Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I really wish more black people had this attitude. There are so many out there who still have the slave mentality, and think if you're smart, have ambition, etc., you're "acting white." If you speak correct English, you're "talking white." Everything is racism, nothing is your own fault. I'm multiracial, but I get this all the time from certain ignorant black people. It sickens me. Bill Cosby was 100% right, blacks are holding themselves back with the idiotic slave mentality.
Just don't listen to them. For anyone who is aspiring to do something, there are always people who will say/do what they can to discourage that person, whether you are black or white, Asian, etc. there will be people saying something like the "trying to act white" comments. Just be yourself! Why fit a poster image, right!?

In Maryland we call it "crabs in a bucket". If one crab tries to get out of the bucket, the others hold it down with their claws!

Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Geography has a lot to do with that. For instance, with NY, most of the Hispanics/Latinos here come from the Caribbean and it isn't as easy for them to immigrate here, as it would for say Mexicans to come to Texas, California and other Southwestern states. Same with the proximity of Asian immigrants to those states in comparison to NY. While NY still has their share, it's not like CA and Texas.

What also makes it more interesting for NY is that many of the Hispanics/Latinos are of African descent. So, there is a somewhat shared culture between African-Americans/Blacks with roots in the Caribbean and the Hispanic/Latino communities here. In TX and CA, the Hispanics/Latinos are more Mestizo(Native/Spanish and some African mix). So, the cultures are generally more different.

NY's Black population is also growing, but mainly due to immigration from the Caribbean and Africa.
I believe California is losing more blacks than gaining. You have lots of blacks from CA in TX; I've heard lots of them say they are just here temporarily and hoping to return back home.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,620 times
Quote:
I think this is so over exaggerated, to be honest. While you might get some that do this, I think most Black people actually give their own props for getting an education and succeeding.

Again, you will actually get some whites that give you this problem, as I've witnessed that myself in terms of not being "stereotypical" per se. So, it isn't just Black folks that do this.
It sounds about right to me. Ask about any black professional and they all are familiar with being told they are "trying to be white". Ask a black guy who likes rock music or classical music or who prefers doing math instead of playing basketball.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
I think this is so over exaggerated, to be honest. While you might get some that do this, I think most Black people actually give their own props for getting an education and succeeding.

Again, you will actually get some whites that give you this problem, as I've witnessed that myself in terms of not being "stereotypical" per se. So, it isn't just Black folks that do this.
I agree 100%. I've only heard a few blacks talk down on getting a higher education; honestly, I've heard more whites talk negative about it than blacks.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It sounds about right to me. Ask about any black professional and they all are familiar with being told they are "trying to be white". Ask a black guy who likes rock music or classical music or who prefers doing math instead of playing basketball.
Yeah. I've gotten so much crap from (certain) blacks on listening to rock and country music, not liking rap or r&b, getting good grades in college, and wanting to live in North Dakota. It definitely does exist.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Here's a state you probably wouldn't think of: North Dakota also has a rapidly growing black (as well as Asian and Hispanic) population.
Of course, they didn't have that many to begin with. I think the economy in that state has something to do with that and they also have 2 Air Force Base in locations in Minot and Grand Forks, which brings in some "diversity" to those areas and have noticeable amounts of Black folks. Percentage of Black people on these bases are: 12% and 9.7%. Fargo's economy has grown and the Black population has grown to just over 2% there.

South Dakota also has a growing Black population, but again, Rapid City has an AFB close by and Sioux Falls actually has a growing economy as well and would probably be my choice as to where I would live in the Dakotas, as it has the highest percentage of Blacks of any city at about 3% or so. A few other communities like Yankton, Vermilion(Univ. of SD is located there) and Huron are around or are just over 1% Black, which is what the state percentage is. Same for ND.

As you might know, Native Americans make up the largest "minority" group in the Dakotas.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I've gotten so much crap from (certain) blacks on listening to rock and country music, not liking rap or r&b, getting good grades in college, and wanting to live in North Dakota. It definitely does exist.
Maybe you need to educate them on the real story. Who do you think started Rock music? Black folks have had influence on the country game and there have been Black artists that have been doing country for many years.

I can understand the North Dakota thing due to their economy right now and you still have places there with Black communities.

I say all of this to say that you can use times like that to put people on to things they might not know about. Especially Black folks, as we are still finding out things in terms of historical achievement and history just within this country, let alone worldwide.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree 100%. I've only heard a few blacks talk down on getting a higher education; honestly, I've heard more whites talk negative about it than blacks.
Interestingly, this has been my experience due to going to public schools that were 95% White or so. There were times where the kids would want you to act like a buffoon or if you dress or speak a certain way, they might make a remark about it. I'm talking about White folks now.

As a person that grew up in overwhelmingly Black churches, specifically one church I went to, we would have awards given to kids that graduate, they would get standing ovations and everything. I'm talking about kids that went to colleges like Howard, American U., Michigan State, Penn State, a bunch of SUNY schools and so on. These kids went to urban and suburban high schools in the area and came from poor to affluent neighborhoods too. Unfortunately, this aspect of African-American life doesn't get the press like negative things that might occur.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Just don't listen to them. For anyone who is aspiring to do something, there are always people who will say/do what they can to discourage that person, whether you are black or white, Asian, etc. there will be people saying something like the "trying to act white" comments. Just be yourself! Why fit a poster image, right!?

In Maryland we call it "crabs in a bucket". If one crab tries to get out of the bucket, the others hold it down with their claws!
So why when I do the exact same thing, I'm called a "self-hating racist" as you mentioned how I was a few pages back. If any of you took my posting as "racist," I apologize. My scorning isn't applicable to ALL African Americans. And being from Maryland, I would think you would understand some of the actions of people from certain (not all, but certain) black neighborhoods.

The reason I may come off as more insensitive is because of the experiences I've faced. I'm assuming that most of you who speak well of the overall black community are from predominantly black neighborhoods that embraced you as one of their own, or were raised back in earlier decades when black camaraderie was much more common. Well, I didn't receive the total love and embrace that the black community bragged about, so yea, I admit to being very bitter of it. And being reminded constantly of not being unwanted by the local community that apparently is supposed to be connected by a "shared history" really gets nauseating after years of the same old hypocritical garbage! It's something I can't talk about with 90 percent of my family members, and I really don't want to wear out the 10 percent who understands what I'm facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well I definitely need to at least check out Houston. This is assuming that the black communities aren't all that monolithic. And now that I think about it, wasn't it during the 70s/60s and earlier when blacks were trying to make make do for themselves, integrate into the American mainstream, and make progress through academic and peaceful means that the most resistance and riots were started by the whites who were racist? It seems that today, every other non-black person loves to complain about the violent and ghetto behaviors of a few blacks, but no one wants to protest it. Also, I recall from my experiences while attended college in Maryland, there was a much more embrace of blacks who would act like buffoons and wannabe thugs. The reason I may constantly bash the Northeast for this (Urbanized BosWash Northeast, NOT Rural Upstate Northeast) is because most of the non-blacks would always try to and patronize normal and educated blacks, try to nullify their achievements, and act like they're no better than those who act bitter, ghetto, and uneducated. I consider this worse in terms of racist acts than straight out yelling racial slurs. But in my experience, this is hardly an issue with non-blacks from nearly all of the other regions.

Doesn't it make one wonder?

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 02-26-2010 at 01:43 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,927 times
Quote:

Carlton Banks? Is that you?...................... just joking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.