Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:50 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Generally speaking, people hate change. Why upset the apple cart if you don't HAVE to?

But, others want to experience as much as possible. Fear is for the other guy. I'm happy to be in this group!
Put away the broad brush! You make it sound like those who stay put are unflexible and fearful. One could also argue that those who move to other places are unstable and running away from something, but you'd be equally wrong. (FYI, I have lived in 9 different cities in 5 different states!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 02:52 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I lived in the town I was born for 18 years then went to school for two years. I've been in Houston 31 years and HATE it, we are working toward moving.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I think it's obvious. If your happy in your location and/or have alot of friends, family, great job, why would you leave? As someone who has moved many times it is a pain in the .... ! I have two family members that have lived in the same place there entire life. Like I said above they have everything they need. The grass isn't always greener on the other side! They never had any empathy for me moving because they have no idea how hard, stressful, expensive, and everything else it can be.

If you want to experience new things.... travel! It's that easy.
Crazy.. never thought I'd say this, but..

I agree with you.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:49 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Everywhere man is born free, yet we see him in chains.
It does not matter if it is in Akron, Austin, Charlotte, or Scranton.

You can't get a decent Big Boy outside of Michigan. Denny's generally sucks.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
My mother has lived in the same area for 71 years. She complains about it constantly, doesn't really have an friends or family there, but she won't move. I desperately need her to be here with me this week, but nope, she won't even come down.

Me, I've moved twice, searching for that home. Someday, I hope to find it.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:02 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Fear has nothing to do with anything. I've traveled all over the world, hiked mountains in Russia, danced in a Sao Paulo nightclub, swam in Munich's eisbach river, visited the Scottish highlands ... I just like to go home to Chicago, where I grew up. Just because someone likes where he or she was born and raised and likes the community that comes with it does not mean that he or she is cowering behind the door in fear afraid to cross the boundaries of her hometown and experience something new, it doesn't mean that at all.
I have to agree with this, as I've traveled to a lot of places, but I am always happy to come back to sweet home Chicago. It may not be the most perfect place in the world to everyone, but no matter where I've been, Chicago always somehow comes out looking better to me. I guess it's because I'm used to it, or know what to expect, that makes it more comfortable for me. I guess 'comfort' is the key word here.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:20 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I think the happiest , most content people come from towns where their roots run deep and had a good secure childhood.
These are people who went off to get an education, and came back home to raise the next generation. Nowadays that sounds like a fairytale, but it happens quite a bit where I live.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:31 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,031 times
Traveling as much as I do (and have since I was a baby), I've noticed people from larger cities tend to venture out more than the small-towners. After years in huge cities we're currently living in a small town outside of Louisville. Generation after generation live all within 10 miles of one another here! The more adventurous ones trickle over to Tennessee for a quick trip. But west? North? Overseas? Unheard of! lol! We began noticing people who aren't supposedly even related sharing the same facial features. I suppose it stands to reason if over a long period of time no one moves that certain traits will become predominant physically. The men tend to have (don't laugh I'm serious) pumpkin heads. Big square heads & stocky farmer built. The women are either very skinny and have large beaky sloping type noses, recessed mouths & jutted out chins OR heavyset with puggish noses. One local joked their family tree looks like a telephone pole! Good grief! Myself, I get the move itch every few years. Never looked back.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
Traveling as much as I do (and have since I was a baby), I've noticed people from larger cities tend to venture out more than the small-towners. After years in huge cities we're currently living in a small town outside of Louisville. Generation after generation live all within 10 miles of one another here! The more adventurous ones trickle over to Tennessee for a quick trip. But west? North? Overseas? Unheard of! lol! We began noticing people who aren't supposedly even related sharing the same facial features. I suppose it stands to reason if over a long period of time no one moves that certain traits will become predominant physically. The men tend to have (don't laugh I'm serious) pumpkin heads. Big square heads & stocky farmer built. The women are either very skinny and have large beaky sloping type noses, recessed mouths & jutted out chins OR heavyset with puggish noses. One local joked their family tree looks like a telephone pole! Good grief! Myself, I get the move itch every few years. Never looked back.
Coyote, are you sure you havent just finished a good Stephen King book that I don't know about!!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:00 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,031 times
Noooooooooo! The funniest is listening to the locals talk about all this. Guess it is spooky in a way.Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.