Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
The only places where there are no trees are in the downtown area (like any other city), and the suburban areas where all vegetation has been stripped for development. !

Dude, please. For the love of all things pure, step away from the the crack pipe.

Drive along the LBJ and tell me that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Most events like swimming, track, etc. can be held indoors, and what is in EVERY building in Dallas?? AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!

Why would they need AC? I thought it wasn't really hot there?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
For all the posturing on the preceding pages about what city could host the Olympics, it really comes down to economics.

The only cities in America that can even to afford to put on an Olympics are Sunbelt cities. Among the one's that haven't had it, that would put it down between Dallas or Houston.

In order to pull of the Olympics you have to be able to transform your entire city for a two week event. Do you really think a place like Philly, Boston, or even Chicago could pull that off in 5 to 6 years?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
This has got to be a joke. Dallas is oppressively hot in the summertime. Do you want all the athletes to pass out from heat exhaustion?

Not to mention the lack of scenery in the area...
And Atlanta was not hot in the summer. Micheal Johnson Dallas native made it ok through North Texas heat.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 11-12-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Dude, please. For the love of all things pure, step away from the the crack pipe.

Drive along the LBJ and tell me that.
LBJ is beautiful, but I like Inks and Buchanan better though. Honestly, if they do bring an Olympics to Houston or Dallas, I think the outdoor water events should be in Austin. It would be hard to beat LBJ, Inks, Buchanan, Lake Travis. Hell even Town Lake would be beautiful setting.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
And Atlanta was not hot in the summer. Larry Johnson Dallas native made it ok through North Texas heat.
Atlanta is hot in July (as is almost every other U.S. city), but with an average high of 89 degrees compared to Dallas with an average high of 96 degrees. Atlanta's altitude gives a little humidity relief as well.

Dallas could more easily host the Olympics in September, since that is still technically summer and the average high is a little cooler - 89 degrees.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
And Atlanta was not hot in the summer. Larry Johnson Dallas native made it ok through North Texas heat.

Irrelevant. I'm pretty sure a native of North Texas would be acclimated to the heat. That's why so many of the Dallas defenders on here can't seem to comprehend just how hot it can get there in the summertime. It's a big world out there, explore it.

I don't think Atlanta is all that bad in the summertime compared to other sunbelt cities. However, there are people who find it oppressive. There were many remarks made about Atlanta's heat and humidity during the Olympics. Everyone doesn't think alike, sorry.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:14 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
After the atlanta fiasco, I don't think the IOC would consider another "Bubbalympics"
Atlanta "fiasco"?

Aside from the terrorist attack, the games went off without a major hitch, the U.S. lead the medal count with 101, and city had zero debt before the Games even began. It was also the single event that catapulted Atlanta from a city of national importance into a World City. Yeah, sounds like a failure to me. Not to mention Michael Johnson's world record 400 meter world record run 2 days after the bombing was one of the highlights Olympic lore.

But that's ok, I'll just let you stay ignorant with your "Bubbaolympics" comment

Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
LBJ is beautiful, but I like Inks and Buchanan better though. Honestly, if they do bring an Olympics to Houston or Dallas, I think the outdoor water events should be in Austin. It would be hard to beat LBJ, Inks, Buchanan, Lake Travis. Hell even Town Lake would be beautiful setting.
I think the poster was talking about the LBJ freeway, not the lake.

I guess some of the water events could be done along the lakes in Austin. And maybe some saltwater events in Galveston Bay? Make it a statewide effort.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Atlanta "fiasco"?

Aside from the terrorist attack, the games went off without a major hitch, the U.S. lead the medal count with 101, and city had zero debt before the Games even began. It was also the single event that catapulted Atlanta from a city of national importance into a World City. Yeah, sounds like a failure to me. Not to mention Michael Johnson's world record 400 meter world record run 2 days after the bombing was one of the highlights Olympic lore.

But that's ok, I'll just let you stay ignorant with your "Bubbaolympics" comment
There were issues with logistics, traffic (Atlanta is already a hard city to get around, traffic or no traffic) and over-commercialization. While not a fiasco, it did hamper things a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.