Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times

Advertisements

I would definately use it in California. I'd much rather sit on a comfy train than drive in traffic or deal with the hassles of flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Yes, I would. It would definitely get a lot of use between NO and Houston.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yes, I would. It would definitely get a lot of use between NO and Houston.
Agreed, that drive is a pain in the neck (literally) and the back (literally).

Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The Florida line will reach speeds of around 200mph between Orlando and Miami. The Orlando to Tampa (the first high speed rail line in the US) line will only hit about 130mph because the cities are so close. But it will still cut the hour long drive into a 30 min train ride.
I only see the Tampa - Miami line hitting true HSR , the Tampa - Orlando line wouldn't hit that due to too many stations close together. Florida also needs to build base systems for these HSR lines otherwise ridership with be low. What i mean by base systems , is a network of Light Rail , Streetcars or a Metrorail. Put want something that will shuttle them around the city once they get to it , buses don't really count. Since most people won't ride them. By the End of the decade it will only take 3hrs to travel form Boston-DC by 230mph Trains which is looking like it will happen sometime this decade in phases.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Agreed, that drive is a pain in the neck (literally) and the back (literally).
It's going to be a pain in the rear to actually try to build this thing accross the swamp. The environmentalists are already going nuts and using the current rails would slow things up considerably.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
It's going to be a pain in the rear to actually try to build this thing accross the swamp. The environmentalists are already going nuts and using the current rails would slow things up considerably.
I've been watching the "bullet train" rapid transit development and propositions for a while. This is certainly there to relieve airline travel, which is taking a huge slump these days.

As airline companies begin to disappear like Northwest, Continental, and US Airways (They're on the break of either merging like the others or collapsing and dying out) airline markets are creating a monopoly. Which means increase in airfare and other costs.

Everywhere else outside of the USA, like in France, Germany, Italy, Japan, China, India, UK, everywhere basically in Europe people rely more on transit bullet train travel then planes, because of airfare costs and hassles that come with it.

And slowly we're adopting that idea too.

Folks, try to understand Bullet train rapid transit systems are not commuter rail or light rails, those are for inside the metropolitan area/city.

These will be between one city and another, the only difference is, some trains already exist like this in USA, the thing about them is, they are not rapid transit systems (bullet trains). So the USA will be starting projects for this in nearly all megaregions (yes all, not just the bigger ones like ChiPitt, SanSan, or BosWash) and it'll connect cities with each other.
Then eventually they'll starting connecting mega regions with each other, as time goes on and demand increases.

Look at that map I posted in my first post, the second picture, the larger tracks as you can see the ones that are very wide like the ones between Houston and Dallas or Chicago and Detroit and the ones that look wide like that will be highspeed rail (rapid transit) and the thinner ones will be buses until they develop more demand for highspeed rail later on, and the dotted lines those are future bus plans that will come in.

As for building it through swamps and stuff, we'll manage, I mean we are America of course! If we can send a guy to the moon, then building a rapid transit across the swamplands of East Texas (Beaumont) and West Louisiana will be a piece of cake for them. I mean they'll find ways to avoid it somehow!

Our future:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Shinkansen_S500_kyoutei.jpg (broken link)

I say we embrace it, I mean it's going to be there to benefit our needs.

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-19-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I only see the Tampa - Miami line hitting true HSR , the Tampa - Orlando line wouldn't hit that due to too many stations close together. Florida also needs to build base systems for these HSR lines otherwise ridership with be low. What i mean by base systems , is a network of Light Rail , Streetcars or a Metrorail. Put want something that will shuttle them around the city once they get to it , buses don't really count. Since most people won't ride them. By the End of the decade it will only take 3hrs to travel form Boston-DC by 230mph Trains which is looking like it will happen sometime this decade in phases.
Ohhhh......that would be sweet! I would love to hang out in DC for the weekend and bypass the hassles of Logan, Reagan/Dulles airports or the headache of driving I-95, getting to NYC will be better too as that stretch of I-95 in Connecticut must exist in hell, not to mention you hit brake lights more often than not approaching the GW bridge NY-NJ. Right now the Boston-NYC Acela run is a little over 3 hours, which is a better option than th 4-5 hour drive, but the speed could certainly be upgraded since one could travel on the TGV from Paris to Nice in 3 hours which is a much greater distance.

I also find the train rides through rural areas of the US a lot more scenic than the interstates.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Ohhhh......that would be sweet! I would love to hang out in DC for the weekend and bypass the hassles of Logan, Reagan/Dulles airports or the headache of driving I-95, getting to NYC will be better too as that stretch of I-95 in Connecticut must exist in hell, not to mention you hit brake lights more often than not approaching the GW bridge NY-NJ. Right now the Boston-NYC Acela run is a little over 3 hours, which is a better option than th 4-5 hour drive, but the speed could certainly be upgraded since one could travel on the TGV from Paris to Nice in 3 hours which is a much greater distance.

I also find the train rides through rural areas of the US a lot more scenic than the interstates.
There currently upgrading the Entire NEC form DC to New Haven so the average speeds will be higher around 130mph. Amtrak is also studying and planning how to build the 230mph HSL. It would run on separate tracks the what we have now. Ridership on Northeast Regional & the Acela are also up. Some peak trains are near sold out.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
As for building it through swamps and stuff, we'll manage, I mean we are America of course! If we can send a guy to the moon, then building a rapid transit across the swamplands of East Texas (Beaumont) and West Louisiana will be a piece of cake for them. I mean they'll find ways to avoid it somehow!
Building the tracks themselves isn't the issue. It's EPA, Save Our Wetlands, and other environmentalist groups that stand in the way.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Building the tracks themselves isn't the issue. It's EPA, Save Our Wetlands, and other environmentalist groups that stand in the way.
One would think environmentalist groups would be for this ,since it would take cars off the roads and save the environment. But i guess they can't see that , they don't want a single sea grass harmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.