Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I only see the Tampa - Miami line hitting true HSR , the Tampa - Orlando line wouldn't hit that due to too many stations close together. Florida also needs to build base systems for these HSR lines otherwise ridership with be low. What i mean by base systems , is a network of Light Rail , Streetcars or a Metrorail. Put want something that will shuttle them around the city once they get to it , buses don't really count. Since most people won't ride them. By the End of the decade it will only take 3hrs to travel form Boston-DC by 230mph Trains which is looking like it will happen sometime this decade in phases.
There is no Tampa Miami line. The first phase will be a Tampa-Orlando line, which will be the first high speed rail line in the US, though it will only hit around 130 mph that is still considered high speed. Not every train is going to stop at every stop, there are going to be Tampa-Orlando direct trains, and then some that stop halfway in Lakeland.. Either way it will cut the one hour drive into a 30 min trip high speed train ride.

The seconed phase will open up a few years later linking Orlando to Miami and that will reach around the 200 mph range.

And they are planning base systems, modified bus routes, shuttles, and orlando will have its own rail system up and running in time for high speed rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:10 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
There is no Tampa Miami line. The first phase will be a Tampa-Orlando line, which will be the first high speed rail line in the US, though it will only hit around 130 mph that is still considered high speed. Not every train is going to stop at every stop, there are going to be Tampa-Orlando direct trains, and then some that stop halfway in Lakeland.. Either way it will cut the one hour drive into a 30 min trip high speed train ride.

The seconed phase will open up a few years later linking Orlando to Miami and that will reach around the 200 mph range.

And they are planning base systems, modified bus routes, shuttles, and orlando will have its own rail system up and running in time for high speed rail.
I think there lying to you guys down there. Theres way too many stops on the Tampa - Orlando to hit 130 , maybe 100mph max. As for 200mph , its to early to see. and i fear Florida is putting to much on its commuter / HSR plans and not enough one base systems which it really needs. If you don't have base systems in cities HSR won't work aswell.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I think there lying to you guys down there. Theres way too many stops on the Tampa - Orlando to hit 130 , maybe 100mph max. As for 200mph , its to early to see. and i fear Florida is putting to much on its commuter / HSR plans and not enough one base systems which it really needs. If you don't have base systems in cities HSR won't work aswell.
Like I said there are going to be direct trains from Orlando to Tampa those will be hitting the 130's. Besides there is only one stop outside of tampa and Orlando and that is lakeland (the mid point) and only some trains will stop there. You aren't some all knowing god. The trains will work fine.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about here.

Care to name all of these stops between Orlando and Tampa?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
It depends on the cost, especially compared to air travel.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:30 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It depends on the cost, especially compared to air travel.
You are right and is probably the biggest barrier for people using them. I could fly Jet Blue from Boston to NYC or drive there and park in Manhattan for less than the Amtrak Acela fares.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Like I said there are going to be direct trains from Orlando to Tampa those will be hitting the 130's. Besides there is only one stop outside of tampa and Orlando and that is lakeland (the mid point) and only some trains will stop there. You aren't some all knowing god. The trains will work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about here.

Care to name all of these stops between Orlando and Tampa?
I'm a Rail fanner , Transitbuff , and a future employee for Amtrak's Northeast Regional. After some mileage checking , i do think it will be 130mph. But i do express problems , I think Florida is putting way to much into these "Connector" trains instead of building base systems. Usually you build Base systems and then build connector lines. I know more about Trains / Transit you guys probably do , but that comes with the Territory living up here.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Personally, I think the California speed-train should have gotten underway at least 20 years ago. The funds for this project now will be catastrophic for California, and I don't think they should pursue it anymore (not unless it the state can recover in due time).

Portland-Metro area doesn't need new speed-trains; they can make better use of the Light-Rails they have now. Once a train enters downtown it slows to a painful crawl, adding lots of time to the commute.

A Westside Commuter train was implemented a couple of years ago and it isn't doing well at all (we assume it's a downfall from the local economy). I think it would do well if the line was extended clear out to Salem, at an increased speed. LOTS of Salem-Metro residents work in the Portland-Metro area.

But, back to the actual question of this thread: I would definitely use our Light-Rail more often if it travelled faster!

Last edited by Bluesmama; 05-19-2010 at 02:55 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I'm a Rail fanner , Transitbuff , and a future employee for Amtrak's Northeast Regional. After some mileage checking , i do think it will be 130mph. But i do express problems , I think Florida is putting way to much into these "Connector" trains instead of building base systems. Usually you build Base systems and then build connector lines. I know more about Trains / Transit you guys probably do , but that comes with the Territory living up here.
did we say anything about base systems in the posts you quoted? why do you keep bringing that up. The trains will still be built and they will work, they will help especially for the future growth of the area.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
did we say anything about base systems in the posts you quoted? why do you keep bringing that up. The trains will still be built and they will work, they will help especially for the future growth of the area.
But you need a Base system in each Major city ie like Tampa and Orlando for it to work properly otherwise , it won't work. Who's going to ride a Train form Tampa to Orlando , when Orlando doesn't have a system to shuttle them around the city like Light Rail or Streetcars. Amtrak's higher used lines go to cities with Base systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.