Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2021, 12:40 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times

Advertisements

I can see the Los Angeles skyline from my cabin over 100 miles away as the crow flies. Actually I can see out to Catalina Island which is more like 150 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 12:49 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I can see the Los Angeles skyline from my cabin over 100 miles away as the crow flies. Actually I can see out to Catalina Island which is more like 150 miles.
I believe you but pictures are a must. C'mon you have to show us now

Old 03-12-2021, 02:08 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
You can't actually make it out in the picture, it's not high-res enough, but in theory you should be able to see the Seattle skyline from Mt. Constance looking this direction, 39 miles as the crow flies. You can see the outlines of the Toandos Peninsula, the Hood Canal, and then the Kitsap Peninsula, and you can see the Cascades in the distance, so downtown Seattle should be somewhere in the middle below the clouds.

Weirdly I'm not finding any pictures of Seattle from the mountains, just the other way around. Actually in theory you should be able to see the skyline from Rainier (59 mi as the crow flies) but I can't make out any kind of detail from the streetviews there.

Farthest point I can find with an unequivocal view of the skyline is Manchester on the Kitsap Peninsula, 10.4 mi as the crow flies.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:11 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I believe you but pictures are a must. C'mon you have to show us now
I don’t have any on this phone as after the 100th photo I haven’t taken any in ages, but here’s a couple I snagged off our Facebook group. I know I’ve seen better of the skyline, but I don’t feel like scrolling through the site to find more.

We’re heading up tonight, and I promise to upload some of my own in the future, but it might have to wait until another trip? We just got 2’ of snow and it’s been rainy along the coast so it might be a bit cloudy this weekend to get any good shots.

Full disclosures I can’t see either from my house, but I can at different vantage points just down the street. I wanted a view of this, and the city lights at night, but my wife wanted one facing the other direction to remind us we weren’t above 20 million people, lol. Streets in my neighborhood include Ocean View and Catalina.

Catalina is on the horizon to the right of the sun reflecting off the ocean, and the skyline is in the sun in the second picture

From how far away can you see your skyline??-c760740f-61a3-485e-9c6c-1acc0c059862.jpegFrom how far away can you see your skyline??-10e91180-3d02-438a-b4b0-0374298df1dd.jpeg

Old 03-12-2021, 06:23 PM

23 posts, read 67,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I'm wondering, can you see Miami from the Bahamas? Or the Bahamas from a Miami high rise?

Very unlikely. The nearest part of the Bahamas to Miami is the island of North Bimini (Alice Town) - 56 miles (90km).

From the tallest building in Miami at sunrise (producing a silhouette of Alice Town), you might get very lucky catching a glimpse of the Hilton hotel (only a few stories tall), but I haven't done the math.

Fata Morgana might come in to play here.

Last edited by Spotila; 03-12-2021 at 07:16 PM..

Old 03-12-2021, 07:30 PM

1,013 posts, read 913,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
I've hear some say you can see Chicago Skyline (mainly just the Sears Tower) from the I-80 bridge in Joliet, roughly 40 miles away as the crow flies
Don’t know if this has been posted and not positive but I THINK I saw Chicago from the Michigan shore years ago, it was teeny but still....don’t know how far that was in miles but it was far!

Old 03-12-2021, 08:18 PM

23 posts, read 67,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Don’t know if this has been posted and not positive but I THINK I saw Chicago from the Michigan shore years ago, it was teeny but still....don’t know how far that was in miles but it was far!

The furthest I've found that one can see Chicago from the other side of the lake is from Benton Harbor/St Joseph, a distance of 98km / 61 miles:

https://imgur.com/8O84Rff

The lake gets too wide and is too far north from there upwards

Old 03-13-2021, 09:22 AM

515 posts, read 253,266 times
Sorry, I messed up something on my first message, so here is the fixed version...
I don't know about y'all, but some incredible shots can be taken of the Charlotte skyline... I'll share a few of them here...

Here is a shot from Crowder's Mountain, which is about 25 miles away as the crow flies, and has a prominence of 787 ft...
https://images.app.goo.gl/D1qik7STFeDRBX6v8

Not very far here, but a cool shot from Matheson Ave over the rail yards between Villa Heights and NoDa... about 2 miles
https://images.app.goo.gl/ggc1tqvLzjdEzcKQ9

Here is a view from Roan Mountain, which I didn't know was possible. Taken at sunrise and using a 300mm lens to zoom in (not my photo)... Roan High Knob sits on the Appalachian Trail between NC and Tennessee, just about 94 miles...
https://images.app.goo.gl/B6kU9uGqkaRyB9tk7

Most people in-state know this pic, taken from Grandfather Mountain... about 82 miles
https://images.app.goo.gl/NBAVjccpi295M2bN7

From Big Yellow Mountain near Minneapolis, NC... a little over 90 miles
https://images.app.goo.gl/DW5p2en1qyZCQyG47

From Chestnut Knob in the South Mountains south of Morganton... about 53 miles
https://images.app.goo.gl/hqCT6B9G4RqwK29U9

Additionally, several people have reported seeing the Charlotte skyline from Mount Mitchell, Mount Pisgah, Pilot Mountain, Rocky Face Mountain, Morrow Mountain, and the Thunder Hill outlook. The mileage for these views: 88 NW, 108 W, 79 NE, 53 NNW, 43 E, 77 NW. I cannot verify these, but it's been rumored you can. The views for Mt. Mitchell, Mt Pisgah, and Pilot Mtn are incredibly rare though: you must go at sunrise in the late autumn/winter and after a cold front so the smog doesn't develop...

Old 03-13-2021, 04:42 PM

18 posts, read 20,379 times
You can see Seattle's skyline from all over in Puget Sound with the right vantage points.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:20 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I can see Midland's skyline from at least 20 miles out i figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.