Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 PM

364 posts, read 527,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Crazy.. never thought I'd say this, but..

I agree with you.
I might take offense to that if you said that to me in 'real' life, but I don't take Internet life as serious as some. Don't have the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 10:20 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,920 times
I’ve known people that have never been further than 25 miles from their hometown there entire life (for the grammar nit pickers, if it’s the wrong there I really don’t care), some just have no desire to relocate, try something new, there perfectly content just getting by on the basics no matter if it’s great or flat out terrible, who knows that may be the best way.

I think the biggest hang up we all have is that fear of the unknown, we loose that sense of security, being in a strange place that’s just become your new home is not a good feeling sometimes and that sense of security is quickly gone leaving you with total emptiness which can be very trying for some until they regain that home feeling, it’s comparable to that first day on the new job feeling.

For some it’s family that holds them, jobs, good town, many things that keep them in one location, the cost of moving is quite high plus it’s a pain, if you move to a new location & it’s taken a big chunk of your money to do so you may not have the money to get back out again if after your settled you find out it’s not what you had expected and be stuck there then you stand the chance of being worse off than before.

Kids in school plays into moving also, but for most now days things are different than years ago, job security is a thing of the past, the mentality many many years ago was you got your job were your dad or uncle worked, it paid the bills and that was life, you were born & died in the same location, present time it’s move on, explore, people get bored, life changes it’s a fast paced society now so as you see on this board there’s a lot of looking into moving about going on, go for the gusto and hope it works out deal.

Then you have some that are just barely getting by as it is & any hope of leaving to find the better is just not possible, there are many out there somewhat trapped between a rock & a hard place with very little hope of seeing things getting any better, I’m sure they would love to change there situation but have neither the know how nor money to do so, many fall between the cracks with no help to better themselves, have older vehicles that just barely get them to & from there jobs unable to move up to a better vehicle so that long distance move is totally out of the picture, no money to even think of moving since everything goes towards just maintaining there being as it is, unless you've been there one can only imagine how it feels for those that want change so badly, reading posts on here of so many moving to big modern expensive housing, but yet for them it will only be just a dream that has no hope of ever becoming a reality, for those I really wish a better life, to win a lottery, a new lease in a life that has dealt them one bad card after another, they are truly the hard workers that need the one break in life that would totally change everything for them.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 AM

364 posts, read 527,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
It's ok, chances are I wouldn't notice you in "real life" anyway.
You have made two remarks indicating you dislike me. Which is funny given you know nothing about me. A few remarks on the net do not equal knowing anything about somebody contrary to the disbelief of those who have no real life outside the net. Afterall, think about all the sickos who pretend to be a 13 yr old girl on the net. Obviously what is behind the keys is not a great and true indicaton of someone. I have no idea who you are and have never noticed you on here before.

You should save your childish middle school remarks for someone who "knows" who you are here.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I would have liked to move back to where I grew up... but it got too $$$ with the yuppie teardown mania.
I hate to move, too much of a pain in the butt to pack up everything and not to mention all the realty transaction /selling pains. Everytime I have moved I have lost something.
I would rather travel extensively. Although we may consider moving somewhere else after retirement to escape high taxes.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 14,948 times
I started out in Detroit--really I started out in Seattle, Washington and was born in Detroit 9 months later--for a start, here is a list of where I have lived since
Salt Lake City, Utah
Juneau, Alaska
College Place, Washington
Yakima, Washington
Spokane, Washington
Medical Lake, Washington
Anchorage, Alaska
Rexburg, Idaho
Provo, Utah
Bountiful, Utah
Seattle, Washington
Denver Colorado
Seattle, Washington
Shoreline, Washington
Bountiful, Utah

I plan to retire in Oregon--I'm really looking forward to returning to the Northwest--but right now I have some responsibilities in Utah. Early in my life I didn't have a lot of choice where I wanted to live. When I became an adult I somewhat settled in the Seattle area but I needed to go to Utah to help out family.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
If you are happy and content with your life and where you live, why move? You can also travel/vacation in order to see other states, and the world. But then, there's no place like home.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:55 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
My mom has spent her last 93 years in the same small town, and she wouldn't have it any other way. That's where she was born, grew up, made friends, and it was just always the place she called home. There was no reason to go anyplace else if she has everything she wants right there.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
If you like the place you're from, I can see why you might want to stay. But a lot of people don't like where they live, yet they stay because they're afraid to leave. I find that sad. I could never imagine only living in one place (although I suppose that would be impossible for me anyway since I am 17 and have lived in 2 places).

One question I must ask is how do you know you like the place you're from if you've never been anywhere else? Do you really like it, or is that just all you know? How do you know there's not another place that you would like even more?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
It's not easy to find housing fit for my disability. Also there's family connections here. I wasn't born in the place I currently live, and don't much care for it, but those two things (family, disability) are pretty key.

Although many people stay in the place just because they're happy there.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Some people are lucky enough to find an area that has everything they want and need. Family, friends, a good job, and all those other things people look for like climate and entertainment. Some people just may not want to take the risk and spend time, and money to move somewhere they are not sure they will even like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.