Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:15 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times

Advertisements

To Deacon...I don't know if I mentioned this already, but Tennessee Williams was from Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:29 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
No, the fact that there is a population of people who think that means nothing...it means they are misguided and uneducated...Deacon's list of southern characteristics are not only wrong (because those characteristics like Southern Comfort are served in many places outside the south, and the architecture is NOT southern), they are misguided. You seem to want to defend people that make those claims, even if they are wrong. You want St. Louis to be this unmappable, undiscernible mecca...I hate to disappoint you, but it's not. "Southern" is a completely subjective opinion, probably too much for your narrow mind to comprehend. And Deacon's list of southern characteristics is faulty, and EVERYONE besides you and him can see that. I am not denying either St. Louis or Missouri are completely devoid of southern characteristics...what I am denying and know to be the truth is that these characteristics are at least in St. Louis nowhere near enough to make this city not a part of the Midwest. As far as Missouri goes, it's pretty much the same thing. They have some southern influences, but they are only that...influences, nothing more. Yes it's farther south than Chicago, so it is warmer, however Cincinnati, Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Columbus have virtually identical climates. And Chicago can get just as hot as St. Louis, and you're a liar if you think that's not true...it just doesn't happen as frequently. The mistake you and Deacon make is that these Southern characteristics (Deacon's are not true...if he were correct, i would acknowledge it, if you agree with his list than you're dumb, that's all I can say) are minimal. If you want a place in Missouri that is truly part of the south and not in any way Midwestern, go to the southeastern portion of Missouri in the Mississippi Delta. See? I don't deny that Missouri is devoid of Southern influence. Minor portions of it are truly Southern. But St. Louis is decidely Midwestern. In general, so is most of the state. If St. Louis were actually southern, I wouldn't be putting in this much effort to correct people. I'm not interested in talking to you anyway. Your definition about Forest Park being a walk in the south cracked up every friend I showed it too. Keep that intelligence coming so I can keep making a joke out of you You and deacon can go form your little cult and make idiots out of everyone by spewing fountains of bad information...I'll decline the invitation to join. You know nothing of my personal life, and you're hopelessly guessing...I probably make more in a day than you do in a week. The only southern things about st. louis and missouri were their pasts before the Civil War, and their stance during the Civil War is enough in itself to call into serious question if they ever really qualified as southern. That is where most of the population's misconception generally stems from. After the Civil War, St. Louis and Missouri (including much of the Ozarks in Missouri) cut their ties to the south, ties of which St. Louis had a very limited number. I'm tired of dealing with you, and I've made the same argument which has garnered much more support than it has disagreement. So maybe you're right, maybe I'm wasting my time trying to educate people incapable of being educated. People want to ignore facts, I guess it's their stupidity, not mine.
That was 1/4 of an hour worth of precious life you just wasted.

Thanks for re-clarifying your social in-capabilities with this post. I'm sending your private message to moderators, as it included personal threats to my safety, hopefully you'll be booted from the forum.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
College football IS everywhere but not as appreciated and followed as it is in the south.
I'd like you to tell that to the people in Columbus, Ann Arbor and Happy Valley!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
That was 1/4 of an hour worth of precious life you just wasted.

Thanks for re-clarifying your social in-capabilities with this post. I'm sending your private message to moderators, as it included personal threats to my safety, hopefully you'll be booted from the forum.
1/4 of an hour? I typed that in 4 minutes. As far as social incapabilities, no, I have plenty of social capabilities, you're just not worth sharing them with...you are out to get me, so you'll get no such treatment from me. I dislike you intensely. Go ahead, get me booted...you're like a disease that has plagued my experience on here from the first time you sent me a direct message. You can continue painting false images of my city...you won't get much credibility leant to you. For evidence of this, check out a thread called "St. Louis...Southern or Midwestern?" Everyone thought it was Midwestern, some said with a few Southern influences. You're the trouble-maker, not me. You pestered me with your nonstop direct messages loaded with b/s and you proceeded to bug me for the next 2 months it felt like. You're the one that started this little feud between us and even encouraged it...or did you forget? In any case, I think I'm taking a break from this forum...I've actually got better things to do with my time then shoot down your b/s. I'll just trust that others will be intelligent enough to not listen to you.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
College football IS everywhere but not as appreciated and followed as it is in the south.
Having lived in "Big East" country, "Big 10" and "Big 12" (currently), I disagree. I've never lived in the south, but it can't get much crazier than the Big 12, esp. the U of Nebraska.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I'd say Rhode island. When I was in the service no one could understand them and often thought they were from new jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.