Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times

Advertisements

I've traveled to many countries and states. Have lived in only one other state/city, except not counting working in three other counrties for a couple of years each.
But still live in the city where I was born.
Why? Friends, family and lots to do and see in my small but beautiful city. And there is no place like "HOME".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I always knew I didn't want to live in the Chicago area my whole life, ever since I was a kid. If anything, I was probably being overly conventional in that regard: I had subscribed to the cultural narrative that you're supposed to move out and see the world, and not doing so signifies never truly growing up and being independent. I was dealing with some clinical issues that often keep kids dependent on their families in adulthood, and I was determined to not let that be me, to launch successfully like a "normal" person does. When it came time to apply to colleges, I knew from day one that I would not be including any in Illinois (yeah, that signifies callous socioeconomic privilege, but I didn't realize this at the time).

As I've grown up and actually gotten to live in a few parts of the country and do more traveling (alone and with others), I've realized that belief I once lived with was misguided, and many people (especially in big cities) never leave home and are perfectly conventionally successful. But I've also come to appreciate the experiences of moving and traveling for their own sake, as part of living a full and varied life, and not for what personal status they might connote.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:18 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Default Why do some people live their whole life in the same city?

They were lucky... already in the place where they belong
(or at least a place that was "good enough").

Others of us have to go looking for the right place.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:41 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Variety is good. Grew up in NY through college, 2 years in Atlanta, 33 years in CA (SF and mostly SoCal), and currently Miami. Experienced things I most likely would not have had I stayed in NY my entire life, especially outdoor activities (was a lot easier for me to look forward to skiing out West knowing I would be returning to a warm weather climate in a few days). OTOH, I missed the directness (vs overly PC), close bonds, sarcasm, and overall grounded, common sense and solid advice I was accustomed to from back East, which is why most of my good friends out West were also transplants from similar backgrounds....even though I ventured cross country and tried new things I still sought people similar to what I grew up with but in different surroundings. Guess you can call that dipping the toe in the water v jumping all the way in.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
My answer would be, because it's where they believe they belong, and where they choose to be. Most people can pick up and move, so if they're staying, it's their choice. Family, a love for their state, close friends...those are probably more the deciding factors than jobs, as people don't stay in their jobs throughout their entire careers. I think it's ridiculous how people are made fun of, for living only in one state...it's their choice.

I've lived in five different states, am currently in WI, and love it. May move for a few months during the winter, or back to Chicago, but that's, pretty much, WI.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:03 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
This is such a perplexing question for most people it takes a reason to move. Especially non Americans it takes a war or Famine, or economic collapse to get people to move.

You can’t replace family or friends so people really value being able to spend as much time as they want with those people as opposed to just holidays or vacations.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 PM

342 posts, read 318,581 times
I think the biggest reason is home is where family and friends are. As long as you have a good job in your hometown, why move for something else? especially for weather? Memories with family and friends are not easily replaced by more money or nicer weather.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:10 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
I left but came back. I mean, I like it here and it’s home but mostly we agreed it is better for our children to have a stable home and grow up with family. We refuse to move our children around. We travel a lot, all over the world, but they have a home. Pre kids I would have moved anywhere, anytime but we had stable careers that required setting down some roots to be most successful.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:21 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
For myself, I love my city. I've traveled all over the country and there's really no where I would rather live. Now, I would leave the US in a second for the right opportunity.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:54 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenHighways View Post
To answer the original question...because they gave up on their own lives.
This might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.