska, a big football rival of OK's) once told me that Oklahomans consider themselves westerners, not southerners.

And Jeez, some of you are carving up some pretty little states: NJ, Ohio, MD, etc. Could fit several of them into Colorado which is 100% western, IMO!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
DH (from Nebraska, a big football rival of OK's) once told me that Oklahomans consider themselves westerners, not southerners.

And Jeez, some of you are carving up some pretty little states: NJ, Ohio, MD, etc. Could fit several of them into Colorado which is 100% western, IMO!
Well, I'm from Oklahoma (born and raised, 4th generation) and again, all Okies I know have always claimed to be Southerners (unless they are transplants.) This is what we are taught in school. The Census puts Oklahoma in the West South Central along with Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana. This is by far the best designation because it captures the culture that is most prevalent in Oklahoma = a watered-down Deep South culture.

I have heard many Okies claim to be Southwestern, but it must be understood that this is not in the sense of New Mexico, extreme southern Cal, or Arizona. This is in the sense that Oklahoma (along with Texas, in particular) is a "westernized" part of the South. Now, there is obviously a lot of cowboy culture in Oklahoma. That is probably a good way to think of the Sooner State = the Cowboy South (a rowdier, rougher, Redneck version of the South.)

Speaking of college football, Bill Callahan (former headcoach @ Nebraska) called Okies a bunch of "f'n hillbillies" when he came to Norman, Oklahoma. I got such a kick out of that = that Nebraskan didn't haven't a clue what BIG 12 SOUTH is all about, LOL!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:33 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i lived in deland, florida in the 80's for about three years. it was very southern, boring and racist.

florida is better when it's not southern, though turning it into a mexico is another unfavorable extreme too.
As long as somewhere is in America, you'd hate it no matter what it is. Seriously, get a grip.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
As long as somewhere is in America, you'd hate it no matter what it is. Seriously, get a grip.
well, since that's not true, you are wrong.

i liked hawaii but it's too expensive, that's not hating a place just someplace i can't live long-term.

deland was racist and boring to me in the 80's. would you like me to lie about my opinion?

i don't like most places in america because the places culturally that interest me are usually expensive hence my first thread. i can lie about that to appease you too if you'd like. i liked a particular place in upstate ny and i mentioned it before but i can't handle the cold anymore. should i lie about that too?

i really can't pay 1500 a month for a hole in the wall in nyc just so i can be in nyc. does that make me hate everything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.