Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,694,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Because the national media is in DC, they think Northern Virginia is the extent of Virginia because that's where they live and that's where all of their friends live. I bet half of them haven't even seen the rest of Virginia. Point is, they are defining your culture to people outside of the state and it's skewed. It's not necessarily the reality of it. It's just like the people in upstate NY. The national media is in NYC and so everyone outside of NYC thinks NYC when they hear NY and go UGH.
Yes thats true. NYC mine as well be another country. Upstate NY people are very friendly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Texas, WDC and Oklahoma
<<<<<

For Texas and Oklahoma, the transplants would be the only ones who were regionally confused. All Okies and Texans that I know consider themselves decidedly Southern. (because of speech, food, religion, overall culture, etc.)
For the majority of Texans I would say yes. I would also say southern if I had to pick only one region for Texas and Oklahoma.

However there was a recent thread and some Texans believe the state is more southwest or west. I am not sure if they are transplants or not however.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Florida, for the most part, is not southern, it's actually south of the south. North Florida is southern, but the rest of the state has lost it's southern character. I would put Florida in a different region, the Tropics, with Hawaii, which is the state probably most similar to today's Florida.
We all know the Southern border of our nation is I-10...anything south of that is either Cuba or Mexico!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:25 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,708 times
i lived in deland, florida in the 80's for about three years. it was very southern, boring and racist.

florida is better when it's not southern, though turning it into a mexico is another unfavorable extreme too.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Florida... here right now, there is pretty much no culture here, too many transients for school, 2nd houses, vacations, close up shack in the winter, etc.
The whole southern culture Florida gets is usually the bad parts of it too like the racism and doesn't come with much else like the community feeling or hospitality.
There are definitely small patches that are unique ... but overall, very bland, cookie cutter boring...I remember now why I left the first time.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 PM

125 posts, read 448,200 times
Texas.

Southern-Confederate state, Southern influence, grouped with the south, in the south.

SouthWestern- Cowboy culture, deserts, grouped with the southwest, in the southwest

Old 03-02-2009, 02:32 PM

38 posts, read 114,022 times
Possibly CT. Parts of the state associate with NY, the other half with New England and Boston.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
New York State has a huge identity problem. People either think it's all paved over, or they think most of it is just cows except for New York City and Long Island.

Neither is true.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Default Your not kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
New York State has a huge identity problem. People either think it's all paved over, or they think most of it is just cows except for New York City and Long Island.

Neither is true.
New York City overshadows the state to the extent that I think the state should change its name to New Yorkshire or New Netherlands. Even the Billy Joel song, "In a NY State of Mind" - seems to be mostly about NYC.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:04 PM

In some ways, the different parts of New York state have more common with parts of New England than the Mid-Atlantic states (especially the ones farthest south). Also I did not realize until CD, that Buffalo has a partial Great Lakes/Midwestern influence. So we really are kind of hybrid border state ourselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.