Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,094 times

Advertisements

The proposed light rail network in Texas would link San Antonio with Austin, Dallas, and Houston.
Would make for some great weekend getaways!

I would make use of it if built!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Yes...but the United States has NO TRUE high speed rail corridors and Acela does not qualify as such when compared to true high speed rail like in Japan.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
If high speed rail was constructed in your area, would you use it? Lets say like in California, would you ride the rails from LA to the Bay area, or Las Vegas? Or Perhaps the Texas triangle (DFW/Austin-San Antonio/Houston), or maybe upgrade the Northeast corridor rails (the Amtak Acela train has got nothing on the TGV in France). Would you feel it was a better option as oppose to long road trips in your vehicle or short hop flights, or do you feel it is not worth the cost?
Considering I use Amtrak on a fairly regular basis where I live now (1/4 mile outside Washington DC) and also used Amtrak on a regular basis where I lived from mid-2000 to early 2008 (Harrisburg area), it's a no-brainer that I'd use higher speed rail if it were available and didn't cost and arm and a leg.

Actually, what I'd like is more reliable and more frequent rail service between Washington and downtown Richmond (talking about only rail corridors that currently exist).

Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,204 times
I would DEFINITELY use High Speed Rail, especailly if they restored the rail service between my town and Philly. I would take it to get to NYC, Newark (for school), D.C., Boston (visiting friends), and to visit my sister in Georgia.

also, Acela is a poor excuse for high speed rail. It needs to go AVERAGE at least 150mph before I'm willing to call it high speed rail.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah it does, I-45 north from Houston to Dallas, I-10 west from Houston to San Antonio, I-35 from San Antonio to Dallas. Houston and Dallas are the same distance from San Antonio. By the way, Houston does not connect more to New Orleans than it does to other Texas cities. It is 2 hours closer to Austin/San Antonio than New Orleans. New Orleans from Houston is a 5 hour drive, San Antonio and Austin each are 3 hour drives. I would know, I live in Houston and go to college in Austin, and drive to San Antonio all the time. The distance from Houston to Dallas is the same as New Orleans to Houston almost, the drive time is the same. I normally hate driving to either... hurts the shoulders. And Houston is a hybrid, it's a cross of two mega regions, refer to the map below to see what I'm talking about.
High-Speed Rail Corridor Descriptions

This map is from the DOT website, so it's official. Notice how Houston doesn't connect with any other cities in TX.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The Florida line will reach speeds of around 200mph between Orlando and Miami. The Orlando to Tampa (the first high speed rail line in the US) line will only hit about 130mph because the cities are so close. But it will still cut the hour long drive into a 30 min train ride.
Did you miss my earlier post? St. Louis-Chicago and Madison-Chicago will both be operational in less than 3 years.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
The proposed light rail network in Texas would link San Antonio with Austin, Dallas, and Houston.
Would make for some great weekend getaways!

I would make use of it if built!
No, it doesn't.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Planned / Proposed Midwestern High Speed Rail & Regional Rail Network

http://www.midwesthsr.org/images/network/midwest_hub_map_30Jun09_large.gif (broken link) Electric & Tilting Diesel

Planned / Proposed National HSR Network Speeds anywhere form 110-240mph

Northeast Network should be all True High Speed Rail by 2025 at an average speed 150-70mph and tops of 200-40mph. But the Keystone & Empire corridors will upgrade slowly. Electric & tilting diesel lines

Planned / Proposed New England High Speed Rail / Regional Rail Map speeds of 110-150mph. Electric & tilting diesel lines

Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post

This map is from the DOT website, so it's official. Notice how Houston doesn't connect with any other cities in TX.
That's weird because I always see things in Houston whenever I go to downtown of them talking about their connection with San Antonio and Dallas on this soon.

Maybe their talking about a different type of rapid transit (bullet train) system? Possibly Commuter Rail???
I mean even with inner cities it comes with levels;

Light Rail
Heavy Rail

Old 05-19-2010, 11:42 PM

192 posts, read 504,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post

That's interesting. Houston connects to New Orleans & Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.